Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nearly out of hair, cant get car running correctly  (Read 2811 times)

RossMk2

• Dudley, West Midlands
    • View Profile
Nearly out of hair, cant get car running correctly
« on: 03 July 2009, 16:13:29 »

Hello people, just signed up sorry for getting straight to the point but i am at end of me wick now and hopefully you guys can help. I did post in an old thread that someone seemed to be having the same trouble but a new thread was needed! hehe

I stumbled across this thread using google (who'd have thought it!) i have an AstraMk2 running an early 94 X30XE omega engine. Its running terribly, misfires at mid range and clears further up the range.

I have changed many things, new oxygen sensors, ICV, plugs, leads, DIS pack all sorts! Tried known working MAF from other engines and still the same, i find the car is more driveable with the MAF unplugged but still a noticeable misfire real low down. I have no EML light on but when i flash the codes im getting 73 & 19 weither this is because i was running with the MAF unplugged i dont know but what i do know is a new crank sensor has been installed which i got from AutoVaux and still nothing! Anymore ideas peoples?

Thanks,
Ross

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Nearly out of hair, cant get car running correctly
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2009, 18:53:48 »

Was the crank sensor a genuine Vx part?  If not that could well be your problem! ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2009, 18:55:23 »

there have been several instances of non genuine crank sensors causing issues....

If the 19 is there....your car is not getting a good crank signal.

Send it back and get one from Vauxhall.

RossMk2

• Dudley, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2009, 10:27:57 »

Its a part from AutoVaux and have never had trouble with anything of their's before?

Also acctually changing the crank sensor didnt make a difference ot the running of the car. If the crank sensor is busted would the EML light be on, i dont understand why i can flash codes out but they dont show up themselves.

Edit: Just noticed that someone else seems to be having the same trouble and changed the CS and all was fine, surely a brand new part vaux or otherwise wouldnt be broke as soon as its been installed? Also with the engine being in the astra the crank sensor doesnt really run near anything too hot that would ruin the wiring.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2009, 10:32:50 by RossMk2 »

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2009, 10:31:09 »

stupidly 19 doesnt light the EML, despite the fact it causes bad running, stalls, and total breakdowns.

more than a few on here have had 3rd party cranksensors doing exactly the same as yours.

RossMk2

• Dudley, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2009, 10:40:11 »

How much of a wounder is it when you buy a part then it could still be that at fault? Hehe i have phoned Vaux up and they can do it me for £46 which i dont thinks a bad price, but they only list 1 type, and i know of 2!

Im gonna re-do my induction also just to make sure there are no leaks or anything but it just doesnt seem to justify a leak thats causing the problems..... i guess im just having a hard time going against the CS!  :-/

Does anyone live near Dudley who has a known working CS who wouldnt mind me coming and trying it?

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2009, 10:41:39 »

How much of a wounder is it when you buy a part then it could still be that at fault? Hehe i have phoned Vaux up and they can do it me for £46 which i dont thinks a bad price, but they only list 1 type, and i know of 2!

Im gonna re-do my induction also just to make sure there are no leaks or anything but it just doesnt seem to justify a leak thats causing the problems..... i guess im just having a hard time going against the CS!  :-/

Does anyone live near Dudley who has a known working CS who wouldnt mind me coming and trying it?

as its the wiring that often causes the issues, swapping out a good unit, may cause premature failure.

there is aguide here on a different cable routing.....behind the abs pipes, which keeps the cable a lot cooler.

RossMk2

• Dudley, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2009, 10:57:04 »

I have no ABS pipes to hide by :) hehe it goes away from the manifold and up towards the wing away from any heat source. Is there anything else that it should be kept away from?

Also just before i bite the bullet, if it is the crank sensor why does the car run better with the MAF unplugged?

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2009, 12:32:58 »

An outside bet would be a blocked exhaust, quite hard to detect and has a major effect.

Otherwise an air leak somewhere on the intake side?

RossMk2

• Dudley, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2009, 15:09:52 »

An outside bet would be a blocked exhaust, quite hard to detect and has a major effect.

Otherwise an air leak somewhere on the intake side?

Thats a new one exhaust blockage might try that! Intake air leaks i want to make double sure i have no leaks i just need to find some more piping

RossMk2

• Dudley, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2009, 16:32:20 »

Also if it was air leak or exhaust blockage wouldnt it happen all the way through the rev range?

Its only happening mid range say around 2-3k and on mid throttle, underload.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2009, 22:55:03 by RossMk2 »

RossMk2

• Dudley, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2009, 15:01:37 »

Car really playing up today, almost undriveable! Should have the crank sensor Tuesday, still not very optimistic of the fix but who knows, if anyone and thats you guys!

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2009, 15:17:05 »

crank sensor can through all sorts of codes, only for them to vanish once new sensor fitted. You may have a maf issue but fit crank sensor first and see if that sorts it all out. If the ecu does not know the crank position then all electronic timing goes to pot.
See how you go.

RossMk2

• Dudley, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2009, 15:56:47 »

crank sensor can through all sorts of codes, only for them to vanish once new sensor fitted. You may have a maf issue but fit crank sensor first and see if that sorts it all out. If the ecu does not know the crank position then all electronic timing goes to pot.
See how you go.

Thanks mate, will see what happens Tuesday! I've tried 3 different MAF's and its always the same story.

RossMk2

• Dudley, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2009, 10:21:17 »

Morning! Vauxhall will have my sensor 3pm today, will pick up after work and take it from there. Price has goneup quite a lot when i told them there is defo at least 3 different types..... mine just happens to be a dear one!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.