Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why an Omega??  (Read 7967 times)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Why an Omega??
« on: 20 May 2012, 00:59:41 »

Whilst out walking the dog tonight Mrs. Loo-knee mentioned that I seem enthusiastic about this new estate I have bought. So I started to wonder why I actually was feeling this way about it......

With owning quiet a few now over the years plus working on a few, I got rather bored with them. So I got rid of my Omega then had a few different cars. Jag, Peugeot 206 hdi, Range Rover, Subaru to name a few.

Not alot drives & handles in my opinion like a Subaru Impreza. But you do start drive regularly like a moron, plus loads of people want to try and burn you off. So decided to get shut of it partly before I either hurt myself, someone or got knicked by the Boyz in Blue.
I may have to be doing long journeys before long and so did think about another 206 hdi as the amount of miles you get out of a tank of diesel, is just wrong ;D I used to keep knocking the fuel gauge thinking, "Something must be wrong with this!" But I want to be able to get out and walk freely without my back being in two when I arrive....
We have a dog but I hate nothing more than bloody dog hair on the seats, or that he has had a swim and got to get in the back wet.....so an estate is really needed..

And so I have bought "Jabba" the estate that has made me appreciate the Omega more than ever. It ticks all the boxes I need in a car. The fuel (depending on what cars you have been used too) isn't to bad in my book either. Its comfortable, goes pretty well (especially after after driving a Disco for a while, sorry Venom  ;D ;D).

So there are my reasons, whats yours?
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 01:02:36 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

feeutfo

Re: Why an Omega??
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2012, 01:17:59 »

A lot of car, for not much money, with support here, and LPG thanks to members here, it's the cake and eat it option. Big, comfy, quick enough (I suppose) with Toys all round. And it's black.

I love my car, Omega Black. ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2012, 01:45:57 »

After 12 happy years with omega Estates, 2 actually, and an unfortunate experience with a 2.2 saloon I have discovered the V6, what a car for the money :D :D :D tis swmbo daily car, I have the Jeep, bought for the expected terrible winter that did not happen..... ::) ::)
I would love to be in the position of buying a 3.2 for me, what a car they must be for the money, a good one would have cost half of what I paid for the Jeep hence my problem.... :( :(
Fuel consumption would be terrible for my work, but off set that against paying £8 to 10k for a modern car, you can buy a lot of petrol for £5k
Got a Mig that depreciated 100% over 5 years and a Jeep that has depreciated 40% in less than 1 year......do the maths....... :-X :-X

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2012, 07:54:34 »

I've just got myself a diesel Mondeo, because I've got a new job which involves a commute every day, so my Omega estate is currently sitting on the dock of the eBay.

Trouble is, I miss it already  :'(  the ride is nowhere near as smooth and comfortable as the Omega and nothing feels as solid and well put together. I've still got a few gadgets in my new car, being a Ghia X, but there's definitely something about these Omegas that's missing in other cars.

Plus, I haven't got a clue where to get help from when it goes wrong.....for all its perceived 'faults', this forum is an absolute Godsend
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

andy_vxr

• North Wales
    • Omega 2.5 V6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2012, 08:01:50 »

Well I'm 2-3 months into omega driving and for the money you cannot beat it. Comfort and quietness are excellent as is power( i have a 2.5 v6) and don't find fuel too bad either. The boot fits a double buggy without folding seats, both child seats fit in the back with ease. Only downside is the 1 cup holder but think I can live with that :)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2012, 08:44:04 »

Rwd so nice to drive when you are in the mood too play  ;D
Big comfortable car when you have a long journey  :y
Plenty about so cheepish cars / spares available.
(sorry Nige, some  folks don't have 8 hundred to spend on a car nevermind 8 grand)
If you run it on LPG, the pence per mile makes the cars pretty reasonable to run on the wonga front
This place and some of its members for its help and advise  :-* :-*

Basically it ticks all the boxes for me  :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2012, 08:55:56 »

I've had just about every configuration of the Omega in my 12 years of owning them except for a 4 pot petrol because I can't see the point of them as a 2.5 V6 can be just as economical. I've now got a desmond diesel which suits as my drive it like I stole it years are over, probably an age thing ::). The best for doing all things was my chipped 2.5 manual diesel, it was economical and could move when asked. The 2.2 diesel is ok, it's comfy, cheap to run and holds all my tools with space to spare and once i've got it running right should move ok. I've had many makes of car over my 30 years of driving but i've never stuck to one as long as the Omega, don't know why but I just love them, simple as that ;)
Retired

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2012, 09:06:34 »

I've had my TD Estate for 13 years now, and I love it for its comfort, space, reliability, driveability, ease of servicing, and being relatively cheap to run for 6 - 7000 miles a year. I love it so much that I bought a 3.2 Elite saloon last year for fun, and I love it even more! However the Estate is still my daily drive for the uses I require, golf, house maintenance etc. Oh, and not to forget, that without this forum I may not still be driving Omegas, and which makes owning one so much more fun. So thanks again to all of you out there who have contributed so much to Omega owners worldwide, and have helped to extend the life of many of these superb cars, you know who you are. :y :y :y

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2012, 09:17:17 »

My wife had one - and would have had another when change-over time came around, (an Omega that is) - I knew them from CPU days and, when I eventually fell out with my Volvo XC70 T5, or should I say when I lost the bap with its woeful 5 speed manual gearbox, cramped interior and ball-bursting maintenance costs, I needed a car at short notice - luckily finding my 2003 CDX Desmond languishing in deepest Maidstone.

I didn't intend keeping it for very long - that was in 2005 and, although it wasn't used much after the month or so following its acquisition, I became rather attached it so it remained with me.

