Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop Help Please !  (Read 2307 times)

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
Laptop Help Please !
« on: 06 May 2012, 17:21:44 »

Hiya fellas, as per title really.

This one hurts as i used to know this stuff years ago.

I need my laptop for contract work as a BMS engineer.

I currently have a Dell Latitude D620 (running XP with service pack 3) with an Intel Core 2 CPU T7400 running @ 2.16Ghz & 3.25Gb or RAM +80GB HDD. My laptop is currently running hot on the mother board (fan ok) and suffers from the blue screen of death/ lockups etc. With this in mind I am looking for a replacement which I can drop my hard disk into.

Questions are, will the one in the link below do the job even though the CPU is slower and is it east to transfer a) A Hard Disk b) my higher RAM. Never done these on a laptop before.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-LATITUDE-D620-CENTRINO-DUAL-CORE-LAPTOP-1-8GHz-1GB-RAM-60GB-HDD-/251052859508?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item3a73eaa074

Any help much appreciated fellas as this is driving me bandy!

Cheers again.
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Help Please !
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2012, 17:26:41 »

Might be worth trying blowing the dust out of the heatsinks with a bit of compressed air first.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2012, 17:37:13 »

You might find the heatsink compound has dried up. My Acer Athlon used to last 6 months between reapplying, until I used Artic Silver which has lasted several years so far.

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2012, 19:23:48 »

Many thanks for the advice fellas, much appreciated. Got to admit its worth a go with both ideas. Will give it a clean out and try the Artic Silver.

Cheers again fellas  :y

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2012, 19:26:28 »

Me again ,

Just had a look on fleabay and found the Artic Silver.....question is how much of it do i need? 2.5g, 2.7g ??? Cheers in advance :y

Martian

« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2012, 19:34:50 »

question is how much of it do i need? 2.5g, 2.7g ??? Cheers in advance :y
You want nothing more than a "knats earhole" in reality, so the smallest tube will do.
If you use too much, it will have an adverse effect where cooling is concerned and will no doubt make one hell of a mess in the process when the heatsink is clamped back down.

Forget the idea of simply swapping your HDD in to a different machine as well, unless the chipsets (ie, disk controller) are exactly the same you will simply end up with the blue screen of death when trying to boot.
You can however put the drive in to a USB enclosure and extract any personal data that way.

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2012, 22:28:13 »

get yourself a laptop cooler normally about £10 once you have blown some compressed air through it
No more Omega but still hangs around

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2012, 10:10:05 »

question is how much of it do i need? 2.5g, 2.7g ??? Cheers in advance :y
You want nothing more than a "knats earhole" in reality, so the smallest tube will do.
If you use too much, it will have an adverse effect where cooling is concerned and will no doubt make one hell of a mess in the process when the heatsink is clamped back down.

Forget the idea of simply swapping your HDD in to a different machine as well, unless the chipsets (ie, disk controller) are exactly the same you will simply end up with the blue screen of death when trying to boot.
You can however put the drive in to a USB enclosure and extract any personal data that way.

Chipset mismatch. :o :o...things have moved on. Did think about using the HDD as external but would only use it to transfer all data. Cheers

get yourself a laptop cooler normally about £10 once you have blown some compressed air through it
Been told about these so if a blowout and reseating of the heatsink doesn't work then might well try it.  :y

Cheers fellas :y

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2012, 13:17:49 »

Possibly a bit late now - but I have some Arctic Silver here, so if you're not happy pulling it to bits yourself then feel free to pop round some time :y

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2012, 13:21:13 »

Possibly a bit late now - but I have some Arctic Silver here, so if you're not happy pulling it to bits yourself then feel free to pop round some time :y

Just bought some from fleabay last night Aaron............ but would seriously appreciate some help if you're up for it sometime. Will drop you a pm with my number on it. Cheers fella :y

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2012, 13:22:42 »

Yep no worries - D620s were our corp laptops at work, so it wouldn't be my first time in one ;)

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2012, 14:33:59 »

Yep no worries - D620s were our corp laptops at work, so it wouldn't be my first time in one ;)

:) :) As i say aaron, As & when is a big bonus fella. Cheers :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.