Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The snow does strange things  (Read 3493 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: The snow does strange things
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2015, 19:54:11 »

I think its mad they're putting these daft cameras in. I don't speed (wrecklessly) doing 80mph on a motorway in the middle of the night when you pass maybe 2 vehicles every half hour, what's the harm? Most motorways in Europe have much higher speed limits. Admittedly, we have one of the best safety record, but most of our urban roads have higher limits than them. Germany is one of the safest too, but 70% of their motorways are unrestricted. And they take full advantage. I was there last summer, and sitting at 100mph, is only overtaking wagons which are limited. Most cars were overtaking me and by alot. So safety and speed isn't a direct correlation......

The national speed limit is 70 mph .. all day, everyday .. if you exceed it you break the law .. it really is that simple. You ultimately have a choice ... obey the law or break it .. if you choose the  latter and get caught .. don't complain as you knew the possible consequences BEFORE you made the decision.

The law of unintended consequences would have great fun if it was decided that a "few" laws - like speeding - could be ignored ... take that point to its most extreme ...at what point would we then be "ignoring" rape and murder ?? or where do you say "its ok ..." ?? mugging ?? robbery ?? drunk driving ?? hit-and-run ??

Laws are either obeyed or broken .. there are no other options.

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2015, 20:32:49 »

A few months ago I was driving around the western M25 and all the gantry signs were showing 40, but it was 8pm, not a great deal of traffic and no accidents or hold ups.  :-\ 

That seems to happen all the time on the M25.. I'm sure the powers would be would say that there is some hazard we can't see (invisible road ghosts, as my ex would say) but the cynic in me says it's probably just a cash generating exercise!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2015, 20:53:06 »

I drovefrom Barnsley to Wakefield this morning. I was either tailgated by idiots or held up by idiots. They either want to do 80 or 15, nothing in tne middle  ;D
Still snowing here and I have to do the same journey later to pick my son up.

That's quite a trip Steve, twice a day too; I assume school related..........  :) :)
Yep. Luckily I dont drive an omega so I'm likely to get there.

;) :D :D

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2015, 22:09:01 »

until someone falls asleep in the control room

Not controlled from any control room, they are done by traffic sensors measuring volumes of cars automatically

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2015, 22:28:43 »

I think its mad they're putting these daft cameras in. I don't speed (wrecklessly) doing 80mph on a motorway in the middle of the night when you pass maybe 2 vehicles every half hour, what's the harm? Most motorways in Europe have much higher speed limits. Admittedly, we have one of the best safety record, but most of our urban roads have higher limits than them. Germany is one of the safest too, but 70% of their motorways are unrestricted. And they take full advantage. I was there last summer, and sitting at 100mph, is only overtaking wagons which are limited. Most cars were overtaking me and by alot. So safety and speed isn't a direct correlation......

The national speed limit is 70 mph .. all day, everyday .. if you exceed it you break the law .. it really is that simple. You ultimately have a choice ... obey the law or break it .. if you choose the  latter and get caught .. don't complain as you knew the possible consequences BEFORE you made the decision.

The law of unintended consequences would have great fun if it was decided that a "few" laws - like speeding - could be ignored ... take that point to its most extreme ...at what point would we then be "ignoring" rape and murder ?? or where do you say "its ok ..." ?? mugging ?? robbery ?? drunk driving ?? hit-and-run ??

Laws are either obeyed or broken .. there are no other options.

Don't patronise Nige ..................

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2015, 23:08:43 »

Not controlled from any control room, they are done by traffic sensors measuring volumes of cars automatically

Sensors must have fallen asleep then...  :-\  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 January 2015, 23:11:18 »

Smart motorways are all well and good until someone falls asleep in the control room.  ::)

A few months ago I was driving around the western M25 and all the gantry signs were showing 40, but it was 8pm, not a great deal of traffic and no accidents or hold ups.  :-\ 

I assumed that they had been left like that from the rush hour.....   ::)  >:(
Or...the motorway is only smart if the operator is smart. So it depends on where you are in the country. In the West Country, yokels will have it set at 10mph for their haywains. ;D

No smart roads around here, just clogged up ones especially in the summer with all the caravanists.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2015, 23:12:54 »

Sensors must have fallen asleep then...  :-\  ;D
Probably got bored with all that traffic trundling along at a heady 40mph... ::)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.