Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions for aaronjb and hoofingit  (Read 1518 times)

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
questions for aaronjb and hoofingit
« on: 30 May 2012, 14:03:13 »

Sorry guys for bothering you but from previous posts seems that you two are best in 2.5td tractor knowldge.
If anyone else also knows the answers to my questions please feel free to join.

So here goes.
I have some oil residu which can be seen on air filter and coming out of the large pipe that goes to egr valve.
So obviously turbo is leaking oil slightly and I suspect the pipes and anything has never been cleaned. Turbo is working but
I am planning to replace the air filter in the next few days and clean everything but need to know exactly what to clean and with what (I'm guessing carb cleaner ? )
Please help me with some questions bellow and feel free to add anything I forgot.

1. Large Pipe from air filter to turbo, clean it with CarbCleaner?
2. Clean the MAF in that large pipe with carb cleaner, I did inspect it and it was pretty black on the grille (oil obviously)?
3. Clean the aux pipe which goes from this large pipe to engine I think?
4. Clean the part which says turboDiesel on it, to remove it and clean it with what(like simply spray carb cleaner inside?
5. EGR valve to remove and soak in paint thinner, or not to touch it at all?

Also please mention anything I forgot, any good advice is more than welcome.

Thanks for any help given.

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
Re: questions for aaronjb and hoofingit
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2012, 17:39:16 »

Still no reply from anyone, guess tractor migs aren't that popular on the forum   :(

martin42

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2012, 17:44:04 »

never heard of an omega tractor  :D :D
give them time to reply,not every 1 is on the site 24/7,they have other commitments like swmbo,family or work or they just dont want to reply lol but you will get a repsonse at some point tho  :y

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2012, 17:47:41 »

I know Martin to give them time but when it comes to car maintenance I'm more impatient than when my wife wants to ...  ;D

martin42

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2012, 17:54:59 »

maybe changing the thread title to "help on a 2.5td" might get a quicker response  ;)

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2012, 17:58:05 »

True but I try first to find the answers myself, saw that these two fellow membets had most experience with similar problems so it was my intention to put them in the headline so they can see it.
Also from view count I can see that other people were looking at the topic, but it is a bit tricky problem so hope somenone will soon be along to help me.

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2012, 20:04:07 »

Sorry about that - work has been hectic.. I had this thread open for ages in my browser and just couldn't get to replying. Anyhoo, excuses aside ;)

Some oil in those pipes is pretty normal on a slightly aged turbo car; if you wipe your finger in there and it's damp with oil that's fine. If the pipes are swimming with oil then the turbo is pretty tired, but even so ought to run fine generally, just something to be aware of.

FWIW, mine was swimming ;D Still boosted just fine, though.

1. Large Pipe from air filter to turbo, clean it with CarbCleaner?
2. Clean the MAF in that large pipe with carb cleaner, I did inspect it and it was pretty black on the grille (oil obviously)?
3. Clean the aux pipe which goes from this large pipe to engine I think?
4. Clean the part which says turboDiesel on it, to remove it and clean it with what(like simply spray carb cleaner inside?
5. EGR valve to remove and soak in paint thinner, or not to touch it at all?

1. Just a rag, really - carb cleaner is generally safe on rubber but on an old hose, I wouldn't bother risking it. Just wipe it down with a rag and you're good; doesn't need to be spotless on a diseasal IMHO.
2. The MAF (if I remember it all correctly) shouldn't see any oil - it's directly after the air filter and there's no breather hoses to the filter housing; at least there wasn't on mine, mine was actually a pre-MAF car with only the MAP sensor. Anyway, carb cleaner should be fine but these things can be delicate so don't attack the element inside with anything (if you can see it, again, no MAF on my car so I'm going based on what the petrol MAF looks like)
3. The big plastic intake pipe from MAF to turbo is the low pressure side - again the only thing in there will be road dirt that's bypassing the filter.. clean it down if you like, but it's not essential.
4. This does tend to collect oil - whip it off, tip it up, spray it out with carb cleaner, air dry and put back together. You can't really get in there to do a proper job, unless  you have gallons of carb cleaner or a bucket full of petrol*
5. Yes, I'd pull the EGR valve off the intake manifold and clean it out with thinners/carb cleaner/petrol. Light oil on the piston and put back together.

