Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Guns and Americans  (Read 1419 times)

m.ian

Guns and Americans
« on: 26 August 2012, 10:30:50 »

cem_devecioglu

Re: Guns and Americans
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2012, 11:03:50 »

assuming everyone who buys them will behave responsibly is simply idiotic..  :(

guns are for shooting and killing.. I think the laws must be very harsh for who sells, buys and keeps them..

it must be only for officials.. otherwise you can never stop murders  >:(   

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2012, 12:26:29 »

Only in America. :-\

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2012, 15:21:36 »

Unfortunately, you not only get planned rampages with guns but there are also many deaths through random shootings, either by drive by or (normally drunken people or worse) taking pot shots at cars as they drive past their house.  :o :o :o :o

Every time I've been to the US, this has been an almost daily news item.  >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2012, 17:23:32 »

I think only legal gun which must be permitted for those cowboys is water pistol ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2012, 17:38:40 »

can you imagine some mad with this on the street :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=-W4WT0zFV2Q&feature=endscreen

or these people if they decide to play "live" :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Z05UF_pTYAE&feature=endscreen
« Last Edit: 26 August 2012, 17:40:30 by cem »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2012, 17:45:15 »

and here is a wedding ceremony from east part of my country >:( >:( >:( >:(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3VPgFNy3xw    (its a kurdish wedding)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2012, 18:10:30 »

An interesting thread. :y

mantahatch

« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2012, 18:24:08 »

I have said it before, and no doubt I will say again "no gun has ever killed anybody ever"

That said, I would ban all guns in a second. And anybody found with one should be detained indefinatly.

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2012, 19:55:33 »

start with the illegal ones. :y

albitz

« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2012, 20:20:56 »

I have said it before, and no doubt I will say again "no gun has ever killed anybody ever"

That said, I would ban all guns in a second. And anybody found with one should be shot..

:y ;D ;D

Maybe we should all be allowed to have one or two. :)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2012, 20:51:25 »

Personlly I like firearms, I'd be in the wrong job if I didn't.  I have been shooting in various forms since I was 12.  I am fairly preficient with rifle, pistol and shot and I am qualified to run a shooting range.  The wife is American and she hates firearms.

The father in law's side of the family are pretty much all republican and for the most part gun-carrying NRA members.  Before I met the wife I knew very little about this side of America and I had a lot of misgivings due to my ignorance and foregone conclusions.  They weren't a bunch of ignorant fools with no idea of what's going on around the world.  Indeed my father-in-law has a mensa-like IQ and we have had many discussions about many worldly topics which have challenged my thoughts and opinions on what I thought I knew.  Although he wouldn't change his opinions we have reasoned debate where we both listen to and respect each other's point of view.  One of his friends is on the complete otherside of US politics.  She is again very very smart, being a retired judge, and very well travelled.  A staunch Democrat and very very 'green'.  There is no debate on the climate with her, once you even start to talk about climate change if you dont agree with her then you are alien.  End of.  Now I thought that this entrenchment of opinions would be the other way around.

My wife's uncle sadly passed away earlier this year and he took me deer hunting a few years ago.  He has about 20-30 acres and instead of a gun-cabinet he has a gun room.  Yup, you name it he had it.  He lent me an M14 with snow stock for the hunting trip.  The first thing he did was check my weapon safety skills, he wasn't confident that the military would have taught me to the level that is deemed acceptible for NRA members, a fact which shocked and partly offended me.  Indeed there were a few moments when I got that look where I had done somthing, completely normal in my line of work, but was not up to the standard of safety they expected.  However they were nice and polite to me about it.

There was no loud shouting and 'hooting' when one guy made a kill, just a quick clean wth a knife and a comment that the shot wasn't as clean as he would have hoped, he was a few inches off the sweet spot.  The deer was then taken away and hung to mature in an outhouse.  It wasn't a trophy, it was food and the venison stew we had that night from a previous kill was delicious.

Many, although admittedly not all, of the gun rampages I hear of in the US are often commited by people who have had no upbringing with firearms, yet the ease of access to them (unchecked and without a parent figure to develop the necessary respect for firearms) is alarming to me.  It would seem to be more of a problem with society rather than with firearms.  Anyone can get a firearm, anywhere, if you try hard enough whether it be legal or not.  You are never going to get rid of them.  Indeed history dictates that if a state/country bans firearms gun crime will increase.  In countries where nearly everyone has a firearm because they have all done military service you often find that gun crime is low.  Is it because everyone is armed?  Or is it because everybody has used and thus respects firearms? 

So what do you do to solve it?  Arm everybody?  Scary!  Ban firearms?  Bad idea!  Do nothing?  Worse still!  It's a question to which nobody has the right answer but the first reaction to it by the masses is often the worst.

I would certainly not take everything at face value when it comes to America.  I would certainly throw away your stereotypes and the horseshit you are fed by the media.  I have got to know that place pretty well over the past 10 years and I have had pretty much everything I thought I knew discredited. 

I will most probably be moving there in the near future, I made a promise to the wife.  But on one condition; that I could have a pistol, a rifle and shotgun.... for shits and giggles down on the range and, of course, just in case :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2012, 21:08:55 »

Personlly I like firearms, I'd be in the wrong job if I didn't.  I have been shooting in various forms since I was 12.  I am fairly preficient with rifle, pistol and shot and I am qualified to run a shooting range.  The wife is American and she hates firearms.

