Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving in France  (Read 6874 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Driving in France
« Reply #75 on: 13 May 2014, 09:03:27 »

as you can't have a meal, couple of coffees and a piss just before you disembark on the train!

You can if you use the facilities on your caravan  ;) ;)

You're weird :o

We've used the Chunnel while towing the caravan to French France a few times ....... embark ......... eat ..... disembark

So, I can't even take my car containing an LPG tank on the train, but you're sitting in your burger van, on the train, cooking yourself dinner using it?
Who said we used the gas? ???  ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 13 May 2014, 10:45:01 »

as you can't have a meal, couple of coffees and a piss just before you disembark on the train!

You can if you use the facilities on your caravan  ;) ;)

You're weird :o

We've used the Chunnel while towing the caravan to French France a few times ....... embark ......... eat ..... disembark

So, I can't even take my car containing an LPG tank on the train, but you're sitting in your burger van, on the train, cooking yourself dinner using it?
Who said we used the gas? ???  ;)
Not cold Beanz, surely? :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 13 May 2014, 10:55:36 »

It always amazes me that you cant take an LPG car through the tunnel but you can take a caravan with gas bottles....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 13 May 2014, 11:11:39 »

It always amazes me that you cant take an LPG car through the tunnel but you can take a caravan with gas bottles....

True ...... I thnk the reasoning is that a caravan's calor bottles have a valve that you can phyically turn to off  :-\  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 13 May 2014, 11:14:37 »

True ...... I thnk the reasoning is that a caravan's calor bottles have a valve that you can phyically turn to off  :-\  :-\

Excuse I heard is that it was insurance and the type of fuel a vehicle uses, rather than the LPG/bottle element.  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 13 May 2014, 11:30:36 »

Excuse I heard is that it was insurance and the type of fuel a vehicle uses, rather than the LPG/bottle element.  :-\

But it's the same fuel as a caravan cooker uses - exactly. And an LPG car does have a shut off valve. It's operated by the ignition key. ;D

No, I'm sure it was some 'elf and safety pen-pusher who doesn't know the first thing about the subject. He probably phoned UKLPG for advice and another pen pusher there would have told him that he'd better check for certificates at the entrance to the train because if a DIY conversion got on the train it would be akin to carrying "a bomb".

Of course, caravan LPG installations never leak. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 13 May 2014, 11:56:29 »

But it's the same fuel as a caravan cooker uses - exactly. And an LPG car does have a shut off valve. It's operated by the ignition key. ;D

No, I'm sure it was some 'elf and safety pen-pusher who doesn't know the first thing about the subject. He probably phoned UKLPG for advice and another pen pusher there would have told him that he'd better check for certificates at the entrance to the train because if a DIY conversion got on the train it would be akin to carrying "a bomb".

And neither do gas bottles.....do they The Boy !  ;D ;D ;D ;D :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 13 May 2014, 12:34:28 »

Quite. :-X  ::)

We know bricks don't contain them that well. Even unobtainable ones. Given the choice between a flimsy train doing 160k's and the iron hull of a cross channel ferry barely moving, I know where I'll be taking my chances. ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 13 May 2014, 18:21:43 »

Run by cheese eating surrender monkeys, 'nuf said. Idiots.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 13 May 2014, 18:23:14 »

I prefer the boat, get to to the back of the ship, wave Dover off. Get a bit of sea air, then inside for a greasy breakie and by the time that is all done you are in France.

Nice and fresh for the next leg.

Done the train, it's like being in the tube in the car. Not very nice, not that much quicker really. Less of a break and generally far more expensive each time I've looked to go.
The ferry is about 6hrs, plus loading/unloading. Plenty of time for breakie, a tactical chunder and a kip. Driving and tunnel is always faster...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 13 May 2014, 18:27:20 »

That's an instant ban  >:(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 13 May 2014, 18:29:36 »

The bugger has messed about so I can't ban him
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 13 May 2014, 18:36:43 »

Sussed it

<evil cackle>
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 13 May 2014, 19:19:24 »

The reason you can't take an LPG car on the tunnel, but you can take a caravan with LPG bottles on is quite simple... or so I have been told ......  :)

When the chunnel was simply a concept all sorts of "risk assessments" had to be compiled covering differing fuels/volumes/types of vehicle/number of passengers etc etc etc

Quite simply, no "risk assessment" for LPG powered vehicles was carried out, as they simply were not considered - probably due to very low numbers of such at the time - but caravans with LPG cylinders were considered so a "risk assessment" was done.

The licence to operate the chunnel is based on adherence to the factors and procedures laid out in those assessments. So no "risk assessment" equals no licence to carry.

The obvious question is "why not simply do a risk assessment now" .. the answer is cost, both the cost of actually doing the assessment and also the cost of then implementing any additional factors it identifies....... for the number of LPG powered vehicles that might wish to use the chunnel, the costs far outweigh the commercial viability.

That's my understanding of the situation anyway ...  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 13 May 2014, 19:33:18 »

The ferry is about 6hrs, plus loading/unloading. Plenty of time for breakie, a tactical chunder and a kip. Driving and tunnel is always faster...

Weren't we talking about Dover/Calais? That's normally 70minutes, and often less. The longest ferry crossing I've been on was about 100minutes, and it was the roughest I've ever seen the Channel.

As said, I count the time taken for breakfast as a time saving; it means I don't need to stop until I've got well past Le Mans.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.