Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experts on laptop hardware  (Read 3133 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Any experts on laptop hardware
« on: 05 August 2012, 09:49:57 »

Specifically battery charging.

HP Mini 210, not charging its battery. Windows shows it as battery present, not charging. HP Diags tool shows it as present, but very flat. Charging light on laptop show its not charging.

So, battery or system board?

When powered up, 3 connections on battery have approx 3v, other 2 have 0v

Can't see any obvious failed components in the areas around the charging area of board.  HP Battery diags show the battery has been charged 34 times.
Grumpy old man

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
Re: Any experts on laptop hardware
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2012, 10:21:57 »

This happened to my lads laptop turned out to be the battery :y

mga32

• poole
    • 2.2cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2012, 11:32:58 »

It will be the Battery

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2012, 14:24:41 »

Most likely the battery, but you might have a faulty charging circuit. The most likely cause is a loose connector centre pin, which will arc for a bit with a bad connection which builds up a layer of oxide, which then completely isolates the pin. A cleanup and soldering the centre pin will repair it, but as it will be mechanically weaker you will always have to be careful when the lead is plugged in or it will happen again.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2012, 14:45:56 »

Most likely the battery, but you might have a faulty charging circuit. The most likely cause is a loose connector centre pin, which will arc for a bit with a bad connection which builds up a layer of oxide, which then completely isolates the pin. A cleanup and soldering the centre pin will repair it, but as it will be mechanically weaker you will always have to be careful when the lead is plugged in or it will happen again.
I believe psu connector to be good, based on the laptop works fine on ac power...
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2012, 16:00:29 »

If your psu connector ok (and no burns on mobo in that area), then most likely culprit is battery  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2012, 16:03:56 »

If your psu connector ok (and no burns on mobo in that area), then most likely culprit is battery  :y
Thats what I'm coming around to.  HP have made the actual power socket seperate to systemboard on this model, with flying leads. So no issues with mechanical/dry joint probs.

HP Diags show the battery has been cycled 34 times (seems about right), but is 2.5yrs old.
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2012, 16:05:06 »

Thats what I'm coming around to.  HP have made the actual power socket seperate to systemboard on this model, with flying leads. So no issues with mechanical/dry joint probs.

HP Diags show the battery has been cycled 34 times (seems about right), but is 2.5yrs old.

:y :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2012, 16:07:44 »

So before I splash out, anyone local got an HP Mini 210 I can test their battery?
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2012, 17:51:57 »

Sorry can't help with spare battery.

Remember pattern parts ok  ;D ;D ;)

Martian

« Reply #10 on: 06 August 2012, 14:57:20 »

Based on the fault description thus far, I'm quite happy to bet on the battery being duff as well.

maria

• Omega Baron
  • Derbyshire
  • I'm proud to be welsh :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2012, 15:07:34 »

Have you thought about the mother board and not the battery cause my lap top was not charging  and not coming on so didn't know what was up with it but when i got pete to use  my charger on his lap top it worked and i thought what could it be so took it back to powerhouse/ currys to be sent for a repair and it was not the battery but my mother board went and i only had it 3 months when i brought it in april of this yr

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2012, 15:08:45 »

batterys have a chip inside for charging and over load power they fail and battery will not charge, its a little 6-8 pin chip in the battery, can change them with another one from an know battery cell dead one and will work again. have had to doit to a lot of old laptops were the batterys have faults and they dont make them any more, can buy the cell's on bay,  but not the chips.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 August 2012, 19:17:05 »

Have you thought about the mother board and not the battery cause my lap top was not charging  and not coming on so didn't know what was up with it but when i got pete to use  my charger on his lap top it worked and i thought what could it be so took it back to powerhouse/ currys to be sent for a repair and it was not the battery but my mother board went and i only had it 3 months when i brought it in april of this yr
That was my query, its either battery or systemboard ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 August 2012, 19:21:27 »

batterys have a chip inside for charging and over load power they fail and battery will not charge, its a little 6-8 pin chip in the battery, can change them with another one from an know battery cell dead one and will work again. have had to doit to a lot of old laptops were the batterys have faults and they dont make them any more, can buy the cell's on bay,  but not the chips.
The chip is not that intelligent ;)

The cells are reported fine by the chip, thus Windows sees it as a healthy, if somewhat flat.

For future reference, you must never, ever, ever replace any less that the entire compliment of cells in a Li-ION battery pack. Ever. Thats approaching the same league as the daft bint jouring petrol near her gas hob  :-X

In fact, changing all cells in a Li-ION pack needs to be done with extreme caution, and isn't really cost effective to DIYers, due to shear number of cells needed to get matched ones.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 19 queries.