Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: engine management light.  (Read 839 times)

goldwinger59

• saffron walden
    • View Profile
engine management light.
« on: 31 March 2012, 10:01:29 »

Hi ya`ll. (Omega auto, 2001 v6 2.6 cd estate).
Dont know if this has been covered.
"Problem" has ocurred a couple of times but generally comes/goes for weeks/months.
This latest series started after the car hadnt been used for a day or so, I drove around 15 miles from home to the M11 so engine was warm, (gauge showing just shy of 90 degrees), everything felt ok.
Going down the M11 ramp and accelerating, speedo touched 85 ish as I got on M11, cruised around 78-82 and within a mile the light kinda flickered then came on.
On slowing down and pulling over, (as I`m stopping it feeels as though she`s chugging/stalling is best way I can describe things), turning off the ignition and restarting more or less straight away the light went out and didnt come back on again till the other day when coming down M1 speedo drifted up to 90 and the light came on again. Ditto the shut down/fire up sequence but this time after a minute wait or so and keeping around 75-80 she cruises all day. Sweet as a nut.
Trip shows 85,500 miles, cam belt/water pump were changed as a precaution at 71,250 miles because the seller couldnt say if it had been done when I bought her approx 18 mths ago. Oil (semi synthetic) is clean and on the marks. No leaks etc, this one as well as my prior cdx 2.5 have been the best of the 5 I`ve owned.
I`ve glanced some of the other posts on this topic but dont know whether any apply to an intermittent fault like mine.
Could it be more engine/crank related given it only appears to happen at high speed ?, As above I`ve had her around 18 mths and this problem has only popped up in the last few months.
Any help/comments apreciated apart from the obvious "put my right foot on a diet" lol.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: engine management light.
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2012, 10:04:47 »

You need to do the pedal test and tell us what the codes are ;)
Retired

goldwinger59

• saffron walden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2012, 16:16:10 »

Ok guys, (betters).
Back again, sorry for the delay in responding.
I just checked the pedal test video and the following codes popped up. See below.
I also referenced the code panel and it`s seemingly random ignition probs plus cat efficiency dropping below threshold banks 1-2, (presumably as a knock-on effect of the ignition fault ?).
Codes are as follow, any help/pointers to a fix most welcome.
0 3 0 0   (Random multiple cylinder misfire).
0 3 0 3   (Cylinder #3 misfire detected)
0 3 0 5   (Cylinder #5 misfire detected)
0 4 2 0   (Catalyst system below threshold bank #1)
0 4 3 0   (Catalyst system below threshold bank #2)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2012, 16:17:40 »

Check bank 1 plugs for oil ;)

precats are shagged, move rear lamda.
Grumpy old man

goldwinger59

• saffron walden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2012, 16:22:09 »

Now I think more into this, given it`s looking like ignition linked, I`ve run the petrol tank down to less than 20 miles range a couple of times, (the car hasnt missed a beat up till the last 3 months of off-on use with being unemployed.
Could I have caused shit (pardon my french) to get into the fuel lines and this randomness be of my own doing ?
The more I think about it the more I think thats the problem. Duhhhh.

goldwinger59

• saffron walden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2012, 16:25:50 »

Full exhaust was replaced less than a year ago for the MOT, mechanic didnt mention any probs with exhaust emissions tho I`m noticing some oil smoke on start up after she`s not been run/driven for a day or so but which goes away almost instantly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.