Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Frustrated  (Read 2800 times)

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Frustrated
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2010, 20:44:44 »

I thought they had to be pressed in with some big press thing ? :-[
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2010, 20:46:36 »

you can measure the gap between shock and wheel rim prior to dismanteling to replicate the old camber setting, wise to check it after though.

General rule imo
judder or wobble on the brakes is brake issue
judder or wobble in a certain speed range is wheel balance, try 5 dtud balancer
judder or wobble random at any speed or condition is wishbones, just to confirm (as if it was needed) what Mark says.

With squeel, is the shimmed pad fitted on the piston side? if yes try either playing with swapping pads with shims to one side or other, or both shimmed pads to the squeeky wheel, or take the shims of the old pads and stick them onto the 2 non shimmed pads, assuming they are trade club pads.

IME nothing makes any lasting odds to sqeeling brakes except pads with decent shims either riveted or clipped on the back of the pad material.

It doesnt happen under braking .... i fitted the pad with the backing to the piston side .
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2010, 20:48:06 »

If replacing like with like then yes.

Hence the sudgestion to use polybushes.

If you bash/cut the old rubber out of the centre of the bush and then use a hack saw to cut the sleeve of the bush (from where you have removed the rubber i.e. inside to out) then the metal insert will push out easily.

Poly bushes can be inserted without a press  :y

Hence its more DIY friendly and actualy not to impossible to do without even removing the whole wishbone assembly
« Last Edit: 01 June 2010, 20:49:22 by Mark »

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2010, 21:07:30 »

If you bash/cut the old rubber out of the centre of the bush and then use a hack saw to cut the sleeve of the bush (from where you have removed the rubber i.e. inside to out) then the metal insert will push out easily.

Hence its more DIY friendly and actualy not to impossible to do without even removing the whole wishbone assembly

Mmm still sounds a bit daunting to a person who isnt good with spanners  ;D ... is there a guide on here for it ... I'll go and check  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 01 June 2010, 21:29:20 »

you can measure the gap between shock and wheel rim prior to dismanteling to replicate the old camber setting, wise to check it after though.

General rule imo
judder or wobble random at any speed or condition is wishbones, just to confirm (as if it was needed) what Mark says.

With squeel, is the shimmed pad fitted on the piston side? if yes try either playing with swapping pads with shims to one side or other, or both shimmed pads to the squeeky wheel, or take the shims of the old pads and stick them onto the 2 non shimmed pads, assuming they are trade club pads.

IME nothing makes any lasting odds to sqeeling brakes except pads with decent shims either riveted or clipped on the back of the pad material.

It doesnt happen under braking .... i fitted the pad with the backing to the piston side .
So thats option 1 out then, and its not wheel balance, so that only leaves wishbones, as said by The Master.

Could try swapping the shimmed pads around, make sure the pads sit flat in the caliper and on the piston and non piston side, do you have the old pads/shims?
« Last Edit: 01 June 2010, 21:31:20 by chrisgixer »

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2010, 21:35:59 »

General rule imo

So thats option 1 out then, and its not wheel balance, so that only leaves wishbones, as said by The Master.

Could try swapping the shimmed pads around, make sure the pads sit flat in the caliper and on the piston and non piston side, do you have the old pads/shims?

No i dont have the old ones but they didnt have any kind of backing on them at all .

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2010, 21:43:42 »

Mmm still sounds a bit daunting to a person who isnt good with spanners ;D ... is there a guide on here for it ... I'll go and check  :y
Not really necessary, just gotta be good with a hacksaw ;D ;D
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 June 2010, 21:57:47 »

Im just trying to picture what replacing the bush is like ... i'll try and get underneath it this weekend and maybe get a better picture of whats involved  :y

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 June 2010, 11:12:20 »

have you tried the steering box damper ?

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 June 2010, 11:13:05 »

« Last Edit: 02 June 2010, 11:13:38 by 1417_stuart_grange »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

Proz

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 June 2010, 14:05:07 »

have you tried the steering box damper ?

No i havn't ... where is it and what am i looking for  :y

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 June 2010, 09:11:01 »

on top of the steering box - adjustment screw and locknut.

make sure that the steerign linkages are pointing straight ahead when you want to go straight ahead, then loosen the locknut and screw in the adjuster by a very small amount. Road test. Repeat until the steering JUST won't self-centre and slacken very slightly.

expect up to 30 adjustments and road-tests until you've got it right.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 June 2010, 15:59:01 »

I don't think it is a steering damper :-/

If the Omega uses a worm and roller steering box then the adjustment screw pushes the roller against the worm and should be set so that free play is just perceptible when straight ahead.

If it is done up tight enough to make the steering tight then it will be exerting an immense force on the steering quadrant and could cause it to break and cause total loss of steering :o
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.