Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie in at the deep end.  (Read 2025 times)

Omegaclassic

Newbie in at the deep end.
« on: 05 June 2012, 20:10:28 »

Hi folks had the omega 2.2 cdx 2001 for 6 months,great site by the way need all your help. Yesterday had loadsa smoke out the back and after a small rac journey later got home with hd failure.To top it off already have cracked
manifold and downpipe after cats is not joined properly. So started stripping her down got manifold downpipe off about to remove cams etc got to timing belt but forgot to lock cams.The current position is 90 deg on the left hand side of tdc if you are looking at the engine standing facing the bay.When the locking tool arrives can i lock cams put old belt back on and rotate to 4 oclock positon after tdc before removing cams and bits.Need to know whats the best headgasket kit vauxhall i suppose and how does the downpipe with the cats join that other pipe on the s.PS has one bit that slide up the downpipe still under car. Many Thanks  :-\ :-\ :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie in at the deep end.
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2012, 19:53:45 »

Some parts I would source purely from GM - eg, camcover gaskets. HG, I'd probably source elsewhere due to cost.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2012, 09:07:49 »

Hi folks had the omega 2.2 cdx 2001 for 6 months,great site by the way need all your help. Yesterday had loadsa smoke out the back and after a small rac journey later got home with hd failure.To top it off already have cracked
manifold and downpipe after cats is not joined properly. So started stripping her down got manifold downpipe off about to remove cams etc got to timing belt but forgot to lock cams.The current position is 90 deg on the left hand side of tdc if you are looking at the engine standing facing the bay.When the locking tool arrives can i lock cams put old belt back on and rotate to 4 oclock positon after tdc before removing cams and bits.Need to know whats the best headgasket kit vauxhall i suppose and how does the downpipe with the cats join that other pipe on the s.PS has one bit that slide up the downpipe still under car. Many Thanks  :-\ :-\ :-\

I should wait for a response on this from one of the cambelt Kings, as the position of the cams, as you clearly appreciate, is critical to avoid damage. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2012, 09:19:19 »

Source a head gasket kit from any decent motor-factor, for this job pattern is fine. Although re-use the manifold gasket if you can, pattern ones are crap and not multi-layer like the originals.

Did it over-heat for a prolonged amount of time?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2012, 09:23:54 »

OP Would like some advice about the cam positions. :y

Omegaclassic

« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2012, 13:52:18 »

Thanks guys i ve put in a bit too much info in one go but im just not gonna let it go to the breakers, as its
mint other than that.Hopefully when its done can get some pics up here.Ok so the deal is i have been loosing oil
for last 5 weeks but no coolant,so just out of interest i poked my nose in the bottle only to get a strong petrol smell from cap.3 days ago was almost home when i booted it then all of a sudden white smoke out back complete
loss of power, i pulled straight in and stopped i dont think it had time to overheat, just dumped the water.Have started taking apart bits, the manifold was cracked and i have got it of along with cat section with flexy thats knackerd as well, its  leaking. Looked inside downpipe its well black must of been burning oil as well.
Got a mate coming over as hes got an omega estate v6 but has done belts etc on saloon omega before. Looks like now manifolds off its blown gasket through back of engine.So far got, good make headgasket and kit, head bolts m11 1.25 105 and locking wedge.Will post photo of current cam sproket position so u can have a look.Need a manifold though for z22xe no holes in top and best place to get type approved cat section Whats that all about.Oh well

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2012, 15:18:10 »

If it was loosing oil did you check the cam cover gasket before this last problem.
2.2 tends to leak at cam cover gasket at the back of the engine so the leak is not visible

Omegaclassic

« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2012, 19:22:13 »

http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/o500/omegaclassic/

thats the current position of cams so far havent taken cams off i supose it doesnt matter until i put it back together.Also there was no oil in plug wells or leak at back to show oil leaking.cheers

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2012, 19:25:38 »

http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/o500/omegaclassic/

thats the current position of cams so far havent taken cams off i supose it doesnt matter until i put it back together.Also there was no oil in plug wells or leak at back to show oil leaking.cheers

Sorted ...

« Last Edit: 07 June 2012, 19:27:12 by Entwood »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2012, 19:26:43 »

cant tell from pic, think there is a paralax error, or its a tooth out...
Grumpy old man

Omegaclassic

« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2012, 19:34:29 »

Yep thats what i thought it was like that before i took it off.Was just like that looks like its out Would the best way to go about it just take it apart rest timing etc

Omegaclassic

« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2012, 17:49:36 »

Also the crankshaft pulley has two small holes in it with little notches wheres the timing mark on it.Or which one is
it timed to

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o500/omegaclassic/IMG_0142.jpg

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2012, 17:56:09 »

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Omegaclassic

« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2012, 18:32:23 »

Foumd small notch on back of crankshaft pulley lo guess thats its
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.