Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: air filter housing  (Read 1464 times)

Anthony in Madrid

• Intermediate Member
  • Valencia, Spain
  • It's there...Go get it!
    • 1994 2.5 V6 170 BHP
    • View Profile
air filter housing
« on: 23 May 2014, 09:21:33 »

Hi guys
Hope you are having a good day.
Recently been having a few splutters as I accelerate from slow speeds and of course I am doing investigations. Tomorrow I'm changing the plugs so this may solve the issues also if I have time I'm going to flush out the coolant too.
But this morning while checking the oil levels and air filter condition I noticed that two of the closing clips on the air filter housing were missing.  >:( so could this be contributing to the splutters as the housing isn't tightly shut and I think air may have been escaping.
Your opinions are most valued!  :y
Cheers
Anthony
« Last Edit: 23 May 2014, 09:28:39 by Anthony in Madrid »
Still learning...Be nice!

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: air filter housing
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2014, 09:26:41 »

Mm misfire,sounds like oil in plug wells. Might need cam cover gaskets, and breathers cleaning.

there a guide in the maintenance section.
Hoof'land storeman.

Anthony in Madrid

• Intermediate Member
  • Valencia, Spain
    • 1994 2.5 V6 170 BHP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2014, 10:14:56 »

Mm misfire,sounds like oil in plug wells. Might need cam cover gaskets, and breathers cleaning.
But what about the air filter housing not shut right? Could it be a contributor?

What about that thing with the air filter housing? Is that/could that be a contributor to the misfiring?
« Last Edit: 23 May 2014, 10:30:50 by Anthony in Madrid »

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2014, 14:17:07 »

But what about the air filter housing not shut right? Could it be a contributor?

What about that thing with the air filter housing? Is that/could that be a contributor to the misfiring?

Unlikely - the Air Flow Meter is in the pipe between the airbox and the bagpipes, so as long as there are no splits in the pipes near/after the AFM the ECU should manage OK.

Anthony in Madrid

• Intermediate Member
  • Valencia, Spain
    • 1994 2.5 V6 170 BHP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2014, 15:37:19 »

Unlikely - the Air Flow Meter is in the pipe between the airbox and the bagpipes, so as long as there are no splits in the pipes near/after the AFM the ECU should manage OK.
Do you think I should test the plug wells for oil and water first, then change plugs before moving on to removing the cam cover and renewing the gasket? Theres no oil leaks on the cover seals. If I find water or oil in the plug wells, whats the best way to clean them?
« Last Edit: 23 May 2014, 15:41:11 by Anthony in Madrid »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2014, 16:16:01 »

Hi Anthony, glad to see you are still Omega motoring.

If there is oil in the spark plug wells then that is likely to be cam cover seals gone. They go because the breather assembly gets clogged up with gunk and the easiest way for pressure to escape is via the cam cover. I bet your breathers have never been cleaned in nearly 20 years. :o

If you have oil in the plug wells it won't just be a case of cleaning it/them out and re inserting new or the old plugs. You will need to cure the problem. See the maintenance guides

When I saw the problem I wondered if it might be DIS Pack(The device that creates sparks for plugs and sits out of easy reach down the back of your engine. If the scuttle(bit between the windscreen and engine compartment ) drains get blocked or if there is a problem with the long rubber strip seal then water drips onto the DIS pack and literally allows it to rust away. However problems with DIS pack for me were a stutter accelerating at 50mph.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Anthony in Madrid

• Intermediate Member
  • Valencia, Spain
    • 1994 2.5 V6 170 BHP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2014, 00:26:15 »

Hi Anthony, glad to see you are still Omega motoring.

If there is oil in the spark plug wells then that is likely to be cam cover seals gone. They go because the breather assembly gets clogged up with gunk and the easiest way for pressure to escape is via the cam cover. I bet your breathers have never been cleaned in nearly 20 years. :o

If you have oil in the plug wells it won't just be a case of cleaning it/them out and re inserting new or the old plugs. You will need to cure the problem. See the maintenance guides

When I saw the problem I wondered if it might be DIS Pack(The device that creates sparks for plugs and sits out of easy reach down the back of your engine. If the scuttle(bit between the windscreen and engine compartment ) drains get blocked or if there is a problem with the long rubber strip seal then water drips onto the DIS pack and literally allows it to rust away. However problems with DIS pack for me were a stutter accelerating at 50mph.
Well thank you kindly sir for your reply to my recent post.
I'm praying that when I get to do the plugs tomorrow (Sabado) that it's just that...A simple change of plug is needed. Hope I don't have to get into the head and cams. I'm not the world's best mechanic but I'm getting that first time skydiving feeling about opening up my old lady to fix the stuff....You know, a bit nervous but excited at the same time. I've watched loads of videos on the subjects (head gasket, cams cover seal wotnot) so I'm not going in clueless.

When you say "breathers" your talking about those tennis ball sized opening rings that sit above the cams and flap open and closed right ? I think you may be right. Who cleans stuff like that? No-one except racing teams or skint enthusiasts like me ;).
I know I got to get stuck in and get the car ticking nice again so it's either do or die time.

When you said in your post "if there's is oil in the wells then it's not just a case of cleaning it
out, I'd have to cure the problem, see the guides"...which guides were you thinking of?
That would be a great help :-)

If I get the lady going I'll cruise on down to the mountains from here to see you one weekend and maybe have a potter with the car ...of course while having a cerveza or two!

Well hope to hear from you pronto.
Cheers again
Anthony
P.S. Your inbox doesn't receive messages saying it is full

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2014, 10:59:30 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90653.msg1155604#msg1155604

Covers cleaning V6 breathers.

If you use the search facility , and only check the maintenance guides , you can find a heap of good stuff in there.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2014, 11:08:37 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90653.msg1155604#msg1155604

Covers cleaning V6 breathers.

If you use the search facility , and only check the maintenance guides , you can find a heap of good stuff in there.
Or bookmark the indexes :y

Index to 'Omega common issues & FAQ'

Index to 'Maintenance Guides'
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

chrisgixer

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2014, 11:09:28 »

Air filter could be drawing is some dust, but as said, the maf is upstream, so won't affect fuel air ratio.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.