Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ford puma.  (Read 2576 times)

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
  • Garden City, North Wales
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
ford puma.
« on: 01 June 2012, 19:43:52 »

Sorry for swearing folks mentioning ford on here  ;D but im off to view an 02 plate ford puma tomorrow... does anyone have any info on these cars good points and bad ect....... oh its not to replace my miggy its for the wife...

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
Re: ford puma.
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2012, 20:25:49 »

rust, abs pumps, twisted brake hoses.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2012, 20:27:26 »

the blue oval attached to it ;D ;D

martin42

« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2012, 20:34:01 »

cambelt change every 5 years or 80k,rear bushes,brake lines,rear arches for rust,oil leak on cam cover(easy repair),2 keys maybe 3,have a look on www.projectpuma.com plenty of good advice on there as im still a member,the puma is a very good car and can easily get 350+ to a tank of fuel.
Get a mechanic/garage who know how to time a 1.7 vct engine,if its done wrong it runs like a bag off spanners.need any more advice pm me ive had 2 before i got the omega and they are a good car  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2012, 20:39:54 »

Sorry for swearing folks mentioning ford on here  ;D but im off to view an 02 plate ford puma tomorrow... does anyone have any info on these cars good points and bad ect....... oh its not to replace my miggy its for the wife...

Very small inside. More suited to a woman than a man. For anyone over about five-six  it will be a tight squeeze.

martin42

« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2012, 20:43:52 »

im 5ft8 and had plenty off room,height adjustable seats  ;D and infact i found the seats very good on a long drive

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2012, 21:02:06 »

the bloke selling it is a car dealer and used to work for POLAR FORD and used to sell these....  ill ask more in depth questions tomorrow when i see him.... he's asking £1250 for it.. its a 51 plate but registered in 02 with 76k on clock.. and has all the bells and whistles in it....

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2012, 21:07:13 »

They rot at alarming rates ala KA, if you see any spin round and walk away
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2012, 21:09:06 »

try telling the wife that Omegod..... she has her heart set on one.... i was aware of the rear arch issue and I will give it the once over tomorrow..

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2012, 22:08:17 »

Like the Fiesta they're based on, they rust around the rear arches/floor. Many are scruffy as a result/leading up to problems.

They are very cramped inside, and have a hopelessly small boot.

Even the 1.7 needs to be driven like you stole it to get adequate performance. They are unbelievably gutless, and low geared so are utterly tiresome on the motorway. Fuel economy suffers badly as a result.

Pumas don't ride very well either.

Personally, I'd buy a decent Fiesta and be done with it! Cheaper too.

martin42

« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2012, 23:25:23 »

puma shares the same chassis as the fiesta,but nothing wrong with 1.7 engine,never found mine to be guttless,managed to do a 135 mile trip in 1.5 hrs loaded with camping gear,and still managed a 35+ mpg,rust maybe an issue,but there are a few very good examples out there,i brought my 1st puma 3 years ago on a y plate with 83,000 on the clock,for £2000 got written off 10months later and got £1000 more than what i paid for it,some examples may need some tlc but they are now gettin on for 10+ years old and also the older pumas are infact slightly quicker aswell as they are not bogged down by the torque limiter as much,also you have the frp which only 500 were made by tickford,with 155bhp wide body work and uprated brakes with alcon disks and calipers at the front with focus rear calipers and discs,and they can certainly put a smile on your face when you get them on windy roads  :y :y

chalcroft

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2012, 00:21:46 »

Great cars. Got swmbo one this time last year( X Reg) Paid 900 quid for it. Its a Puma "Black" has a leather interior, CD player and air con. We have done 16000 miles in it and not spent a penny on it. Passed its MOT 3 weeks ago with flying colours.

Gearing is a little low on it for motorway use admittedly, but you dont buy a puma for that. Around town they are great, so much fun to drive. Performance is pretty good. Plus get 35+MPG.

Boot space is plenty big enough for a weeks shopping for a family of five. Car is small enough that you can park it anywhere. Handy when you are using it in London everday!

Not as roomy as a Omega inside but would not call it cramped.

The only issues to look out for are the rear wheel arches they do seem to rust out badly.

Get one you will love it!

martin42

« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2012, 00:28:56 »

Wheel arches can be replaced using peugeout 206 front wings and cut to size so not a big problem  :y

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2012, 08:28:01 »

I was also thinkig of getting one.
Was looking at 1.7 engine (which is made by Yamaha, or developed by them).
Boot is also good considering the size of the car.
Of course back seats are useless.

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2012, 16:43:11 »

well i'm picking this puma up next friday ... it has 74k on the clock and the MOT has no advisories on it... its the Thunder model with leather interior and 6 cd multi change air con heated front screen ect..... the rear arches are on their way as expected but thats it.... paid £1250 too.. its a 51 plate but a 2002 year...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.