Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone run TomTom on their gayphone?  (Read 3522 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Anyone run TomTom on their gayphone?
« on: 13 March 2012, 22:40:10 »

Serious question! Anyone use the TomTom "App" for iPhone as their choice of SatNag?

I need to know the pro's and Con's because I'm considering that route for job dispatch and management ;) Particularly interested in how good the mapping and routing is (is it as good as a stand alone unit?) and the traffic add on.

Thanks
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
Re: Anyone run TomTom on their gayphone?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2012, 22:51:28 »

i have a couple of clients using it, they say it's very good, personally, i use the car's built in ncdc system,  and google maps/ free-nav on the gayphone when away form my beloved mig.... 

google maps works as expected, the free-nav thing is a bit less brilliant,...  mostly relating to the incompetence of the user i suspect,   but it IS free.... 

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2012, 22:59:25 »

it works, but struggles with GPS reception, on motorways and high speed roads I found it fine. It really did struggle at times in built up areas.

Although I don't like screen mounted stuff, mine was in a bracket near the ash tray....

If you can live with it in you face on the windscreen should give better GPS reception.

But if you are going to be errr paying for the App, then you might as well buy a physical unit  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2012, 22:59:33 »

i have a couple of clients using it, they say it's very good, personally, i use the car's built in ncdc system,  and google maps/ free-nav on the gayphone when away form my beloved mig.... 

google maps works as expected, the free-nav thing is a bit less brilliant,...  mostly relating to the incompetence of the user i suspect,   but it IS free....

I prefer the built in NCDC, but it's not fitted to a Peugeot Partner Van ;) ;) ;D ;D

NavFree isn't an option... The routing of it is utter shite and a 2 year old shouting random directions could get you there quicker ::) ::)

Cost isn't a huge issue in as much as I would still have to supply a mobile and a stand alone SatNav (which would be a TomTom with live traffic, so not cheap) so thinking of combining the 2 in one unit, especially as I can use a RMS on the gayphone too ;) :y

I have a sneaky suspicion that both "The Groomer" and that Gixer bloke use TT on gayphone :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2012, 23:00:42 »

Yes both fatties use it  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2012, 23:28:55 »

A friend of mine uses it on his iPhone 3G (I think that's what it is, anyway - not seen it without a silly case on ;)) and I wasn't impressed, from what I saw it was slow, cumbersome and doesn't understand full postcodes, only the first half. Not a patch on my aged TT 720, anyway.

Maybe better on a 4 or 4S, but the lack of full post code support would put me off.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2012, 23:37:07 »

Maybe better on a 4 or 4S, but the lack of full post code support would put me off.
Indeed... Full post code compatibility is a must

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2012, 23:44:09 »

There's always the chance it's something he's doing wrong .. maybe CG/TB/Tunnie can confirm :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2012, 23:46:51 »

There's always the chance it's something he's doing wrong .. maybe CG/TB/Tunnie can confirm :)
Seeing Gayboy soon so I'm sure he'll let me have a play ::)

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2012, 23:58:00 »

Yes both fatties use it  :y
Oi, shut it pin head! ...bloody students! ;D

Navfree can't cope with multi tasking. Hit menu, or make a call, route lost/re programme. Nfg

Tomtom re routes a 100 times better than ncdc which takes forever to work out you don't want to go that route, ie m3 out of London and not the m4 and the hammersmith flopover nightmare, although tt does have its quirks.

It's easier to input addresses, fat fingers aside, post codes are easy (with a space as well) multi tasks well, plays mp3's and fades the music for tt voice. Calls mid route are fine although it does have an annoying button pop up asking you if it should continue with guidance during the call, which I think you have to press while driving or your guidance is paused. Bit thick that one. Might be a setting I need to alter maybe.

Other than that... Oh, Nav murders the battery, so must be on charge obviously. Seemed fine in London/Fulham road south ken. Expected it to chase its tail in built up areas, iirc it did wander off position once in pessing rain in London, but other than that.

I rate it anyway. iPhone 4 using tt v11. There is an Newer version of tt available v12 last I looked, might be 13 by now. I think you've seen where mine is located on the dash? Signal seems fine there.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2012, 00:06:00 »

nice to know it's not just my stupidity that gives me trouble with navfree then :D
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2012, 00:09:43 »

nice to know it's not just my stupidity that gives me trouble with navfree then :D
...well it is free, maps and guidance seemed ok ish iirc. The pay version might multi task. But what's the point in a smart phone app that's not smart enough to take a phone call?

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2012, 00:12:42 »

Should add. Tt needs to input the cars stereo system somehow really. The iPhone 4 in built speaker isn't loud enough on its own. This also makes voice dialling an absolute sinch though, it works very well.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2012, 01:08:44 »

I know its a backward step, pick up a cheap Symbian Nokia, download Nokia Maps (free) with free Speed Camera and on line Traffic reports, then download Car Mode (Free) job done.

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2012, 07:17:39 »

I know its a backward step, pick up a cheap Symbian Nokia, download Nokia Maps (free) with free Speed Camera and on line Traffic reports, then download Car Mode (Free) job done.

or get one of the new lumia range with windows phone and do the same, The lumia 800 is excellent
No more Omega but still hangs around
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.