Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone shed some light on this weird fault?  (Read 3740 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone shed some light on this weird fault
« Reply #30 on: 25 November 2006, 09:25:42 »

Considering that the hill-climbing problem only happens with petrol and not with gas, it is likely to be the fuel system that is at fault… and the fact that it only happens uphill and not when accelerating hard on level ground, suggests fuel system is probably having difficulties pumping up the fuel against gravity.

I would start with replacing the fuel filter (as suggested before), then checking the fuel pump – though you will need some kit to check the pressure in the fuel system. Also, again as mentioned before, maybe the fuel tank vent could be at fault. But start with Fuel filter… it is located underneath the car in the rear just in front of the fuel tank.
« Last Edit: 25 November 2006, 09:26:50 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 November 2006, 09:26:28 »

As for anti-freeze smell from the blower, this suggests a leak in the heater matrix… check the expansion bottle carefully, are you loosing any coolant at all? Getting to the heater matrix is a pain, but needs to be done (or disconnect it) because left to its own devices it will eventually result in a wet carpets…

« Last Edit: 25 November 2006, 10:27:34 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 November 2006, 10:55:40 »

Ok folks, an update!

After sitting on my arse for a few days, reading everything I can find, listening to you guys and dissecting an old TIS that I found (from a previous Vectra that I owned a few years ago) I discovered all I could about this knock sensor.

So I waited for it to stop raining and reset the ECU by dropping the battery for 24 hours and then turning ignition on until all lights (except the EML) go out then turning it off 30 times (without starting it). I had a fiddle and couldn't work out where the cable to the knock sensor went. I d/c the ECU (after dropping the battery again) and reseated it. I pulled gently on the sensor cable and then pushed that lovely (sic) protection plastic over it - and guess what?

It worked! Light off, revved the nuts off it, no light! Took it for a spin - perfect! No missing or hissy fits! Not tackled a hill yet tho... Next week will be attempting that I hope.

Right, found that the clutch is hydraulic - a surprise as I had no idea they weren't cable driven. Got to get it bled I think, may solve the problem. Optionally I have been told that the clutch pedal may be on a ratchet system that auto adjusts and may need re-adjusting in the footwell - not sure about that!

Not much more to do then I hope we will be home free!

Watch this space for the next series of the Andiman bursting into tears and rocking in the corner, dribbling over more financial outlay!

Cheers

Andi
Glad that seems to have solved it, though it may be worth thinking about replacing it (around £40 for part IIRC).  Also, worth following Markjay's advice with fuel filter...
Grumpy old man

Andiman

• Burton-on-Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 November 2006, 11:05:39 »

Hi folks,

Thanks for coming back to me and not giving up!

Not had a chance to try it on Gas yet Markjay, will be doing so when the car is road legal (hopefully next week). Will change the fuel filter as matter of course I think.

With regards to the fuel vent, I have found the cover in the boot, but the gas bottle is well and truly bolted down on top of it! The thought of having to unbolt and move the cannister before playing in that area fills me with dread, but as there is no light on at the mo, I am oing to keep an eye on it and see if one is not tied in with the idea.

Watch this space - and thanks again for all your help.

Andi
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.