Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TC/ABS and Speedo issue?  (Read 1009 times)

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • M/facelift 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
TC/ABS and Speedo issue?
« on: 11 April 2011, 19:27:00 »

Strange goings on.  The good lady rang me on way home said problem with miggy,

the TC and ABS light had come one and said that the speedo wasn't working.  Ten mins later she arrives home, parks car outside house Half on rd half on path.
 When I look at the dash both the TC and ABS lights are on (been on for half mile. then both lights go out, when I get in car they both come on again.  I go to rev engine and realise she has left it in drive, both lights go out.

Took car for a spin round block and speedo working and no TC/ABS lights on.  Went round again still no probs.

Car went on a 100 mile run yesterday and all ok.

Have checked the TC switch that's ok (not sticking)

I know the front pads are due to be replaced

The only work I have done on car in past week was replaced rear shocks

The engine revs freely

No codes other than the usual crank sensor.

Have also checked the Aux tensioner and that is ok.

Anyone got any ideas/pointers as to what might be going on.

I have noticed that the car has lost its throughty exhaust note, could this be due to internal colapse of the packing.

The faster you go the bigger the grin.  Trade card user.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: TC/ABS and Speedo issue?
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2011, 19:30:52 »

you know you dont want the answer ;D
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2011, 19:33:28 »

standard description of the ABS ECU failing ...  loads of threads on the subject .. been there got the t-shirt.

It will slowly get worse as it fails completely...  :(

Fixes are one of three ...

1) new ECU from VX ...  around £700  !!!!!! plus needs a tech2 sesssion to setup

2) from a breaker, same engine, transmission, model year and it should work OK .. if not, needs a tech2 session to setup, could fail the same way.

3) have yours fixed. About £135 comes with a 2 year warranty, does not need a tech2 as it belongs to your car already.

Job is fiddly not hard, there is a "how to" in the guides. As just the ABS ECU is removed the car can be driven ... but no ABS, TC, Power steering adjustment for speed, speedo

I had mine mended by BBA-Reman ..  do a google... sent it monday got it back friday :)

There are a few other places that have the special kit to mend them

HTH

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2011, 19:37:16 »

I had this problem years & years ago for just 24 hours. This was before OOF & before I could find an answer to my problem it mended itself ..........

never to be repeated.

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2011, 20:31:24 »

you know you dont want the answer ;D

:o Just had a look at the how 2 looks like I might have to get my spanners out, and it's not a simple job  :'(

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2011, 20:33:28 »

standard description of the ABS ECU failing ...  loads of threads on the subject .. been there got the t-shirt.

It will slowly get worse as it fails completely...  :(

Fixes are one of three ...

1) new ECU from VX ...  around £700  !!!!!! plus needs a tech2 sesssion to setup

2) from a breaker, same engine, transmission, model year and it should work OK .. if not, needs a tech2 session to setup, could fail the same way.

3) have yours fixed. About £135 comes with a 2 year warranty, does not need a tech2 as it belongs to your car already.

Job is fiddly not hard, there is a "how to" in the guides. As just the ABS ECU is removed the car can be driven ... but no ABS, TC, Power steering adjustment for speed, speedo

I had mine mended by BBA-Reman ..  do a google... sent it monday got it back friday :)

There are a few other places that have the special kit to mend them

HTH

Thanks for the info Entwood most helpful

kersley2012

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2011, 23:31:47 »

Hi.
I had the same problem. I got a second hand ABS unit from ebay for 25 quid. and changed just the ecu part(black plastic electronic bit) it took me no more than ten minutes with a flexi bit holder. now everything is as it should be.
Go for it, its so easy to fix.
Another way is to open the little black box with a hacksaw. change the large black resistor, with one of the same value from Maplins. a bit of soldering the job done, good as new.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2011, 23:36:46 by kersley2012 »

albitz

« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2011, 09:49:17 »

Interesting. :-/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2011, 09:52:35 »

Hi.
I had the same problem. I got a second hand ABS unit from ebay for 25 quid. and changed just the ecu part(black plastic electronic bit) it took me no more than ten minutes with a flexi bit holder. now everything is as it should be.
Another way is to open the little black box with a hacksaw. change the large black resistor, with one of the same value from Maplins. a bit of soldering the job done, good as new.

How does that fix the normal bond wire that breaks?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2011, 10:10:22 »

Hi.

How does that correct the failed bond wire?

kersley2012

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2011, 15:03:06 »

On my unit, after opening the black casing with the electronics inside. i noticed the large diod had a crack along the side. this of course meant the diod was fried. a simple like for like diod will be as new again. also check for dry joints and broken tracks.again a simple fix.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2011, 18:56:06 »

resistors, diodes, make your mind up.

and whats simple about repairing a bond wire?

kersley2012

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2011, 21:20:19 »

I don't know anything about the bond wire. i can only tell you how i fixed my old unit. of course this was an experiment with the old dead unit. call it what you like, diod,resistor, maybe i could post a picture to show you?
would that help?
besides, i'm trying to save you guys time and money by doing your own repairs. is this not allowed? :y

Abiton

« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2011, 22:04:38 »

I don't know anything about the bond wire. i can only tell you how i fixed my old unit. of course this was an experiment with the old dead unit. call it what you like, diod,resistor, maybe i could post a picture to show you?
would that help?
besides, i'm trying to save you guys time and money by doing your own repairs. is this not allowed? :y

It surely would fella, just so we know we're talking about the same set-up (what year car was the one you fixed off?).

This thread (especially page 2) has some good piccies of the bond-wire problem: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1290102185.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2011, 06:56:04 »

would that help?

No offence intented, its just what you are describing doesnt sound at all like an abs ecu, you are being very sketchy over the part youve actually replaced, and it certainly wouldnt fix what we know to be the normal problem with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.