Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Capping Gas .  (Read 1827 times)

omega3000

Capping Gas .
« on: 29 August 2012, 14:20:22 »

Hi folks hope your enjoying the rain  :-X Im demolishing my brick fire place but it has a gas fire fixed in but want it ripped out together with capping off the gas to the fire ... can i do that myself with a simple connection on the end once ive turned of the gas of course  :)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: Capping Gas .
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2012, 14:25:45 »

I did and i've not blown up .................... yet  ;D

Light the gas fire then turn off at the mains so most of the gas burns off.
Cut pipe back and solder a cap on the end  :y

omega3000

« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2012, 14:30:01 »

I did and i've not blown up .................... yet  ;D

Light the gas fire then turn off at the mains so most of the gas burns off.
Cut pipe back and solder a cap on the end  :y

Aye good tip that  ;) So ill need a heat gun then and some solder .... can you not buy a push on type connector like they use on water pipes  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2012, 14:30:33 »

Yes, in theory, but if anything went wrong you would need to show that you did it "competently", i.e. performed the work according to the relevant regs and tested it afterwards.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2012, 14:31:15 »

Crossed reply..NO, you can't use a push-on plumbing stop-end.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2012, 14:31:39 »

Someone said to test around the joint with fairy liquid for leaks after ...

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2012, 14:44:05 »

Tools needed

1 blow torch  (heat gun not hot enough imho)
1 End cap of the correct size ( I prefare the ones with the solder ring built in)
A tub of soldering flux and some solder
Wire wool

As said in other post

Clean up pipe end with wire wool until its nice and shiney.
If your using the cap with a solder ring, slide it onto the end and heat it up until the solder can be seen round the end of the pipe / cap.
If, like me  ::)  you don't get a perfect seal first time, apply a little flux round the joint then heat it up with the blowtorch until the flux starts to run then apply the solder round the end of the cap / pipe until it runs round the pipe.

Leave it to cool on its own ................... don't squirt water on it or you may end up with a dry joint and it may leak  ;)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2012, 14:51:20 »

Yes, in theory, but if anything went wrong you would need to show that you did it "competently", i.e. performed the work according to the relevant regs and tested it afterwards.

An important point and, in the aftermath of an incident where the escape of gas was thought to be a factor, you can rest assured that such information would be the first thing asked for (from any survivors).

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2012, 16:10:34 »

An important point and, in the aftermath of an incident where the escape of gas was thought to be a factor, you can rest assured that such information would be the first thing asked for (from any survivors).

Got me worried...., so

Just had an omega owner round to borrow some tools and assess my gas pipe , he's going to cap the pipe for me ... having looked into what i would have to do im not feeling confident enough to blow myself up  ;D Funny stuff gas and only one outcome when not done correctly i guess , thanks for the info though chaps  :y

Thanks martin  :)
« Last Edit: 29 August 2012, 16:14:37 by EMD »

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2012, 16:29:42 »

AFAIK Any disconnection or connection of gas supply must be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer. This will include a leak test before and after the work and a cert to show the work was done competently

Worst case it will cost you £50. Guy I use charges me £25

If there is a stop tap for the gas to the fire you can turn this off yourself and if left in place will not require any other work but must always be accessible

Direct Gov Website about gas safe http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/ChoosingTradersAndServiceProviders/DG_4018095

HTH
Phil

keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

omega3000

« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2012, 17:04:44 »

AFAIK Any disconnection or connection of gas supply must be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer. This will include a leak test before and after the work and a cert to show the work was done competently

Worst case it will cost you £50. Guy I use charges me £25

If there is a stop tap for the gas to the fire you can turn this off yourself and if left in place will not require any other work but must always be accessible

Direct Gov Website about gas safe http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/ChoosingTradersAndServiceProviders/DG_4018095

HTH
Phil

Thanks phil , i will have a look once the fire surround is out  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 August 2012, 17:34:17 »

AFAIK Any disconnection or connection of gas supply must be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer. This will include a leak test before and after the work and a cert to show the work was done competently ....

I'd always understood that you could do what you want on your gas system as long as it wasn't for reward, ie you couldn't charge your mate to work on his gas system ........  :-\ :-\ :-\

Not that I've ever had need to do much gas work, but I've always do it myself. ....... tested with a match afterwards!  ::) ::) ::)

only kidding!  ;) ;) ;) :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 August 2012, 17:39:09 »

AFAIK Any disconnection or connection of gas supply must be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer. This will include a leak test before and after the work and a cert to show the work was done competently ....

I'd always understood that you could do what you want on your gas system as long as it wasn't for reward, ie you couldn't charge your mate to work on his gas system ........  :-\ :-\ :-\

Not that I've ever had need to do much gas work, but I've always do it myself. ....... tested with a match afterwards!  ::) ::) ::)

I use a lighter to test the joint for leaks

And i'm not kidding  ;D

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #13 on: 29 August 2012, 19:48:46 »

It this bit that puts you in jeopardy with DIY

"Homeowners: gas safety responsibilities
As a homeowner, you have a responsibility to yourself and the residents in your home to ensure gas appliances and flues are safe.
It’s recommended that you regularly maintain and service all gas appliances and/or flues. This work must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer, as must any other gas work."

Seen that done by Gas Safe guys before now  :o but with the main tap off. Not exactly and invalid way to test although a tester (manometer) on the meter is always the best way  ::)
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 August 2012, 20:52:21 »

And i'm not kidding  ;D

lol that reminds me of the only fools and horse sketch when the van stops and won't start and one of them is under the bonnet checking too see if any fuel is coming through :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.