Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing an Auto Gearbox  (Read 407 times)

I_want_an_Omega

Storing an Auto Gearbox
« on: 12 January 2011, 17:25:32 »

I've just got myself a spare AR35.

How do I store it, on its side (if so which side), stood upright (if so which end up).

Thanks - Rob

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Storing an Auto Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2011, 17:41:05 »

I would leave it sat on its sumps

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2011, 17:51:55 »

I would leave it sat on its sumps
so would i,thats how it sits on the car :)

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2011, 18:19:40 »

How do I store it, on its side (if so which side), stood upright (if so which end up).

Thanks - Rob

I nicked this off a thread on ABS for exactly the same query:-

If it helps, I was advised to fit the torque convertor, just push it into place, then find a piece of wood about 18" square, about 3/4" thick, chipboard is fine, drill a hole in the middle for the spigot from the Torque convertor to sit in, fit it across the end of the box and fit two bolts through the bellhousing to hold it in place, then stand the box on the bellhousing end, plug the exits as Ian said, and fill through the speedo drive hole with Dextron 3. I did that to my spare box on the advice of my Nephew, he's a very good mechanic, I won't know if it worked until I have to re-fit the box, it's been standing like that for two years now, I'll let you know when the time comes!!

Forgive me if this is against the spirit of the forum, but I'm trying to help!

Matthew

"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

Welung666

« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2011, 18:29:54 »

Thanks - Rob

If it helps, I was advised to fit the torque convertor, just push it into place, then find a piece of wood about 18" square, about 3/4" thick, chipboard is fine, drill a hole in the middle for the spigot from the Torque convertor to sit in, fit it across the end of the box and fit two bolts through the bellhousing to hold it in place, then stand the box on the bellhousing end, plug the exits as Ian said, and fill through the speedo drive hole with Dextron 3. I did that to my spare box on the advice of my Nephew, he's a very good mechanic, I won't know if it worked until I have to re-fit the box, it's been standing like that for two years now, I'll let you know when the time comes!!

Matthew

Obviously not a mig gearbox then  :-/

Leave it on it's sumps as already stated :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2011, 18:42:39 »

Thanks - Rob

Matthew

Obviously not a mig gearbox then  :-/

Leave it on it's sumps as already stated :y

It'll still be an AR25/35 but from a Carlton or Senator. IIRC Ian has had problems when he's come to use an auto box that's been stored for any length of time. If Ian has suggested this way, I'd follow that advise. He's very knowledgeable.  ;) ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2011, 23:34:03 »

Depends how long it's to be stored. If the internal friction surfaces dry out they can end up FUBAR so if it's going to be years rather than months I'd follow this advice. I would remove the sumps and clean out all the debris before you stand it on end though.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.