Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake Problems - Master Cylinder  (Read 1478 times)

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Problems - Master Cylinder
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2011, 17:22:14 »

Well in that case it's staying with dot 4 but think I will bleed them again after 100 miles or so just to make sure there's no air in the system!

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2011, 17:27:25 »

Going from vague memory rather than knowledge - racing fluid ,fully synthetic ? not compatible with other types of fluid ?
If this is the case you would need to get all of the old fluid out of the system before putting it in.
Personally,I think Dot4 is more than up to the job.It would take some pretty extreme driving on the road to boil it imo.

Yup to what Albs just said;

DOT4 is fine for a road car, you'd have to be going some to boil it (though TB probably could..) in which case use DOT5.1 like Motul RBF600 (or whatever the new version of that is)

DO NOT use DOT5, however, as it's incompatible with DOT4 & 5.1 and is silicone based, so you'd have to flush the lines with a cleaning agent and then probably replace all the seals early.

I can't see how switching from DOT4 to 5.1 could reduce braking distances either (as long as you can engage the ABS/lock the wheels, braking distance is largely a function of the coefficient of friction provided by your tyres - it's only when you need that performance again and again, corner after corner, for a 2hr race that you need bigger brakes/fancy fluids etc).

albitz

« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2011, 17:33:44 »

My memory worked. YAY !!  ;D ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2011, 17:42:55 »

As you get older, a working memory becomes more and more surprising, eh Albs? ;)

IIRC the main advantage of DOT5 is that it isn't hygroscopic like 4 & 5.1, but that's outweighed by the disadvantages on a road car. 5.1 has a higher minimum boiling point than 5 anyway, although something like RBF600/660 is DOT4 but exceeds the specs of 5 & 5.1.. very good brake fluid, but again, I can't see the need for it in an Omega that sees general road use.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2011, 18:20:24 »

Going from vague memory rather than knowledge - racing fluid ,fully synthetic ? not compatible with other types of fluid ?
If this is the case you would need to get all of the old fluid out of the system before putting it in.
Personally,I think Dot4 is more than up to the job.It would take some pretty extreme driving on the road to boil it imo.
http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/brakefluid.html
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.