Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why take things off???  (Read 3991 times)

omega3000

Re: Why take things off???
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2012, 14:28:15 »

Yep, totally agree with wot he said ^

Removing/blanking the EGR does help reduce the crud in the inlet a little but not a huge amount - regular (4-5k) oil changes help keep the breathers clean much more effectively.

The SAI system gets in the way when working on the front of the engine (e.g. belt changes) and you could argue that the pump is an unnecessary weight to carry around (it's behind the N/S corner of the front bumper).  I'd say that it ain't worth going out of your way to remove it, but if you have to take it off to get into something then it's as quick to blank the pipes off as it is to put it back!  You need to blank off the vacuum hose and the pipe coming off each exhaust manifold.

What can be used for blocking off the pipes ?  :-\

HockeyDave55

• Milton Keynes
    • 2000my 3.0 police special
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2012, 16:36:55 »

Yep, totally agree with wot he said ^

Removing/blanking the EGR does help reduce the crud in the inlet a little but not a huge amount - regular (4-5k) oil changes help keep the breathers clean much more effectively.

The SAI system gets in the way when working on the front of the engine (e.g. belt changes) and you could argue that the pump is an unnecessary weight to carry around (it's behind the N/S corner of the front bumper).  I'd say that it ain't worth going out of your way to remove it, but if you have to take it off to get into something then it's as quick to blank the pipes off as it is to put it back!  You need to blank off the vacuum hose and the pipe coming off each exhaust manifold.

What can be used for blocking off the pipes ?  :-\

It has been said that spark plug without the ceramic fits nicely???

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2012, 20:48:05 »

SAI, loose it.

EGR, I'd only block off if it was problematic.

Multirams, leave in place.

Yep, defo leave all multiram gear unless you're planning to replace the entire engine management system!  Cos it'll be gutless without it.
Even with different engine management, you still want the advantages of rpm tuned inlets.

Yes, absolutely!  What I meant to say (but forgot the important part) was that to junk the multiram you would need a modified/different intake AND a new engine management system - and not use it on the road cos the bottom end torque would be gone!  Throttle bodies anyone?  Wwwhhooo-haa-haa-haa!

I'm sure I've seen a racing V6 running on Alpha-Weber set up, look sooo sexy but as you say, no good for the road!!!! Shame! Lol

Oh, lovely!!!  I recently sold a 3L V6 to a guy that's very locel to me who builds VX/Opel rally cars, he'd just spent a fortune on completely rebuilding his previous V6 for a to swallow a nut that came loose from the air box - this was on the rolling road immediately after he'd got it running!  He was gutted.  But the interesting part was that he expected to see 300bhp from my engine just by changing the cams, inlet, exhaust manifolds and EMS.  He's gonna call me when he takes it to the RR.  Should be an interesting day!
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

HockeyDave55

• Milton Keynes
    • 2000my 3.0 police special
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2012, 22:16:11 »

300? That is a magic number!  :y :y :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.