Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5TD flat battery  (Read 2454 times)

mc9

• Luton, Beds
    • View Profile
2.5TD flat battery
« on: 27 May 2012, 11:26:07 »

For some time the battery has been going flat after two days. Battery voltage drops steadily until no longer able to start car. Autoelectrician can't find parasitic drain. AA man says get a new battery. Battery supplier says battery is good.  :-\

I've checked: courtesy lights, vanity mirror lights, boot light, glove box light etc. Bought and fitted a new cheap battery online. Now THAT battery is losing voltage.  :o

The older removed battery (Varta 90AH) is now holding at around 13 volts (after a full charge off car). So problem is with car not battery.

Troubleshooting is finding some odd things (Ignition is off during all testing):

-- Disconnecting / reconnecting battery causes a curious "groaning" noise at the moment of connection. Noise coming from somewhere in left side of dashboard / bulkhead. DVM shows big current drain (meter overloads) at that moment. Current drain settles to 30mA.

-- Removing fuse 12 causes heater blower to start and run intermittently (9A drain)!!  ???

-- Removing fuse 33 shuts down blower.

Will replace fuse 12, pull fuse 33, charge battery and leave car for a while to see what happens.

Do I have a problem with the electronic climate control?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

BiodieselOmega

• sheffield
    • Skoda Superb Elegance
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5TD flat battery
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2012, 12:02:23 »

Rectumfrier in alternater playing up?
Free waste veg oil collections....nationwide service by local collectors....never sold for profit....always used as road fuel.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2012, 12:36:11 »

Firstly, if you haven't already, remove Power Sounder.
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2012, 13:59:47 »

Firstly, if you haven't already, remove Power Sounder.
and while you are rooting around under the scuttle check that the scuttle drain is clear (and that water hasn't flooded the heater fan speed controller)

Scuttle Drain Cleaning
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

mc9

• Luton, Beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2012, 20:31:08 »

Power sounder was removed three years ago.

Alternator output 13.1V @ 2000rpm with lights on -- that's a bit low so bad alternator is possible.

Andy H -- nice tip, cleaned out drains but don't know if heater motor has ever been flooded.

I've pulled fuse 33 and will check battery voltage tomorrow evening. Still wondering about curious blower motor behaviour. :-\

Cheers

mc9

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2012, 17:59:11 »

Also worth checking that the Glow Plug Relay is not intermittently arcing across on its own, that problem can kill a fully charged Battery in less than an hour with the keys out and car locked up.

Chris.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2012, 20:41:58 »

Also worth checking that the Glow Plug Relay is not intermittently arcing across on its own, that problem can kill a fully charged Battery in less than an hour with the keys out and car locked up.

Chris.

Mmmmm, that sounds an odd one, is it likely? ???

Martian

« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2012, 02:46:59 »

Alternator output 13.1V @ 2000rpm with lights on -- that's a bit low so bad alternator is possible
Way too low, 13.8v - 14.4v is what you need to see.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2012, 12:25:02 »

Chris.

Yep, was driving me round the bend for a month or two and a few others on here since, the relay contacts start to pit and build up on themselves over time, meaning there almost touching each other to the extent that the last vibration before switching the ing. off can cause the them to arc / temporarily weld themselves killing a perfectly good battery in a very short time.

If its doing it whilst driving around the alternator seems to cope with it, but you end up with a very hot inlet manifold and some short lived glow plugs.

Chris.   

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2012, 14:33:23 »

Chris.

Yep, was driving me round the bend for a month or two and a few others on here since, the relay contacts start to pit and build up on themselves over time, meaning there almost touching each other to the extent that the last vibration before switching the ing. off can cause the them to arc / temporarily weld themselves killing a perfectly good battery in a very short time.

If its doing it whilst driving around the alternator seems to cope with it, but you end up with a very hot inlet manifold and some short lived glow plugs.

Chris.

Useful info, so worth putting a new relay in mine at 13years old. :y :y :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2012, 19:43:54 »

Chris.

Chris.

Useful info, so worth putting a new relay in mine at 13years old. :y :y :y

Might be worth taking the relay apart and heaving a look at least, there's 2 sets of contacts inside, see if there clean, pic below shows the first contact with a pitted pyramid almost touching its partner, second contact is fairly clean.

« Last Edit: 02 June 2012, 19:50:24 by zirk »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2012, 23:00:38 »

Takes me back, looks like a set of points from a car I owned 50 years ago. Only trouble is, I can't remember which one. :-\ :-\ :-\ ::) :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.