Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TerraClean - Any Good ?  (Read 2304 times)

John-R

• Liverpool
    • 2003 2.6 V6 CD
    • View Profile
TerraClean - Any Good ?
« on: 04 June 2013, 15:27:57 »

I was watching an old episode of Wheeler Dealers last week - the one with the Jaguar XK8 and they give it to a viewer.

Ed - me old - China used a system called "TerraClean" to decarbonise the engine - he described it as "colonic irrigation for the engine"

He took some emission readings before and after and things improved drastically and the claim is that everything is hunky dory thereafter including engine response and economy.

I know Sam Burton posted his experiences and was impressed with the results on his DTi, just wondering if anyone had any experience with this on a petrol engine.

Sam mentioned about discounts if we could arrange a meet with interested members, but at 1 hour per car it could be a long meet ! !

http://www.terraclean.co.uk/index.html
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose . . but you can't pick your friends nose !

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
Re: TerraClean - Any Good ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2013, 19:05:55 »

I doubt that it would much to a modern engine to be honest, cleaner fuels and more efficent fuel burn and emissions mean that carbon build up would be ALMOST nil.
Save your money and do a full engine service, as that would help no end.
Gary.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2013, 19:30:55 »

Bloke on ABS is asking the same question as His LC puffs some oil smoke at idle if it idles for more than 15 mins. Apparently a lot of them do. he was wondering if it would work as his should have a bit more carbon in it due to the burnt oil. Apparently its £140
Keith B

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2013, 20:11:32 »

More likely to worn valve stem seals making it smoke, or even worn cylinder bores than carbon.
Redex was supposed to cure carbon build up as well but never saw any proof that it did, except cause vast amounts of smoke untill it burnt off.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2013, 22:24:22 »

More likely to worn valve stem seals making it smoke, or even worn cylinder bores than carbon.
Redex was supposed to cure carbon build up as well but never saw any proof that it did, except cause vast amounts of smoke untill it burnt off.

Great fun wasn't it...... :D :D :y  Considered, as a kid, rigging up a washer pump, push button, not electric, to feed some Red X in on the move, James Bond style...... :D :D :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2013, 22:52:48 »

Yep, or turbo oil seals on an LC.

I also think that a modern engine rarely has significant carbon build up when you strip it down, so there isn't much to clean that a good italian tune-up or a dose of injector cleaner wouldn't sort.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2013, 23:39:29 »

Use Shell v.power...great stuff..for cleaning engine and a lot better performance  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2013, 07:16:47 »

Its a good job I'm a cinic by nature, as I actually find the bumpf for this quite believable.  :-\ But still refuse to use it. Must be snake oil, right?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2013, 08:50:49 »

The LC symptoms sound like stem seals, the 3.0 24V unit used to suffer the same (plus the seals will now be pretty old!)

As for the cleaner, anybody who has stripped a modern engine will note the lack of carbon build up. It still surprises me when I remove V6 or 4 pot heads as to how dam clean it all is. There is normaly a fine build up of soft stuff on the piston crowns but, this would re-appear in no time anyway after a clean.

Compare it to the carb engines of the 80's and earlier where the valves were encrusted in carbon the works.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2013, 08:52:46 by Marks Hornby 'OO' »

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2013, 16:14:03 »

Heard good and "bad" (by bad mean absolutey no change) reports of this - as said sounds believable - guess you pays your money and takes your chance.  Peronally wouldn't bother.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.