Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AIR AMBULANCES GROUNDED  (Read 3925 times)

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
Re: AIR AMBULANCES GROUNDED
« Reply #15 on: 09 May 2012, 18:29:47 »

specially for you lot... the extended version :P ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTb_5oPqCys
V8!!!!

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 09 May 2012, 18:34:12 »

Argh! Damn you  :P

Still, in the side bar - Street Hawk! Who else remembers Automan?

Ah, 1980s nostalgia.

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 May 2012, 18:40:06 »

;D ;D ;D
robocop will be coming up soon... but for the meantime...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvkKX035484
V8!!!!

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 May 2012, 18:47:54 »

not very obvious what its from with the intro...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68I3j2luW64&feature=relmfu
V8!!!!

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 May 2012, 19:01:32 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3sZfPSSNVg&feature=related
sorry cant help myself :P i just love the films this is from  ;D
V8!!!!

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 May 2012, 19:10:26 »

oh go on then...im sure im going to get moved to "alex's special needs thread" lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b2Mbl_QhGo
V8!!!!

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 May 2012, 22:34:37 »

Never fly in anything where the wings are going faster than the fuselage...

Having been caught in a nasty thunder storm over SW Germany in an AAC Gazelle many years ago I can identify with that. :o

I knew things were serious when the previously chatty pilot became very silent and although the tension in the aircraft was palpable, the edge was taken off this by the delightful WRAC Captain accompanying me as she sought solace in what she thought was to be her final moments in this life by getting as close to me as possible. ;D ;D - but she was  :-* :-* :-*.

Back in 88, me and some lads hitched a ride back to Laarbruch from Guterslow in a chinook.
One of the lads had the wonderful idea of me sitting on the open ramp of the chinook faceing backwards for the flight home with only a couple of pieces of webbing to hold me in.
Great idea I thought as we gently climbed up and headed west .................... until one of the jockeys who was flying the thing had a wonderful idea  :y Instead of flying gently back he deceided he was going to fly around every lampost, tree, electricity pylon and bloody mole hill he could find  :'( :'(

NOT BLOODY FUNNY (well I didn't think so anyway)  ::) ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 09 May 2012, 22:48:16 »

Never fly in anything where the wings are going faster than the fuselage...

Having been caught in a nasty thunder storm over SW Germany in an AAC Gazelle many years ago I can identify with that. :o

I knew things were serious when the previously chatty pilot became very silent and although the tension in the aircraft was palpable, the edge was taken off this by the delightful WRAC Captain accompanying me as she sought solace in what she thought was to be her final moments in this life by getting as close to me as possible. ;D ;D - but she was  :-* :-* :-*.

Back in 88, me and some lads hitched a ride back to Laarbruch from Guterslow in a chinook.
One of the lads had the wonderful idea of me sitting on the open ramp of the chinook faceing backwards for the flight home with only a couple of pieces of webbing to hold me in.
Great idea I thought as we gently climbed up and headed west .................... until one of the jockeys who was flying the thing had a wonderful idea  :y Instead of flying gently back he deceided he was going to fly around every lampost, tree, electricity pylon and bloody mole hill he could find  :'( :'(

A year earlier and I'd have been there. 'course, I'd have been 9..  ;D

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 May 2012, 22:49:04 »

I hated flying in the Chinook; rotary wings operating in such close proximity - one to the other - I could never accept as being totally safe. ;D

I can still feel the shuddering of the bastids to this day.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 May 2012, 23:15:02 »

I hated flying in the Chinook; rotary wings operating in such close proximity - one to the other - I could never accept as being totally safe. ;D

I can still feel the shuddering of the bastids to this day.

So can my window frames.. living, as I do, 10 miles from Odiham. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 May 2012, 23:51:41 »

I used to work on 'Wasps' and remember flying vividly, as a passenger, going into Auto Gyration mode......that was an experience....... :D :D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2012, 07:24:47 »

I used to work on 'Wasps' and remember flying vividly, as a passenger, going into Auto Gyration mode......that was an experience....... :D :D

Never done that but I have been sat in the front of a hercules when its carrying out a tactical landing.
Nige will tell you the gorry details but it involves coming quite high and and just as you get very close to the end of the runway, you stick it on its nose and point it at the runway threshold (only pulling up at the very VERY last rather minute)  :'(
I can see the funny side now but at the time, it was just another jockey that I could of given a dry slap too  :-X :-X :D :D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2012, 18:01:16 »

Never done that but I have been sat in the front of a hercules when its carrying out a tactical landing.
Nige will tell you the gorry details but it involves coming quite high and and just as you get very close to the end of the runway, you stick it on its nose and point it at the runway threshold (only pulling up at the very VERY last rather minute)  :'(
I can see the funny side now but at the time, it was just another jockey that I could of given a dry slap too  :-X :-X :D :D

What you describe there is actually a "Kai San" approach ... named after the place in Vietnam it was designed for ... come in high enough to avoid small arms fire (around 1200 ft normally) until almost above the approach end of the runway which is inside the protected perimeter of the airfield, push over to 60 degrees nose down, aiming 500 ft down the runway, the power is at zero thrust, gear down, flaps 100%, speed touchdown plus 10 knots. As the aircraft descends the speed will rise by about 30 knots, at 50 feet raise the nose to 5 degrees climb, but leave the power at zero thrust, the speed will wash off as the aircraft attempts to climb, at the right speed the pilot just touches down neatly, if it's a short runway select max reverse thrust and hit the brakes  .. hard ... 135,000 lbs of aircraft will stop from 120 knots in about 1000 feet.

Teaching points that the student pilots have trouble with initially ...   not getting close enough to the runway before pushing over, and "chickening out" and flaring to early.... the first point makes the approach path more shallow and leaves you vulnerable to small arms fire for longer, the second means you are too high with too little power which can lead to a heavy landing.....  :(

There are all sorts of tactical approaches... each for a different scenario... doing them in anger concentrates the mind ... teaching them or practising them actually came under the heading of good fun ....  :)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2012, 18:14:35 »

60 degree's nose down ?

I'd have gone for closer 89.9  ;D ;D

Got to admit, I was always amazed at how you lot could throw the herc around  :)

Had a few hairy moments when out and about in HRH's toys but as I grew a little wiser, I remembered to look at the aircrews faces.
If they looked happy and where chatting away, I knew I was in safe hands and everything was ok  :y

But when they go silent and start looking at each other as they did on a flight out of goose bay back in 89, think of your family  ;)

I'll stick that experence on here later  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2012, 13:06:04 »

As the aircraft descends the speed will rise by about 30 knots..

Plenty of drag then? :o Try that in a glider and you'd be through VNE with about 800 feet to go, and landing in the next county, I reckon. ;D

Do you ever use sideslip? That's pretty effective for dumping height in a glider. Perhaps a little too effective in a herc? :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.