Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wet weather tyres - which are best?  (Read 2360 times)

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
Wet weather tyres - which are best?
« on: 11 June 2012, 16:11:22 »

:) Ok, we have had loads of rain and the roads are to put it midly 'iss wet most of the time with standing water cos the drains cannot cope!
My 3.0 beast, although well shod very near to 85% tread on both, skates its rear wheels each time a bit of power is put on and holding the road on a fairly sharp bend or roundabout is asking for trouble at anything over 30 cos the back end just breaks away without much warning. I have tried it with the TC on and off and it makes no difference.
Can someone tell me what a decent wet weather tyre is for miggy 3.0 auto is? I have used Michelin Primacy Pilot and Dunlop SP Sport Maxx but wonder if there are any more to have ago at?
I am now even considering putting winter tyres on and suffering the low mileage from them just to be safe from sliding......... :(
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: Wet weather tyres - which are best?
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2012, 16:19:54 »

Vredesteins are excellent wet weather tyres.

Having said that, I'm on middling Kumhos and don't have any bother - is the suspension geometry all checked and fine, all bushes and mounts in good condition?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2012, 16:26:15 »

I have used both Primacy and Sport Maxx and found them to be pretty decent in the wet, TBH.

No tyre will cope with dispersing the level of standing water we get on some of our roads, now that the councils appear to have given up maintaining the roads and their drainage systems, but if you really are experiencing the back end getting wayward without provocation I would look a little further afield than the tyres.

I find my Omega pretty neutral in dry and wet weather, and you'd certainly have to be fooling around to get the back end to step out on a wet roundabout. I also find there's plenty of warning when it does let go.

Shocks, springs, bushes, at the front and the rear are worth a once-over as is the suspension geometry if nothing looks worn, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2012, 16:54:12 »

I can only recommend Cooper Zeon CS6 tyres. I bought two front ones to replace the only slightly worn Dunlop SP Sport 9090's I had. They were too noisy for me so had to go. They went on and I can't believe how much better they feel. They've got about 6k on them now since they went on and they still feel like new. Very precise and feel like they roll a bit less than the Dunlops. And I thought the Dunlops were good! Grip in the wet is great too. Feels really sure footed and only twitches under the hardest braking.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Cooper/Zeon-CS6.htm

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2012, 17:17:18 »

Nokian H
Toyo T1 Sport
Michelin Pilot EXALTO
Continental ComfortContact
Vredestein UltraCCento

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2012, 18:34:22 »

for wet weather pirelli pzero (not any sub model not rosso or nero or etc)  is #1
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Auto-Zeitung-Max-Performance-Tyre-Test.htm

goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 is #2  (its #1 for overall) :y

but must warn none of them good on snow or frost or ice..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2012, 19:09:03 »

I have used both Primacy and Sport Maxx and found them to be pretty decent in the wet, TBH.

No tyre will cope with dispersing the level of standing water we get on some of our roads, now that the councils appear to have given up maintaining the roads and their drainage systems, but if you really are experiencing the back end getting wayward without provocation I would look a little further afield than the tyres.

I find my Omega pretty neutral in dry and wet weather, and you'd certainly have to be fooling around to get the back end to step out on a wet roundabout. I also find there's plenty of warning when it does let go.

Shocks, springs, bushes, at the front and the rear are worth a once-over as is the suspension geometry if nothing looks worn, IMHO.
Can't disagree with any of that, except maybe the Michelin, IME, seem to go rock hard (like a budget tyre) after a few k.

I have to really try to get my (purposely 'pointy' setup) MV6 to break traction on those Sport Maxx TT.

The Elite has Heinz 57 budgets. Don't have to try in the dry before I'm lookin out of the passenger window. Again. In the wet, its Miss Daisy mode.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2012, 19:10:27 »

Should add, the Sport Maxx TT are "OK" in the ice and snow. Not great, and certainly nothing like a proper winter tyre, but OK.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2012, 19:17:23 »

I presume we're talking about a summer tyre that works well in the wet, rather than a specific wet weather orientated tyre?

Sc3 very good in the wet, IMO.

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2012, 19:27:51 »

...and to add. What ever performance a tyre has in the dry for the money, wet weather grip always seems to be proportionate to the cost, generally speaking.

In other words, cheap tyres simply don't work in the wet. Look at premium stuff if your after all round performance.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2012, 19:33:51 »

...and to add. What ever performance a tyre has in the dry for the money, wet weather grip always seems to be proportionate to the cost, generally speaking.

In other words, cheap tyres simply don't work in the wet. Look at premium stuff if your after all round performance.

yes.. no buts ifs..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2012, 21:44:04 »

Some cheap tyres have the same level of grip wet or dry. May I present Autogrip, surely the most lethal tyre on the planet ;D
Grumpy old man

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2012, 22:09:38 »

Some cheap tyres have the same level of grip wet or dry. May I present Autogrip, surely the most lethal tyre on the planet ;D

On par with Triangle I believe. Who the opps thought calling a tyre manufacturing company Triangle was a good idea?!

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 June 2012, 23:26:21 »

Don't know if anyone in UK heard about Tigar tyres.
Deadly even on Yugo  ;D
Only good thing was that they couldn't get penetrated (were made from material more like plastic than rubber)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 June 2012, 23:41:42 »

.. and I also meant to say.. try experimenting with tyre pressures at the rear. It will get wayward at the back if you've pumped up the back end when fully laden and then forgotten to let the air out, especially when wet. Set pressures to 32 PSI all round unladen and take it from there.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.