Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: tramlining  (Read 4520 times)

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
tramlining
« on: 07 June 2012, 19:54:27 »

Hi all, it's been a while!! hope all is well in the omega world! I am after a bit of advice over my summer tyres tramling BADLY! why would they do this? the winter tyres were fine but the summer Michelin Premacy 16" are shockers i wouldn't dare go on the outside lane in a roadworks for instance, does anyone else have this problem i'm running irmscher springs with B4's and poly bushed and it certainly feels like the front pulling it all over the place although when i had bad shocks on the back this also  created this sort of feeling, donut's seem to be fine, any ideas? there is a rumblöing when i back of , would this be something to do with it? i thought this is probably a universal joint or the like on the drive shaft any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: tramlining
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2012, 20:05:19 »

Have you checked the steering idler arm for play?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2012, 20:31:48 »

Some tyres simply dont fit mig to well, that can be the issue.
How old are the michelins?
The only reasonable explanation would be the side walls of michelins are too thin and twist slightly under load but this presumption is a bit far fetched.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2012, 21:56:13 »

I've got the Same problem and michelins on front one went right Down to cords and it wanders all over the place like you said. I think michelins are to soft as had accelras on front before they were ok just a little bit of t lining also have polys fitted and the wandering started pretty much after these were fitted.

smithpa7

« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2012, 22:09:27 »

I had the same problem when I bought my Omega 3 years ago. The tyres were down to about 2mm of tread.

Changed for new ones and this cured the problem :)

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2012, 23:31:17 »

Hi all, it's been a while!! hope all is well in the omega world! I am after a bit of advice over my summer tyres tramling BADLY! why would they do this? the winter tyres were fine but the summer Michelin Premacy 16" are shockers i wouldn't dare go on the outside lane in a roadworks for instance, does anyone else have this problem i'm running irmscher springs with B4's and poly bushed and it certainly feels like the front pulling it all over the place although when i had bad shocks on the back this also  created this sort of feeling, donut's seem to be fine, any ideas? there is a rumblöing when i back of , would this be something to do with it? i thought this is probably a universal joint or the like on the drive shaft any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Guessing the michelins are worn...? Has it been set up correctly to something approach
-1.10 camber Etc etc...? Have the wheels been fitted as they came off, prior to fitting winter tyres...

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2012, 23:33:10 »

I've got the Same problem and michelins on front one went right Down to cords and it wanders all over the place like you said. I think michelins are to soft as had accelras on front before they were ok just a little bit of t lining also have polys fitted and the wandering started pretty much after these were fitted.
was camber set after polly fitted...?

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2012, 00:04:26 »

are the tyers on the right way round, when had new tryers fitted they have a mark on them to say what way they are to be fitted?
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2012, 08:39:14 »

thanks for the replies, my tyres are just about down to the markers so i geuss this is the problem, Chris i didn't get the tracking/camber done after the pollies were fitted but saying that the winter tyres seem o.k so i geuss the tracking e.t.c is o.k, i really don't want to pay out to have that done again, anyone got some good suggestion on tyres or should i go for michelin premacy again, although now would be the time to find some 17"s i geuss, does anyone know what the rumbling would be on back off would this be the drive shaft or is it  the diff bearing? many thanks for the quick responses,
Rich.

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2012, 08:40:09 »

are the tyers on the right way round, when had new tryers fitted they have a mark on them to say what way they are to be fitted?

yes on the right way  but as far as i could see premacies are not directional?

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2012, 10:38:44 »

I've had Dunlop Sport max, when they wore out car was tramlining badly.
The tyres were swapped for Hankook Ventus S1 and it felt like a new car.
Cheap but very very good tyres.
Don't want to impose anything but I would recomend these to anyone.

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2012, 11:55:21 »

I've had Dunlop Sport max, when they wore out car was tramlining badly.
The tyres were swapped for Hankook Ventus S1 and it felt like a new car.
Cheap but very very good tyres.
Don't want to impose anything but I would recomend these to anyone.
This a common misconception, if I understand your post correctly. Any new tyre will handle better initially, over the worn out ones taken off.

The Hankooks may be a better tyre, I don't know i've never had them fitted, but never compare the new tyre over the old. To get a good and fair comparison the entire life of both make should be taken into account. As the old ones WILL handle poorly as they wear.
Typical situation for an omega would be worn shoulders and almost untouched centre on the front. Rear will be the opposite with worn out centre and comparatively unworn shoulders. No car will handle well with tyres worn so.

Some improvement "may" be found by rotating rear tyres to the front. Depending if you want to only buy two at a time or a set. Although in this case it's a bit late for that by the sound of it.

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2012, 12:03:37 »

thanks for the replies, my tyres are just about down to the markers so i geuss this is the problem, Chris i didn't get the tracking/camber done after the pollies were fitted but saying that the winter tyres seem o.k so i geuss the tracking e.t.c is o.k, i really don't want to pay out to have that done again, anyone got some good suggestion on tyres or should i go for michelin premacy again, although now would be the time to find some 17"s i geuss, does anyone know what the rumbling would be on back off would this be the drive shaft or is it  the diff bearing? many thanks for the quick responses,
Rich.
If the tyres you own show any sign of inside shoulder wear, it will need set up. Components and tyres fitted should give good results. The unknowns are set up and tyre wear.
If it was me I would be making certain primacy have every chance of wearing evenly to avoid bad handling and extra cost of excess wear, especially considering how expensive Michelins are.
See the camber guide maybe? Iirc the GDP at the top should be about 7mm. But don't quote me. My memory is appalling.

Or maybe post some pics of the tyre tread...?

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2012, 12:04:48 »

Ps, a quick check for faults won't hurt either. :)

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2012, 12:29:18 »

I have had this on my car since I have owned it, which is 2 years changed the 16 to 17in no better, replaced wishbones, idler etc much better but still tramlining. However it was actually caused by play in the steering box, my garage adjusted out the slack and wow what a difference, then another vist to WIM and pretty well perfect. Never thought of the steering box, when the tyres are replaced I will get WIM to redo it at the same time. I have lowered mine with Eibachs and B4's got to say a pleasure to drive at last.

So maybe worth having the steering box checked, not sure how this effects it as I am now mechanic but others on this board maybe able to enlighten.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.