The father in law's side of the family are pretty much all republican and for the most part gun-carrying NRA members.  Before I met the wife I knew very little about this side of America and I had a lot of misgivings due to my ignorance and foregone conclusions.  1.They weren't a bunch of ignorant fools with no idea of what's going on around the world.  Indeed my father-in-law has a mensa-like IQ and we have had many discussions about many worldly topics which have challenged my thoughts and opinions on what I thought I knew.  Although he wouldn't change his opinions we have reasoned debate where we both listen to and respect each other's point of view.  One of his friends is on the complete otherside of US politics.  She is again very very smart, being a retired judge, and very well travelled.  A staunch Democrat and very very 'green'.  There is no debate on the climate with her, once you even start to talk about climate change if you dont agree with her then you are alien.  End of.  Now I thought that this entrenchment of opinions would be the other way around.

My wife's uncle sadly passed away earlier this year and he took me deer hunting a few years ago.  He has about 20-30 acres and instead of a gun-cabinet he has a gun room.  Yup, you name it he had it.  He lent me an M14 with snow stock for the hunting trip.  The first thing he did was check my weapon safety skills, he wasn't confident that the military would have taught me to the level that is deemed acceptible for NRA members, a fact which shocked and partly offended me.  Indeed there were a few moments when I got that look where I had done somthing, completely normal in my line of work, but was not up to the standard of safety they expected.  However they were nice and polite to me about it.

There was no loud shouting and 'hooting' when one guy made a kill, just a quick clean wth a knife and a comment that the shot wasn't as clean as he would have hoped, he was a few inches off the sweet spot.  The deer was then taken away and hung to mature in an outhouse.  It wasn't a trophy, it was food and the venison stew we had that night from a previous kill was delicious.

Many, although admittedly not all, of the gun rampages I hear of in the US are often commited by people who have had no upbringing with firearms, yet the ease of access to them (unchecked and without a parent figure to develop the necessary respect for firearms) is alarming to me.  It would seem to be more of a problem with society rather than with firearms.  Anyone can get a firearm, anywhere, if you try hard enough whether it be legal or not.  You are never going to get rid of them.  Indeed history dictates that if a state/country bans firearms gun crime will increase.  In countries where nearly everyone has a firearm because they have all done military service you often find that gun crime is low.  Is it because everyone is armed?  Or is it because everybody has used and thus respects firearms? 

2.So what do you do to solve it?  Arm everybody?  Scary!  Ban firearms?  Bad idea!  Do nothing?  Worse still!  It's a question to which nobody has the right answer but the first reaction to it by the masses is often the worst.

I would certainly not take everything at face value when it comes to America.  I would certainly throw away your stereotypes and the horseshit you are fed by the media.  I have got to know that place pretty well over the past 10 years and I have had pretty much everything I thought I knew discredited. 

I will most probably be moving there in the near future, I made a promise to the wife.  3.But on one condition; that I could have a pistol, a rifle and shotgun.... for shits and giggles down on the range and, of course, just in case :y

1. Like every country , there are clever people and stupid people.. question is is their ratio.. and I'm afraid clever people are outnumbered like other countries :-\

2. Honestly cant understand what solution you have..  :-\   the fact you are ignoring that there are lots of hungry people  thats ready to rob you..  will you let them to be armed easily .. 3.. as you said you dont trust them and need guns.. :-X

if everyone in a community have the same conclusions like you and try to arm , I'm afraid 3rd world war is not far ;D :y

ps: I dont think hunting with modern arms is a hunt.. besides I'm completely against it unless your only way of finding food is that.. think of the scenario a human with firing skills and a higher IQ and a modern gun.. thats not fair and thats not hunt..imo 
« Last Edit: 26 August 2012, 21:11:55 by cem »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 August 2012, 23:27:20 »

Unchecked deer population can cause major problems, which we are now getting in the England with major damage to crops, where the deer population has been allowed to grow substantially over the last 10 to 15 years.

Scotland which traditionally has had a high deer population and do have annual culls because of this.

As a teenager I had several friends with air rifles and also did some .22 rifle shooting when in the army cadets. I personally love the precision engineering of guns.

If I lived in the US would I own several guns, probably but I would also join a gun club and make sure I kept and used them responsibly. If I had the land would I go game hunting, in a word yes as fresh game meat is very different to mass produced meat. Venison to me is the best meat in the world, where it is so rich and tender. If you've never tried it IMHO you've missed out on one of the great culinary delights, but there again I'm also rather partial to stewed rabbit and pheasant. Game meat can be much tougher than mass produced meat, which is why it often has to be stewed. Pheasants over a year old, you can tell their age by the scales on their legs, especially male ones are too tough to roast and destined for the pot. Cider and Pheasant stew is one of my favourites.  :y :y :y :y :y :y Preparation means that I'm quite a pheasant plucker.  ;D ;D ;D

To eat any meat means an animal's life has to end, if people can't / don't accept that then they should probably not eat fish, meat or eggs. A couple of weeks a go my wife's brother dispatched a pig for my wife's mother as he does a couple of time a year for her and my mother-in-law has culled about half of their ducks this weekend, where they are fully grown, so just consuming food for no gain. They are now in the freezer. This is normal village life in the Ukraine. It is actually city folk that are out of touch as this is essentially what happens on an industrial scale to put meat on our supermarket's shelves.

In the UK the number of people shot using illegal handguns has gone up substantially since all such guns were banned for civilians, as was predicted at the time.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 August 2012, 23:38:12 »

how can this be? when that complete and utter w++ker bliar came to power,he told us that when all those nasty guns were taken off  evil homicidal people like myself,then all gun crime would cease!!!  ::) ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.