Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5V6 cambelt change  (Read 5979 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5V6 cambelt change
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2016, 09:03:02 »

Transfer pipe-  can only be found at main dealer or heebay for ex-dealer stock (as far as I'm aware)
Stat -Wahler or GM for the thermostat (Wahler is OEM) about £20
PAS Fluid - from your dealer £4.80 trade price (why get it elsewhere at that price)
Drive Belt - 6PK 2020 from any motorfactor. (that's 6 x grooves and 2020mm long) genuine GM will be about £28, independant Gates cost me about £18. Gates is a very good make, probably make the GM ones!
Timing Kit can be any make. They get advertised as GM, Contitech, Gates, SKF - made. ABout £100, but there was one found on Amazon for something daft like £50 and used wityh good results, Someone might be able to direct you to this. Nomatter which kit you buy, even if it's for the 3.2 can be 'made to fit' any other V6, by reusing your existing backplate, so you can't buy the 'wrong' kit even if you try. (famous last words)

:y
Here's a kit at £34 on e-bay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-New-Vauxhall-Omega-Astra-Vectra-Calibra-Timing-Belt-kit-93174261-V18-/252184093966?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega&hash=item3ab757e50e:g:bHEAAOSwjVVVripx

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2016, 09:07:17 »

Now matter how cheap it is, a four cylinder belt-kit won't fit a V6!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 September 2016, 14:59:28 »

James V6s suggestion is a fine one. His real name is 'Yoda' when it comes to V6s  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 September 2016, 15:35:27 »

Long time no hear James. Sorry to hear of your problem
Ron

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2016, 18:38:06 »

Also Autovaux..... no .... just no  ;)

Why not when I can buy genuine parts for less than Vauxhall charge me. They have great customer service, parts arrive quickly.

It really annoys me when people make comments like that with no statement to justify it.

I can easily Justify it.

From autovaux I have ordered "genuine" omega v6 cam cover gaskets and have been sent Elring.

"Genuine" spark plugs that have not been genuine.

When I order parts from Vauxhall they come in GM branded bags and fit.

Every time I have asked for GM parts I get GM parts with GM stickers etc. If I don't ask I get pattern parts as they are cheaper. Never had an issue with what I've ordered from them ever.

Each to their own. :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2016, 18:40:28 »

Transfer pipe-  can only be found at main dealer or heebay for ex-dealer stock (as far as I'm aware)
Stat -Wahler or GM for the thermostat (Wahler is OEM) about £20
PAS Fluid - from your dealer £4.80 trade price (why get it elsewhere at that price)
Drive Belt - 6PK 2020 from any motorfactor. (that's 6 x grooves and 2020mm long) genuine GM will be about £28, independant Gates cost me about £18. Gates is a very good make, probably make the GM ones!
Timing Kit can be any make. They get advertised as GM, Contitech, Gates, SKF - made. ABout £100, but there was one found on Amazon for something daft like £50 and used wityh good results, Someone might be able to direct you to this. Nomatter which kit you buy, even if it's for the 3.2 can be 'made to fit' any other V6, by reusing your existing backplate, so you can't buy the 'wrong' kit even if you try. (famous last words)

:y
Here's a kit at £34 on e-bay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-New-Vauxhall-Omega-Astra-Vectra-Calibra-Timing-Belt-kit-93174261-V18-/252184093966?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega&hash=item3ab757e50e:g:bHEAAOSwjVVVripx

As Nick says won't fit a v6 read description. Mercedes sprinter aux belt same as v6.
Hoof'land storeman.

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2016, 18:51:49 »

Ok had a slight hitch. The water pump failed today and I had to be recovered by the AA. No problem as I was planning on doing the cambelt etc this weekend anyway.

My problem is the timing marks. They don't line up. They are one tooth out on all four camshafts. But the engine runs fine and sounds exactly as it did before. So when I do the cambelt do I realign the crank or leave it alone. As if I put the crank in the correct position the camshaft locking tools will not engage.

Opinions please? See pictures below.

Camshafts aligned, see picture of the crankshaft out of position

Crankshaft aligned, see picture of the camshaft out of position (sorry forgot to take cams 3&4 but they are out by the same position).

Thanks

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2016, 20:07:18 »

You MUST use the alignment tool that looks a bit like a 8 on its side (with the ends missing)... The timing marks on the backplate are not accurate at all ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2016, 20:12:13 »

You MUST use the alignment tool that looks a bit like a 8 on its side (with the ends missing)... The timing marks on the backplate are not accurate at all ;)

I will, I haven't taken the belt off yet. But its good to know that the timing marks are rubbish.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 September 2016, 20:17:19 »

I will, I haven't taken the belt off yet. But its good to know that the timing marks are rubbish.

You set it up with the timing tool :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2016, 20:33:21 »

They're not rubbish, but are just meant as a rough guide. This is typical complicated German design, as it could have been arranged it so that each pulley had marks that aligned with its neighbour, and  better crank marks.

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2016, 20:47:21 »

Thanks

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 September 2016, 10:22:58 »

Its likely the crank is 1 tooth out, looking at those.  Probably previously fitted by somebody who thought they could do it without a locking kit.
Grumpy old man

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 September 2016, 10:26:29 »

Can anyone help with locating a few parts....

While removing the covers to get at the water pump / cambelt it was obvious a few things were broken;

1.The plastic cable trunking running across the front of the engine is snapped where it turns 90 degrees around the side of the engine.
2.The rubber mounts that hold the secondary air steel pipe in place. The rubber had come away from the steel back plate. The smaller of the two.
3.The very front screw that holds the air filter lid was rounded off and left undone. I only noticed when I removed the air box lid. The air filter inside is like new so the  history of the car looks good.

Has anyone got good second hand items or can they point me in the right direction to find some for sale?

Thanks

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 September 2016, 10:27:32 »

Its likely the crank is 1 tooth out, looking at those.  Probably previously fitted by somebody who thought they could do it without a locking kit.

Ok, the engine seems to run fine. But using the locking kit I've got I will correct the issue.

Is this common with people who try not to use the locking kits then? :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.