Additionally, and more important than any of the above things really;

Check the small bore vacuum pipe from the underside of the inlet manifold (about 1/2 way back on the main 'runner', underneath is a small nipple w/ pipe) that goes to the MAP sensor on the inner wing (1" black cube with an electrical connector and a single pipe connection). Check the hose is free and clear of gunk (it probably won't be! Carb cleaner..) and free of splits/tears/rubs etc - stick your finger on the end and make sure you can't blow through it when blocked off and that you can blow through it when not, then reassemble.

All IMHO of course  :y

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2012, 20:14:27 »

Thanks aaronjb
This econf thing is worrying me the most
2. The MAF (if I remember it all correctly) shouldn't see any oil - it's directly after the air filter and there's no breather hoses to the filter housing; at least there wasn't on mine, mine was actually a pre-MAF car with only the MAP sensor. Anyway, carb cleaner should be fine but these things can be delicate so don't attack the element inside with anything (if you can see it, again, no MAF on my car so I'm going based on what the petrol MAF looks like)
I can see a metallic grille inside the large pipe that goes from turbo to air filter.
I guess this is the MAF
Grille is black from oil fumes probably so don't know will carb cleaner do any damage if I use it

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2012, 20:16:57 »

also this last thing you mention
If I recall it goes somewhere from middle of the engine to near the servo fluid bottle?

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2012, 20:21:09 »

also this last thing you mention
If I recall it goes somewhere from middle of the engine to near the servo fluid bottle?

Yep, that's exactly the one - though be careful, there is a very similar looking pipe that goes to the EGR solenoid in much the same area. You want the single hose going to the single connection; the other thing with two or three hose connections is for the EGR (mine were back to front when I got my car, EGR connected to manifold and MAP connected to permanent vacuum, whoops!)

On the subject of the MAF - it's probably just road grime rather than oil from your turbo but I believe you should be OK to spray it down with carb cleaner. However I can't guarantee it - I don't know how fragile that particular MAF is, unfortunately. (I'd not hesitate on my old Toyota, for example, but I would on the 3.2 Elite as I know the later Omega MAFs are fragile.. I'd guess yours is essentially BMW and I don't know those - hoofingit might :))

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2012, 20:25:09 »

Yes I know the hoses on EGR and MAP were messed up, I found your old post and that made me contact you.
Thanks very much!!!!!   :y
 I just need hoofing_it to resolve the MAF issue.

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2012, 15:30:19 »

A little bit info on the topic.
Replaced the air filter (old one was shockingly dirty, almost black from oil fumes)
Stupid me believed the old owner when he said serviced the car before selling it to me so I didn't check the filter then but I did luckily replaced the oil)
Cleaned the pipe from air filter housing to turbo at least as much as I could reach, didn't remove the bugger cause it is way down to turbo)
Cleaned the smaller pipe that goes from air filter pipe to cam cover, it was pretty dirty inside.
Cleaned the air filter housing and MAF with CarbCleaner, luckily MAF resumed to operate normally although I heard some members had probems after cleaning it.
Cleaned the small bore vacum pipe that aaronjb mentioned. Pipe is ok.
Didn't clean the egr or turbo diesel part since the weather looked it was going to rain (have nowhere to work except public parking lot  ;D ).
Must note I was dirty as hell.
I shoulld write to Discovery channel about that show "Dirty Jobs" to try to clean tractor mig parts, they could get surprised  ;D

Anyway after all this also I must note one strange thing

Before when the car was in Neutral it was consuming 1.0-1,1 litres per hour (trip comp) and 1.5 litres in Drive.

After doing all this not in Neutral it doesn't drop bellow 1.1 but in Drive it stays at 1.4  ???
A bit strange
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.