Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Its A None Starter, Please Help  (Read 762 times)

Anthony_2Litre

• kent
    • View Profile
Its A None Starter, Please Help
« on: 14 May 2010, 04:50:28 »

Hi all

I am having a problem with my omega, its a 96 2.0i 16V X20 XEV steel sump early engine model. It all started back when a water hose split overheating the engine causing the headgasket to go. So i fitted a new full headgasket set, cambelt kit, water pump, radiator, thermostat, fan switch, temprature sensors, HT leads, idle control valve as tick over was a bit irratic, a couple of hoses, the heater exchange valve and gave it a full service. I also changed over the crank sensor as the wire covering had become brital and was falling off, and this is where my problem got worse. I ordered the wrong one but did not notice until it was fitted and i had started the car. It did start but was poping and misfiring until it did, then it would only run in limp mode and would stall after a while if the revs where not keeped up.
This is when i checked it over and found i had got the wrong crank sensor, but due to exhausting my funds untill i next got paid i used it a few times, i must say when it did start it ran like a dream, so smooth. Well, when i had the money i brought the correct crank sensor and fitted it, but when i tried to start it, nothing, it just turned over and over, by this time i had, had about enough so i got a automotive electrical enginer to come do diagnostics on it, and lone behold they said it was down to no spark impulse from the crank sensor, so i got a replacement which i fitted but still no go, I have checked and there is no spark at the plugs.

[size=12]Could i have another doggy crank sensor, why did it have a spark, and run (sort of) with the wrong one, or is there a problem thats causing the crank sensor not to work.[/size]

:'([size=14]PLEASE HELP[/size]
:'(
« Last Edit: 14 May 2010, 04:52:48 by Vux_Man »

Welung666

Re: Its A None Starter, Please Help
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2010, 06:04:59 »

Do a paperclip test on it and report back with the codes, link is below :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2010, 07:52:46 »

pattern crank sensors have been known many times to be problematic.

And even brand new GM - no guarantee its working because its new....

Do you have codes stored, as per Welung's post, they should help narrow it down.

maximoke

• Daventry/Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2010, 08:26:59 »

If you still have the original crank sensor with dodgy covering, I'd try that to see if that one still works.

Anthony_2Litre

• kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2010, 16:35:55 »

Thanks for the feedback pps i will give the paperclip test a go and back to you.

Thanks for the help

trainmanone

• stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2010, 21:24:54 »

there are 3 types of crank sens on the 2.0l use eng num to get correct sens . i know as had same problem a few years back :y
what was that ??????

Anthony_2Litre

• kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2010, 18:38:44 »

Hello again ppl ;)

I have done the paperclip test and it comes up with just one code 19
Am i correct in saying that this is down to an incorrect RPM speed signal and that this would be caused by my crank sensor not working. :-/
Thanks for the help   ;):y ;)

Abiton

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2010, 20:53:49 »

Hello again ppl ;)

I have done the paperclip test and it comes up with just one code 19
Am i correct in saying that this is down to an incorrect RPM speed signal and that this would be caused by my crank sensor not working. :-/
Thanks for the help   ;):y ;)

I think you are.
Send andyc on here a PM with your VIN number and he'll give you a good price on a genuine sensor that should work.
 :)

Anthony_2Litre

• kent
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help ppl
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2010, 01:46:14 »

[size=14]Just an update and a plee for more help. I fitted the old crank sensor last week and the old girl has sprung back into life  :y so it turns out that the two so called new sensors where fualty  >:( but there is another couple of problems that i could do with your opinions on.
Firstly the temp gauge no longer works even though i have fitted a new sender, it was temprementle before the work, moving in a jolty manner, so i think the gauge its self is shoot but please give me your oppinions.
And secondly when the car has warmed up the revs seem to drop to the point where it stalls, although it does starts up again straight away, I have already changed the plugs, leads, idel control valve and throttle position sensor when doing the rest of the work, one of the things i thought it may be is the DIS module but once again any surgestions of the possible fualt would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for the time in reading this and i hope you can help
:y[/size]
« Last Edit: 17 June 2010, 01:51:08 by Vux_Man »

same #same#

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorks
  • dont blame me im dyslexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2010, 02:44:38 »

have you clean'd out the air line to the bottom of the inlet, thin pipe on cam cover to in take gose down by injectors, that can make the engine cut out. as for tep gauge if you take of the tep plug off the sensor and put old one back on to the plug and see if there is a dif there if not try pushing the display dash in and see if it works then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 22 queries.