Even though I now drive a ‘luxury’ four-wheeler most of the time (news that will be much to the chagrin of certain members I'm sure) there's something endearing about the Omega - leaving aside its modest cylinder capacity – that requires me to continue my association with it.

My Desmond;

The Desmond my wife had (together with my own)

The collective term for a brace of Desmonds - two Tu Tus' of course. :-*

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2012, 09:25:50 »

If I'm honest, I only bought an Omega for it's sheer weight, for towing our caravan.

I had a very nasty experience on the M5 towing one of our previous caravans. We had a brand new car (Rover 800) towing a brand new caravan and after years of towing, I admit to getting too complacent.  ::)  I towed a caravan that weighed 100% of the cars kerb weight, and even though I am always meticulous about correct loading, my speed was getting careless.  :o I got caught out by the dreaded snake after a high sided vehicle caused the van to sway. I bought the M5 to a stand still. No, I didn't wreck the van, I wrecked my confidence.
We sold the car as soon as we could and looked for the heaviest car on the market. It happened to be a twelve month old Omega Elite estate. We had it for five years before we got our current 3.2, which we've had for about eight & a half years now. Bought the 3.2 when it was ten months old so paid plenty of money for it.  :D
I agree with Entwood's comment on another post, the 3.2 is without doubt the best tow car that we have owned and they are so comfortable on a long run.  :y

Just for the record, we thought our 2.5 elite was a great tow car but when we got the 3.2 it knocks spots off the 2.5 torque wise. When you get to a big hill with a large heavy caravan on the back, the 3.2 is worlds apart from the 2.5. The mass of towing torque from the 3.2 brings a smile to your face, especially going up Telegraph Hill in Devon at easily the legal speed limit.  :D :y
I will hang on to it for as long as I can.  :y
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 09:29:30 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

jaykay

• Fareham Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2012, 09:43:30 »

Three words - I feel safe.

2005 my wife was working in USA, and I would join her every 6 weeks or so for 2 or 3 weeks. I kept hiring cars over there and then came back to UK and got into my Nissan Micra ???  Started feeling really unsafe driving it, especially on motorways.  Then saw an   MY omega at local vauxhall dealer, had a test drive, and have kept it ever since. :y :y :y

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2012, 10:49:09 »

In the early days of "working" for a living I was running around in a Fiesta and one day helped a guy load a double wardrobe into the back of his Omega estate, wow what a space :o. Had to have one of them as I did not want a van. Few months later managed to pick up a 2.5 CDX for £1800 and loved it, apart from the 12-13 mpg and it was always overheating and eventually blew the head gasket. Didn't know of OOF then (or even wasnt around 10yrs ago) and got rid on fleabay.

Had an A6 Avant estate as a company car when "employed" and managed to pick one up for £800, what a dog compared to the mig. Lasted about 3 months with it then got rid as I managed to pick up a 2.2 CDX estate with LPG.

That year went to S-O-France with 3 kids in the back, boot full of "stuff", 1100 miles in 22 hours and as fresh as a daisy and happy kids and swmbo. Never achieved that in all the other times I have been (apart from once maybe in a Diesel Passat estate). I was hooked and she is still sat on the drive as I "invested" in an 03 CDX 2.2 estate last year which was going for the right money and the "x" was playing up on the autobox.

Will soon be "moth-balling" the 03 and getting the "X" back on the road until it fails MOT then it will be used for spares for the 03 so I can keep it going until it's death, or, I can pick up a decent one off here for no money  ;D ;D :D :D .

To conclude, I believe there is no other car (estate) that can provide me with the usability of a van with the comfort and toys of a luxury car. I would have to have both (van & car) if I didn't have the Omega. I have averaged my cost over the last 10 yrs and it's about £1600/yr including buying, tax , ins, 1 LPG conv & repairs. Cant beat that  8) :y
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

DaveA

• Intermediate Member
  • Leicestershire
    • Insignia CDTI SE 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2012, 10:53:24 »

I have owned my Omega for six years now and along with a Carlton, I owned, they are the best cars I've driven. Again I bought the cars as a tow cars.  The reason I chose the 2.2 is because having owned a 2.5 V6 Cavalier, FWD that was a nightmare to work on, (had a Irmscher full body kit and suspension and boy did it go), I thought the 2.2 easier to work on, and when I joined the Forum that confirmed it.
       I did not have a PC then and with hindsight would have probably looked for a V6, having said that, I still have a great car, nothing fancy as performance goes, but still a every capable car, especially when cruising along a motorway :y  and hope to keep it for a few more years yet.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 11:00:00 by DaveA »
Regards
    Dave

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2012, 10:56:08 »

I was running about in a £300 N reg Rover 200 diesel, which was abit of a biscuit tin compared to my previous Mitsibishi Galant, but it was cheap and cheerful!!  :y  Then the glowplug relay went and I'd have to turn it over and over till it was warm enough to fire up in a massive cloud of white smoke!! ;D The neighbours were getting fed up of the morning cloud of diesel smoke so I decided to change the relay and basically cocked it up and fried the electrics!!!  :-[ :- One dead Rover!!  :'( :'( :'(

About the same time I was due to go on a camping trip to France with some mates and needed a car quick and spotted this LPG converted Omega on ebay, so I bought it thinking it'd be a great car for a long trip and I'd sell it when I got back!!  ::)  Needless to say 6 years later....   :y :y :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2012, 11:01:27 »

An important thing I think is that there is no badge snobbery associated with Omegas. I like the fact that the ignorant masses think it's an old mans car or some other old boring car cliche.

It's a jack of all trades and a master of comfort.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.