Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravan holiday  (Read 1263 times)

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
Caravan holiday
« on: 18 June 2007, 20:52:51 »

Well i've done it now. Just got back from our jolly caravan jaunt around cornwall, and the missus and the kids are hooked! Now they want to upgrade  already from our 12 foot to a bigger one. So looks like i may have to upgrade the car as well. I thought my 2.5 auto would handle it easily but after about 60 mph ( i know, i know) the fuel gauge goes down at an alarming rate the temp gauge creeps up to over 105 constantly and the auto box goes spastic changing up to top and lock up and back down again so that it becomes annoying. I was only trying to keep up with a 1.9 tdi auto Galaxy.

Before i left i seviced the car and made dam sure the auto fluid wasn't black and toppped up to correct level at the right temp etc...  but i found when i pulled up at the services for more petrol the cooling fans were flat out and the temp wouldn't come down until i tickled the revs to 2000 then it dropped to normal about 95.  I know the coolants good ( recent heater valve system flush incl. rad.) so any ideas from you OOF guys, would be appreciated. Thinking poss thermostat but normally its okay. Cheers :-X
You came in that, your braver than i thought

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan holiday
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2007, 21:07:37 »

Clean the cooling system out with a good flushing agent.....i.e. Forte (not cheap though)

Go to be the best starting point.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2007, 21:31:13 »

What does your caravan weigh in at?  I pull a 15.5ft with my 2.2, it returns 23mpg and rarely overheats, but it only weighs 850kg unladen.  With a 2.5 I'd have to watch the speedo :-X
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2007, 21:32:18 »

I used to tow with a 2.0 no problems - leave it in sport.

The 2.6 is a good tow car, it will hold top on the level and still gets 16-18mpg or so at motorway speeds, so is not too bad to run (equivalent to a Diesel at 35-40mpg)

No overheating at all

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2007, 00:13:55 »

Somethings amiss here I tow a boat that weighs well over a ton and have no issues with economy or overheating.You mention frequent gear changes I drive a 2.5 Elite auto that has an adaptive box not sure if yours is the same. No doubt someone will be along soon to advise
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2007, 19:33:56 »

A 96 will have old software on the gearbox that isn't the best for towing...
Grumpy old man

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2007, 19:58:53 »

Cheers all, Leaving in sport mode sounds like an option. Not sure of weight of van but its only a 12 foot early '80s abi monza Aprox 800kg's i've been told. I thought it would be a doddle too so am somewhat suprised. Mpg was about 17-20 mpg on the average as i scare myself on instant mpg!!!!

Probably been asked a load of times The Boy but is it poss. to upgrade sotware, is Trans control in engine ECU or does it have its own module  or is it in the box itself.

Also are the cams prone to wear as i've noticed the engine sounds a bit cammy but not a tappet knock if that makes sense. I fitted a pattern waterpump (a freeby from a friend who used to have a 'meega the same, checked part no. and was correct for my engine) when i done the cambelt and until now has all been okay, but the fact of revving the engine slightly to bring temp down makes me suspect the pump may not be pumping hard enough

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2007, 20:07:59 »

Probably been asked a load of times The Boy but is it poss. to upgrade sotware, is Trans control in engine ECU or does it have its own module  or is it in the box itself.
98 and later only, sorry.
Grumpy old man

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2007, 20:19:29 »

'sokay mate its not your fault :'(.  Will the later box and wiring fit an earlier car?  Grown a bit attatched to the old girl don't want to chop her in unless i have to. :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2007, 20:22:19 »

'sokay mate its not your fault :'(.  Will the later box and wiring fit an earlier car?  Grown a bit attatched to the old girl don't want to chop her in unless i have to. :(
Its the ECU, which is in the car that is flashable, but the flashable ones have a different loom...
Grumpy old man

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2007, 20:29:07 »

Its the ECU, which is in the car that is flashable, but the flashable ones have a different loom...

Now we are getting intresting cut and shutting or completely replacing looms, Love those jobs, Car electrics are my fav. No i'm not being sarcy believe it or not.  Will have to look further into this, is the box the same? :y :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2007, 20:31:44 »

Now we are getting intresting cut and shutting or completely replacing looms, Love those jobs, Car electrics are my fav. No i'm not being sarcy believe it or not.  Will have to look further into this, is the box the same? :y :y :y
The box is the same I believe...
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2007, 20:44:14 »

I have not towed with an Omega yet... but... temperature is surely to rise slightly when pulling a caravan. Omega's (well V6 as far as i know) have oil coolers built into there Rad so thats a thumbs up....

There are a few Guys on here how tow fine so would do like others have suggested.

Otherwise get an old Rangey they Tow Great and get about 18mpg towing or not ;D
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2007, 23:08:49 »

I have not towed with an Omega yet... but... temperature is surely to rise slightly when pulling a caravan. Omega's (well V6 as far as i know) have oil coolers built into there Rad so thats a thumbs up....

There are a few Guys on here how tow fine so would do like others have suggested.

Otherwise get an old Rangey they Tow Great and get about 18mpg towing or not ;D

All the autos have coolers

miggy

« Reply #14 on: 20 June 2007, 18:20:57 »

You should have no problem unless you van is well over the kerb weight of your car, I pull a 5 berth with my 2.2 and never have any issues, fuel or heating.

I used to tow a 4 berth van weighing only 950kg with a 2.0 1995 select auto and the gearbox was always up and down and overheating.

your 2.5 should not have any issues.

« Last Edit: 20 June 2007, 18:21:54 by miggy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.