Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: omega "td"/bmw v12 "td" project...  (Read 3531 times)

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
omega "td"/bmw v12 "td" project...
« on: 29 April 2012, 12:48:54 »

hello everyone, as you can tell from my subject my house must be a lunatic asylum :P
...its not even me wanting to do a v12 project but im considering a rival v12 project to my brothers - dont ask...

to explain the story:

my brother wants to make a kit car which is influenced by the autounion slipstream/streamliner which has a v16/v12.
anyway, the other idiot in the family is considering building a complete engine, to which i told him to stop being a tard - too much work developing blah blah getting it right never mind actually getting it to run AND building a bodyshell/chassis etc for it

anyway, my arguement is use existing engines such as the jaguar xjs v12 lump and work from there, anyway i had a thought, if my brother wanted to "build" a V12 then why not start off with two omega 6cyl straight 6's and take off the crankcase and get a different crank, turn round 180 degrees one of the heads so both exhaust manifolds are on the outside of the engine, run both engine managements parallel per engine and just put all the injectors etc opposite on the head which is 180 degrees then you can have a twin turbo v12 :P or even run it without a turbo or do whatever

thanks
alex

p.s if anybody can suggest a "roughly 3.0 V12 engine" lol then go ahead!
V8!!!!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: omega "td"/bmw v12 "td" project...
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2012, 12:57:37 »

hello everyone, as you can tell from my subject my house must be a lunatic asylum  :P
...its not even me wanting to do a v12 project but im considering a rival v12 project to my brothers - dont ask...

to explain the story:

my brother wants to make a kit car which is influenced by the autounion slipstream/streamliner which has a v16/v12.
anyway, the other idiot in the family is considering building a complete engine, to which i told him to stop being a tard - too much work developing blah blah getting it right never mind actually getting it to run AND building a bodyshell/chassis etc for it

anyway, my arguement is use existing engines such as the jaguar xjs v12 lump and work from there, anyway i had a thought, if my brother wanted to "build" a V12 then why not start off with two omega 6cyl straight 6's and take off the crankcase and get a different crank, turn round 180 degrees one of the heads so both exhaust manifolds are on the outside of the engine, run both engine managements parallel per engine and just put all the injectors etc opposite on the head which is 180 degrees then you can have a twin turbo v12 :P or even run it without a turbo or do whatever

thanks
alex

p.s if anybody can suggest a "roughly 3.0 V12 engine" lol then go ahead!

The first paragraph starts to make a lot of sense, then it all starts to go down hill towards the bottom.

;)

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2012, 13:05:28 »

lol bog off :P
V8!!!!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2012, 13:06:23 »

V12 is far, far to big for a kit car surely?

A Ford 2.0 in a kit car will blow away almost anything

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2012, 13:41:39 »

dont ask tunnie lmao!
he wants a 3.0 V12... who in the name of hell or something... would make a 3.0 v12 anyway!? come on, my brother is considering designing and building an engine from scratch with a hemi valve configuration "because its good for power" is what my brother said- he hasnt really thought about how he will actually do all that he wants to do in real life terms haa!

he wants it to be a bit like an autounion which is quite light and has from memory a plane engine in or something lmao!

im just having an "alex" moment considering playing with bmw engines and making something which resembles something possible haha!

thanks
alex
V8!!!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2012, 09:40:48 »

Hmm. One phone call to Aaronjb would solve the V12 sourcing issue with a lot less heartache, I think.  ;D

.. and as for getting one with that small a capacity.. I think you need to look through the skips of a few F1 teams. Might end up being a bit of a screamer, though.

I do love the old Auto Unions, so yes, a nice project, but I think cutting and shutting a couple of V6s is going to end in tears.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2012, 18:19:05 »

Indeed, I do happen to have a V12 at the moment .. although it's got twice the capacity you were looking for ;) But .. if I can be arsed to pull it out of the Jag (anyone fancy lending a hand? I don't fancy doing it on my tod!) then it'll be going begging for little cash.

Otherwise it'll probably get cubed with the rest of the car..

If I ever manage to get the bloody near side lower front wishbone off. Grr.  >:( Damn you, Ferrous Oxide!

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2012, 14:03:52 »

if he don't have it, then I definitely will. Will even give you a hand getting it out.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2012, 14:22:50 »

Yeah, I'd be up for a garage party to get it out some time. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2012, 14:29:33 »

if he don't have it, then I definitely will. Will even give you a hand getting it out.

Which reminds me that I never did call you  :-[ Still - if you saw the rust on the chassis once you start uncovering things.. don't reckon it had many more MOTs in it.

If either of you are free over the next couple of weeks, though... I'm off work until the 13th and the new chassis is meant to finally arrive the week of the 14th, so I'm hoping to get rid of the car before then ;) All help gladly accepted!

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2012, 09:36:55 »

Might be available to get in the way. :)

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2012, 13:43:15 »

You're more than welcome to come over too Chris  :y It's mostly 'muscle' that I'll suffer with trying to split the box off the engine to get the engine out, I reckon - an auto box that size (GM 4L80E I think) has got to weigh a fair bit.

If anyone has some free time just let me know when - I'll make sure I have tea/coffee/bacon/biscuits etc ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2012, 13:47:32 »

If Stuarts having the lump we can work round him I guess?

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2012, 17:24:15 »

I'm short of a 4L-80, too !

will speak with the managemnent and pick a day or two - do remember that it's 350 miles away from me, tho.

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2012, 21:44:23 »

Why not try to attempt a mini sulzer 12LDA  :D :D ;D ;D :-*
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.