Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smell of oil, bemused! Any ideas?  (Read 4060 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
Re: Smell of oil, bemused! Any ideas?
« Reply #30 on: 07 January 2014, 14:23:47 »

Chrisgixer, I thought I was the only one to have oil sitting on the top of the sump pan. My CC gaskets has never leaked but were changed and sump has been resealed so where does this oil come from? I also get a faint whiff of oil when I'm out of the car or have the window open when stationary

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 January 2014, 14:30:05 »

Remeber its an Omega built by Vauxhall and they are incontinent when it comes to holding any forms of fluid..oil/coolant etc ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 January 2014, 14:32:30 »

Got the same happening on mine . No apparent leaks and only oily smell when pulling up after running  :(

I've yet to see a v engine with no oil leak, of some kind or other. So your not looking/trying hard enough. :P

Obviously if your smelling oil, then it's getting hot, so exhaust is a good place to start.

Should have seen my facelift then, dry as a bone when sold and always was

chrisgixer

« Reply #33 on: 07 January 2014, 15:08:17 »

Chrisgixer, I thought I was the only one to have oil sitting on the top of the sump pan. My CC gaskets has never leaked but were changed and sump has been resealed so where does this oil come from? I also get a faint whiff of oil when I'm out of the car or have the window open when stationary
Where to start... There's an exploded view of the crank cases in the web but I'm buggered if I can find it.
There's two sump seals, the steal sump has a sensor in at the base screws to an alloy casting, this casting can leak on its seal to the block and the subframe fouls removal. Then there's the various apertures in the block itself, oil pump as mentioned earlier, dip stick tube seal, oil pressure switch, front crank seal.
Then at the top there's the cam seals and obviously the cam cover seals.

All of these can leak down, it all ends up on top of the sump. Very difficult to spot due to surrounding parts, cam belt covers, auxiliary parts, exhaust heat shields etc.

Rear crank seal leaks into the bell housing. Only seen one of these though, and it had had gear box work prior to, which coincided with the start of the leak.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 January 2014, 15:15:26 »

Rear crank seal leaks into the bell housing. Only seen one of these though, and it had had gear box work prior to, which coincided with the start of the leak.

Mine leaked from the rear crank seal ..... no work on either engine or gearbox.  ;)

I chickened out & paid someone else to fit the GM supplied seal (£30-odd IIRC  :o ) but later had to fit down pipe to manifold exhaust seals instead of the exhaust paste they'd used and clip the lambda sensor wires to the gearbox rather than let them flap about in the breeze.  :-X

omega3000

« Reply #35 on: 07 January 2014, 16:00:15 »

Where to start... There's an exploded view of the crank cases in the web but I'm buggered if I can find it.
There's two sump seals, the steal sump has a sensor in at the base screws to an alloy casting, this casting can leak on its seal to the block and the subframe fouls removal. Then there's the various apertures in the block itself, oil pump as mentioned earlier, dip stick tube seal, oil pressure switch, front crank seal.
Then at the top there's the cam seals and obviously the cam cover seals.

All of these can leak down, it all ends up on top of the sump. Very difficult to spot due to surrounding parts, cam belt covers, auxiliary parts, exhaust heat shields etc.

My first 2.5 had a weeping rear crank seal  :'( Hope its not that  :'( Although i noticed a wiff off oil when it was started from cold yesterday  :-\

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 January 2014, 16:39:25 »

Chrisgixer,  can any of those lead to a major oil leak?  Or can I put my mind at rest with the knowledge that It's a vauxhall and they all do this  ;D

martin42

« Reply #37 on: 07 January 2014, 16:46:22 »

oil pump o ring for pressure switch just below cam covers is a favourite place for leaks on my 2.6 then got blown back onto sump & further back worth a look.

Worth a look  ;)

So we all have oil burners  :D ;D

Ps. Where about's , what side is oil pump oring pressure switch  ???
Some have more then 1 dont they  :-X :-X

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • XC90/Maserati QPV/CooperS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 January 2014, 17:48:43 »

Going back to the original post. As you've had an oil change, you sure you haven't spilt a small amount of oil down the filler pipe onto the manifold and it's just burning off.
I know it can be a bit tricky getting that first spout of oil in the neck if you're not using a funnel  ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 January 2014, 18:20:09 »

Remeber its an Omega built by Vauxhall and they are incontinent when it comes to holding any forms of fluid..oil/coolant etc ;D

You've got one of the cheap ones then, mine were built by Opel. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #40 on: 07 January 2014, 21:16:27 »

Chrisgixer,  can any of those lead to a major oil leak?  Or can I put my mind at rest with the knowledge that It's a vauxhall and they all do this  ;D

That's my way of thinking, it has to be said ;D just turn the Radio up, it'll be fine. :D

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 January 2014, 21:27:20 »

Might be off the mark but have you checked to see if any of the cam cover bolts are loose?

chrisgixer

« Reply #42 on: 07 January 2014, 21:41:10 »

Might be off the mark but have you checked to see if any of the cam cover bolts are loose?
Yep, always worth a look they do come loose.

The Waynester

• Oxfordshire
    • 1998 Omega 2.5 V6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16 January 2014, 22:45:18 »

Guys

Picking my rocker cover gaskets from VX tomorrow
what is the part number for the sealant i need to get while I'm there

Before when my gaskets went, I had the common "steam" coming from the bonnet
But this time nothing.. Still smelling of oil
Going to see Symes this Sunday for him to check all possibilities

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.