Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My turn (what tyre)  (Read 13659 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
My turn (what tyre)
« on: 19 September 2012, 10:13:00 »

I need new rubber all round. Currently have a different branded tyre on each corner and one that is 8 years old  :-X. Wishbones and WIM will be done prior to tyre fitting. I'm looking at the likes of Goodyear F1 which for 17s cost £125 (cheapest I could find). For that money I could also buy Conti sport contact 3 or something a bit different Uniroyal Rainsport 2.

Anyone who run these, whats the dry/wet grip, braking, wear and noise like?

Thanks

cem_devecioglu

Re: My turn (what tyre)
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2012, 10:25:12 »

running 225 45 17 goodyear eagle f1 asymmetrics.. very grippy , silent, I cant see the wear rate, traction control light is off after I bought them and never seen abs working.. and mine is manual which was before lighting the traction control even with winter tires..  Opti bought the same tires 235 45 17 and was a tight fit as the tire has tick rim protection..but he reported no problems..

ps : all of the listed tires are good.. latest tests show conti is #1 in dry but in wet asymmetric is better ..
« Last Edit: 19 September 2012, 10:27:50 by cem »

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2012, 10:28:21 »

Are yours on elite wheels?

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2012, 10:40:32 »

Are yours on elite wheels?

nope.. they are OEM wheels.. :-\

will find the link..

here.. with spacers
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=103517.0
« Last Edit: 19 September 2012, 10:42:42 by cem »

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2012, 10:42:38 »

Currently running sc3 very good tyre all round.
Will give 20k, so justifys the the more expensive price IMO.
Excellent grip wet or dry, good stability in the MO variant.

However they are bringing in the similarly ish priced sc5 so 3 is becoming more difficult to find in my preferred "MO" Mercedes variant with rim protection, as Micheldever didn't have any in.
I currently have the Audi variant and although not as stable are slightly more compliant. Early days with these though so will report as I find...

The sc3 don't give as planted a feel as the Dunlops such as sport maxx and tt but they do last longer. Considerably longer. Still give good directional stability though.

Goodyear give good results too but I have limited experience with those, although others speak highly off them.

kingycos2

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2012, 10:44:45 »

Eagle F1's and nothing else for me. I've tried all the big brands, and for me they are even better than Pilot sports. The new Bridgestone S00 series are meant to be good, a direct replacement for the S02 and S03, however not available in 235/45/17 yet.  :y  :y  :y  :y  You will get the second series Eagles F1's now, Ive got them on the rear of mine and series one on the front. Both awesome, done 15,000miles on fronts, maybe 4-5 mil left in tread. So should see 25,000 miles from the front, maybe 30,000 from the rears.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2012, 13:18:52 »

The SC5s cost quite a bit more in XL version. SC3 are quite noisy aren't they Chris? For this reason swaying towards Goodyears

Had the uniroyals on a Civic VTi which had really bad inner edge tyre wear due to suspension issues so can't really compare but others have good things to say about them.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2012, 13:21:13 by SMD »

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2012, 13:42:46 »

Sc3 not particularly quiet tbh.

Got my prices from Micheldever tyres.

mantahatch

« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2012, 13:48:12 »

I need new rubber all round. Currently have a different branded tyre on each corner and one that is 8 years old  :-X. Wishbones and WIM will be done prior to tyre fitting. I'm looking at the likes of Goodyear F1 which for 17s cost £125 (cheapest I could find). For that money I could also buy Conti sport contact 3 or something a bit different Uniroyal Rainsport 2.
Anyone who run these, whats the dry/wet grip, braking, wear and noise like?

Thanks

Uniroyal is what I would go for if I could afford them. Allways liked them and havegiven good mileage and great grip for me.

kingycos2

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2012, 13:54:55 »

I don't personally rate them. Eagle F1's are the same price as rainsport of mytyres.co.uk. Why by a lesser tyre for the same money, makes no sense! Everyone's preference I suppose..
Eagle F1's now £100 a corner, cheap IMO. I paid £600 for four including fitting/balancing and tracking recently...

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2012, 14:18:37 »

Uniroyal's are good tyres, and extremely good in the wet, never had a tyre which deals with aqua planing so well either.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2012, 18:04:58 »

I need some tyres, quite desperately.

I am a big Sport Maxx TT fan, but reckon I may try some more SC3 XL for durability. £168 a pop though (in my size) :'(
Grumpy old man

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2012, 18:41:30 »

For which car?

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2012, 18:49:14 »

I need some tyres, quite desperately.

I am a big Sport Maxx TT fan, but reckon I may try some more SC3 XL for durability. £168 a pop though (in my size) :'(
XL? Do they have rim protection? I had the MO mercedes version to get rim protection. These seem to handle firmer than the Audi variant I have now. Less rim protection.  ...just concerned if your going to get the same handling of the MO on the XL. Actually I've never heard of the XL. MO only. I didn't know the variants made that much difference.
 Also, given your "dis connected" comments in TBE's handling, that I didn't think was too bad even with the tyres and split rearward bushes (except the obvious pull on the brakes...) I am concerned that you'll be disappointed with the cars feel, given that Dunlops give a VERY planted feel compared to any other tyre I've experienced.

The MO are very stable directionally, but still not as planted as tt.
Audi, not as stable.
XL no experience.

Re conti Audi and Mercedes variants, results perhaps not surprising given their suspension set ups.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2012, 18:51:57 »

XL - eXtra Load, ie, load index, 94.

I was driving the MV6 back from MK for the 3rd time on Saturday (long story), thinking how well it rode, even when tottling along. But an annual £700-£800 tyre bill (per car) is not really viable
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.