Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving in France  (Read 6823 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Driving in France
« Reply #90 on: 13 May 2014, 21:08:28 »

The ferry is about 6hrs, plus loading/unloading. Plenty of time for breakie, a tactical chunder and a kip. Driving and tunnel is always faster...

Weren't we talking about Dover/Calais? That's normally 70minutes, and often less. The longest ferry crossing I've been on was about 100minutes, and it was the roughest I've ever seen the Channel.

As said, I count the time taken for breakfast as a time saving; it means I don't need to stop until I've got well past Le Mans.
I never said Dover-Calais ;)

Ages since I've got a Dover-Calais ferry, but I've never had one managed it in the claimed 75mins (unlike Seacat, that always was about the 45mins).

I once sailed Dover-Calais on The Herald of Free Enterprise...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 13 May 2014, 21:09:00 »

The reason you can't take an LPG car on the tunnel, but you can take a caravan with LPG bottles on is quite simple... or so I have been told ......  :)

When the chunnel was simply a concept all sorts of "risk assessments" had to be compiled covering differing fuels/volumes/types of vehicle/number of passengers etc etc etc

Quite simply, no "risk assessment" for LPG powered vehicles was carried out, as they simply were not considered - probably due to very low numbers of such at the time - but caravans with LPG cylinders were considered so a "risk assessment" was done.

The licence to operate the chunnel is based on adherence to the factors and procedures laid out in those assessments. So no "risk assessment" equals no licence to carry.

The obvious question is "why not simply do a risk assessment now" .. the answer is cost, both the cost of actually doing the assessment and also the cost of then implementing any additional factors it identifies....... for the number of LPG powered vehicles that might wish to use the chunnel, the costs far outweigh the commercial viability.

That's my understanding of the situation anyway ...  :)

but ..... if you remember, caravans weren't initially allowed on the Chunnel  ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 13 May 2014, 21:24:00 »

but ..... if you remember, caravans weren't initially allowed on the Chunnel  ;)

Perhaps .. but AFAIK that had nowt to do with LPG as a vehicle fuel .... this is something I found ..

.....LPG vehicles have never been banned on safety grounds. The tunnel was first opened for petrol and diesel vehicles and originally permission was not sought for alternatively fuelled vehicles. At the time there were under 3500 LPG vehicles on British roads, but now there are over 100,000 and with France has experiencing a similar rate of growth, an application has been made to the operators for a change in the carriage regulations to allow LPG powered vehicles."

2 Dec 2002 Hansard

Mr. David Stewart: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what plans he has to review the ban on the use of vehicles which use LPG fuel from the Channel Tunnel. [83519]
Reply was
Mr. Jamieson: Eurotunnel's original applications for operating certificates excluded the carriage of LPG and dual-fuelled vehicles. It is for the company to come forward with proposals to extend the range of its services to include these vehicles; Eurotunnel has been keeping its policy under review. If the company does seek to extend the scope of its services to include these vehicles, it will first need the agreement of the Channel Tunnel Intergovernmental Commission, acting on the advice of the independent binational Channel Tunnel Safety Authority, to its proposals.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 13 May 2014, 21:31:13 »

As a matter of interest .. this discussion has taken place previously ....

http://oldsite.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1201210159/0

some 6 years ago and nowt has changed !!!

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 13 May 2014, 23:44:53 »

As a matter of interest .. this discussion has taken place previously ....

http://oldsite.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1201210159/0

some 6 years ago and nowt has changed !!!
Do the french still not like us  :-\ :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.