Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a used motor - help please  (Read 2714 times)

F1 9LFG

• Intermediate Member
  • nr Braintree, Essex
    • View Profile
Buying a used motor - help please
« on: 02 June 2012, 20:59:38 »

Hi All,

After some advice please.

I am looking to pick up a vauxhall astra diesel estate for transporting the dogs/kids/etc.

Got my eye on one but could do with advice on anything to look for that is a bad sign.

This one I'm looking at is ex NHS so I'm sure it'll have been looked after well while in service but it's high mileage, 150k.

It's tempting me as it's a top spec 2006 1.9CDTI, all the extras inside, half leathers etc and it's priced at £2250, it looks (from pics) to be in very good condition, not damage inside or out, interior is very clean with no obvious signs of wear given the miles.

Obviously I need to see it in the flesh and have a test drive but is there anything that MK6 Astras are prone for having problems with? tail tail signs?

I am competent with checking the obvious stuff, inspecting the coolant condition, oil cap (signs of mayo etc), under the bonnet for leaks, panel damage (ripples or flaking paint/signs of a repair etc) and tyre condition for signs of chassis issues.

I know that with 150k miles the turbo/engine/running gear are going to a risk but at the price it's listed for I'd take the punt and swap the engine/turbo/anything that should fail and still have a good car at a great price as these spec'd Astras with 70k miles are going for £4.5k+.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a used motor - help please
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2012, 21:40:31 »

Can't help with tips on the astra, but for that kind of money why not find a well looked after Omega Estate & Lpg it? :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

F1 9LFG

• Intermediate Member
  • nr Braintree, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2012, 21:43:49 »

Can't help with tips on the astra, but for that kind of money why not find a well looked after Omega Estate & Lpg it? :y

Good point - BUT - SWMBO will use the new car daily and an Astra is big enough for her, she refused to even drive my omega saloon in an empty car park due to it's size!  ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2012, 22:28:39 »

This diesel engine is very solid but the dual mass flywheel is a common fault and expensive to replace. Any rattles at all which may or may not disappear when clutch depressed can be a problem. Some drive for a long time with the rattle but it is hardly helping you drive with confidence . You may be as well to visit the Vectra C and Signum Forum where you will get loads of info on this engine.

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/forum.php
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

F1 9LFG

• Intermediate Member
  • nr Braintree, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2012, 23:02:44 »

This diesel engine is very solid but the dual mass flywheel is a common fault and expensive to replace. Any rattles at all which may or may not disappear when clutch depressed can be a problem. Some drive for a long time with the rattle but it is hardly helping you drive with confidence . You may be as well to visit the Vectra C and Signum Forum where you will get loads of info on this engine.

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/forum.php

Thats the sort of advice that I'm looking for - Thanks. I will bear this in mind when I see the car.

Cheers

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2012, 08:57:02 »

There are 2 versions of the 1.9 cdti - a 120 bhp and a 150 bhp. The dmf problems were on the 150 due to extra torque. I am pretty sure a top spec Astra will have the 150 bhp. If the dmf has been done in last 3 years then you are probably ok as they came up with a more reliable part. A clutch is usually also required if dmf goes
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

F1 9LFG

• Intermediate Member
  • nr Braintree, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2012, 09:45:02 »

There are 2 versions of the 1.9 cdti - a 120 bhp and a 150 bhp. The dmf problems were on the 150 due to extra torque. I am pretty sure a top spec Astra will have the 150 bhp. If the dmf has been done in last 3 years then you are probably ok as they came up with a more reliable part. A clutch is usually also required if dmf goes

Yes its listed as 1.9CDTI 150. so DMF is looking to be the biggest risk, esp with high miles.

Thanks  :y

At the price it's up for I still feel I could justify it.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 June 2012, 10:11:38 »

The 150 1.9 gearbox is quite prone to problems, it's on the limit of torque it an handle from the factory. I've had two 150 1.9's and the first one had a new gearbox at 55,000 under warranty, and the second one the gearbox was whining at 21,000 miles. Engines are generally pretty good to be honest, and they're quick too.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2012, 22:04:04 »

Second Dels comments about the gear boxes :'( my brother had two as company cars, both 150 bhp. Fortunately he only had them for two years each but by 50k the boxes were pretty well stuffed :-\ Also the 150 has a swirl flap mechanism for varying the air volume of the intake. These can fail allowing bits of plastic into the inlet valves. Newer ones post 07 are alledged to be better... Not fitted on the 120bhp ones, summat else to consider perhaps :y

F1 9LFG

• Intermediate Member
  • nr Braintree, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2012, 22:34:26 »

Second Dels comments about the gear boxes :'( my brother had two as company cars, both 150 bhp. Fortunately he only had them for two years each but by 50k the boxes were pretty well stuffed :-\ Also the 150 has a swirl flap mechanism for varying the air volume of the intake. These can fail allowing bits of plastic into the inlet valves. Newer ones post 07 are alledged to be better... Not fitted on the 120bhp ones, summat else to consider perhaps :y

Thanks mate - I may have a look at the curent one and see if I can upgrade it to a later version/metal one.  :y

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2012, 00:33:46 »

Not sure if these are the same but my company just scrapped a 55 plate 1.7CDTI with 60k on it. I know it's a different engine but these Astras don't have a temperature guage just a warning light. The AA guy who recovered it said they have seen a few where one of the coolant pipes bursts and it dumps its entire contents before the warning light can come on, you drive on with no idea and fry the engine. Ours was looked at and had holed a piston.

F1 9LFG

• Intermediate Member
  • nr Braintree, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2012, 16:22:19 »

Not sure if these are the same but my company just scrapped a 55 plate 1.7CDTI with 60k on it. I know it's a different engine but these Astras don't have a temperature guage just a warning light. The AA guy who recovered it said they have seen a few where one of the coolant pipes bursts and it dumps its entire contents before the warning light can come on, you drive on with no idea and fry the engine. Ours was looked at and had holed a piston.

:o :o I think I'll have to stick one in somewhere in that case!

Cheers

Rob  :y

F1 9LFG

• Intermediate Member
  • nr Braintree, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2012, 16:30:33 »

:o :o I think I'll have to stick one in somewhere in that case!

Cheers

Rob  :y

Ahh seems the temp is shown on the MID http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-82278.html

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.