Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5V6 cambelt change  (Read 5945 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5V6 cambelt change
« Reply #30 on: 17 September 2016, 10:33:11 »

Yes, so many idiots, including "professionals" have egos bigger than abilities and think they can do it without the locking/timing kit. And it ends up being wrong.
Grumpy old man

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 September 2016, 10:34:29 »

Yes, so many idiots, including "professionals" have egos bigger than abilities and think they can do it without the locking/timing kit. And it ends up being wrong.

I bought the sykes pickavant set. Which I was told were a good make.....I hope so :o

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 September 2016, 10:41:25 »

Its likely the crank is 1 tooth out, looking at those.  Probably previously fitted by somebody who thought they could do it without a locking kit.

Ok, the engine seems to run fine. But using the locking kit I've got I will correct the issue.

Is this common with people who try not to use the locking kits then? :)

Yes. The timing tools are often misunderstood; the locks are to save you needing extra hands, but the gauge and crank tool are actually the heart of the set.

The other cause is not turning the engine through enough times. With 5 toothed pulleys, up to 3 adjustable rollers, and long belt runs there are lots of potential causes of the timing being wrong. Mine was a tooth out on all four cams, and had extra Tippex marks which is a sure sign of not using the timing tools. Having said that, I do like to highlight the original marks.

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 September 2016, 10:43:27 »

Its likely the crank is 1 tooth out, looking at those.  Probably previously fitted by somebody who thought they could do it without a locking kit.

Ok, the engine seems to run fine. But using the locking kit I've got I will correct the issue.

Is this common with people who try not to use the locking kits then? :)

Yes. The timing tools are often misunderstood; the locks are to save you needing extra hands, but the gauge and crank tool are actually the heart of the set.

The other cause is not turning the engine through enough times. With 5 toothed pulleys, up to 3 adjustable rollers, and long belt runs there are lots of potential causes of the timing being wrong. Mine was a tooth out on all four cams, and had extra Tippex marks which is a sure sign of not using the timing tools. Having said that, I do like to highlight the original marks.

I must admit I did take a second glance until I realised like the four cylinder cars the pulley have multiple timing marks depending what camshaft they are fitted too.

Thanks

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 September 2016, 10:51:22 »

Can anyone help with locating a few parts....

While removing the covers to get at the water pump / cambelt it was obvious a few things were broken;

1.The plastic cable trunking running across the front of the engine is snapped where it turns 90 degrees around the side of the engine.
2.The rubber mounts that hold the secondary air steel pipe in place. The rubber had come away from the steel back plate. The smaller of the two.
3.The very front screw that holds the air filter lid was rounded off and left undone. I only noticed when I removed the air box lid. The air filter inside is like new so the  history of the car looks good.

You can replace the rubber mounts with a spacer the same thickness and a bolt. Super glue a stack of washers together if you can't make a one-piece spacer. It's probably been loose since the last time someone removed it, so don't worry too much.

As there are several other retaining screws on the air filter lid I wouldn't worry about one not being tightened. That's less of a bodge than an assortment of woodscrews wound in with a drill which is the usual solution.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 September 2016, 10:53:29 »

I bought the sykes pickavant set. Which I was told were a good make.....I hope so :o
I use an SP set :y.  After destroying my first set in the explosion, I replaced with another SP set.  So you can guess I rate it :y

It was a batch of the Laser ones that were all faulty (or they were fake).
Grumpy old man

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 September 2016, 11:00:00 »

Can anyone help with locating a few parts....

While removing the covers to get at the water pump / cambelt it was obvious a few things were broken;

1.The plastic cable trunking running across the front of the engine is snapped where it turns 90 degrees around the side of the engine.
2.The rubber mounts that hold the secondary air steel pipe in place. The rubber had come away from the steel back plate. The smaller of the two.
3.The very front screw that holds the air filter lid was rounded off and left undone. I only noticed when I removed the air box lid. The air filter inside is like new so the  history of the car looks good.

You can replace the rubber mounts with a spacer the same thickness and a bolt. Super glue a stack of washers together if you can't make a one-piece spacer. It's probably been loose since the last time someone removed it, so don't worry too much.

As there are several other retaining screws on the air filter lid I wouldn't worry about one not being tightened. That's less of a bodge than an assortment of woodscrews wound in with a drill which is the usual solution.

Thanks, I just like to replace parts where possible with standard set up. But your idea will be fine if nothing comes up.

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 September 2016, 11:00:25 »

I use an SP set :y.  After destroying my first set in the explosion, I replaced with another SP set.  So you can guess I rate it :y

It was a batch of the Laser ones that were all faulty (or they were fake).

That's good to know..... :)

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 November 2016, 14:18:03 »

Hi James.  Are you still ok with helping me with my cambelt change. if so what would be the best time for me to arrive at your house to sort it all out.

Thanks
Neil.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26 November 2016, 04:03:12 »

Hi James.  Are you still ok with helping me with my cambelt change. if so what would be the best time for me to arrive at your house to sort it all out.

Thanks
Neil.

Hi Neil

Happy for you to use all my tools and to guide you through the job.

That said however my back has taken a turn for the worse and I'm unable to do anything physical at all

Cheers
James

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26 November 2016, 13:32:41 »

Hi James. No worries i'll do the work needed. and truth be told It will just be good to get an important job done on the car and talk to someone who likes the cars and has repaired several over the years.

Thanks
Neil.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.