Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Cooler Change  (Read 746 times)

Olddavid

• Depoe Bay, Oregon
    • 97 Catera
    • View Profile
Oil Cooler Change
« on: 03 September 2012, 02:22:32 »

I didn't listen properly to my betters when installing the new cam cover gaskets, so here I go again. This time, I intend to change the DIS and attempt to find a way to grommet the plug holes. While I have it down to the valley, how hard is it to re-locate the oil cooler to a more conventional place? Does anyone make a kit to facilitate the process? My car currently has just turned 70k miles and the previous owner garaged it even though she lived in San Diego, never used anything but Amsoil from stem to stern, has every available option and just looks and drives great - at least when running on all six cylinders. So, I think it is worth making everything right so I can have the expectation of 50,000 trouble free miles. Input from anyone greatly appreciated.

feeutfo

Re: Oil Cooler Change
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2012, 09:43:17 »

Pattern cam cover seals used first time? They are renound for early failure, and genuine cc gaskets are the only way to seal the plug wells from oil. If genuine gaskets are installed correctly, with clened breathers as the guides etc, there shouldn't be any further issues with oil leaks, provided the cam covers themselves are in good nic.

Oil cooler, that's a common question. Usual answer is to leave well alone, as the coolant also heats the oil on cold starts, then the process is reversed when the engine heats up, and the stat opens etc.

Olddavid

• Depoe Bay, Oregon
    • 97 Catera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2012, 15:50:14 »

I used Fel-Pro, but one side had a crack that wasn't visible until cleaned and torqued. Now after obtaining a good used cam cover all is well. One of the locals tried to steer me to V6 SAAB covers, claiming they work and are made out of metal. I didn't feel like being a guinea pig, so I went with Cadillac's parts. Anyone out there ever tried the SAAB pieces?

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2012, 15:54:45 »

The things only leak as the breather get gunged up with time. They should have been part of the service schedule and wernt.

They cause pressure to increase which then causes oil to leak into the plug wells and worse.

Fitting metal covers is possible - but has no benefit at all - also the oil filler is in the wrong place.  :-\

Cleaning the breathers out every is the best bet - and stick to GM parts and make sure the covers are torqued down properly - it's a very low setting - 8Nm IIRC.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2012, 15:56:07 »

Stick with GM. Don`t fit metal camcovers due to the fact that if the breather system does get slightly choked the only outlet available will be through a blown rear crank seal. :o With GM covers any build up of pressure will result in the gasket/s blowing. A darn sight easier job :y
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2012, 20:52:32 »

The plastic covers must be inspected for damage, and only torqued to 8Nm (not sure what that is in Lb/ft, which I believe is the US standard)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.