Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Food ideas  (Read 1262 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Food ideas
« on: 13 October 2012, 17:32:34 »

I'm going away for a few days, and will only have access to a fridge, and a microwave. I want to eat as healthy as possible... and have the option of preparing a few meals at home before I go, to take with me.

What would you recommend?

I was thinking of cooking a couple of chickens and slicing the meat off... maybe taking things in tupperware dishes.

Any views / recommendations?

Cheers,
James

Taxi_Driver

Re: Food ideas
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2012, 17:41:58 »

Make a big barrel of chilli con carnie before you go.......nuke to reheat....

Get Uncle Bens express rice......you nuke that too

Jobs a good un  :y :)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2012, 17:44:27 by Taxi Driver »

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2012, 17:43:08 »

i think you need to wait on a reply from the resident chef,aka Amigo  ;)

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2012, 17:49:28 »

I've recently re-discovered our slow cooker & wow can't believe what I've missed. Been doin all kinds of currys, casseroles, lamb shanks, hams & soups in it. All i do is chop all the veg up, add the meat & stock and leave it for 8 hours. Then once its done put what ever I made in tupperware boxes & take them to work to nuke with the microwave.

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2012, 17:53:12 »

Pot noodle??
 ::)

I'll get my coat
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2012, 20:12:01 »

soup : small sliced chicken meat with veggies like (all small-tiny sliced)  s small union, carrot, potato, parsley,noodles, black pepper..

after you close the fire , wait 5 minutes, break an egg into a cup , mix it then add to soup and again mix it.. :y

ps: the soup must be boiled until the carrot is cooked.. nearly 35-40 minutes is enough

pps: you can heat it in microwave..
« Last Edit: 13 October 2012, 20:15:14 by cem »

cleggy

« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2012, 20:19:24 »

PUB  ;) ;D ;D

bertie1.8vectra

• wolverhampton
  • life is but a dream....
    • Jeep cherokee 3.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2012, 20:56:13 »

I personally cook some meals myself and chill and freeze them and reheat in the works microwave... I useally cook a good thick beef stew for the winter days and buy some crusty bread to go with it from sainsburys on site... or make a good batch of soup and i have even now been known to cook a mean chilli to go with some bake spudz......
Now to buy shares in BP!!!!!!!!!

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2012, 21:03:40 »

I personally cook some meals myself and chill and freeze them and reheat in the works microwave... I useally cook a good thick beef stew for the winter days and buy some crusty bread to go with it from sainsburys on site... or make a good batch of soup and i have even now been known to cook a mean chilli to go with some bake spudz......
oh aye the baked spud,so versatile...cheese,tuna,beans,chilli amongst many or just with some best butter  :-*

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2012, 21:12:09 »

With the bones and skin off the chicken, boil for a couple of hours to make frest chicken stock. Remove the skin and bones by straining the liquid. Blend a couple of cans of tomato with a small garlic clove 0.5 teaspoons of paprika and black pepper and salt to taste. Add this to the chicken stock along with dried sweet basil and boil for 10 minutes. This cream of tomato and basil soup is a great winter warmer. To reheat place in bowl or cup and nuke in microwave.

Chilli con-carne or curry as suggested above, but you can pre-cook your own rice and place in microwave containers, the secret is to drain well before placing in the containers. You can do the same with spaghetti if you take a spag bowl.

Make sure the food is boiling when you place it in the microwave / take-away containers to kill any bugs so it keeps much longer. I find food like this will keep up to a week in the fridge and months in the freezer.

To cook jacket potatoes in a microwave, wash and keep the skin moist, wrap in some kitchen paper towels and zap for 6 to 8 minutes depending upon the size of the potato.

I have a big cooking pot and cook many different dishes, portion them in 650ml reusable plastic take way dishes and freeze them, this is my fast food. :y :y :y :y Last night I made a chilli-con carne and had 14 portions that are now in the freezer.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2012, 21:26:50 »

veg can be cooked 'al-dente' in a tuppaware tub with the lid loosely attached.  Just put a small amount of water in the tub.  once cooked drain water and add a knob of butter and shake.  works great on carrots, broccoli, etc

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2012, 22:08:47 »

If it's only for a few days James go and spoil yourself and stock up on Pork Pies!! YUM!!!!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2012, 23:37:00 »

What you need to pack/prepare to 'eat healthy' depends on what you're doing for those few days.  Sitting around doing next to nothing or running a marathon a day ?   
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2012, 20:00:33 »

Evening James. I'm not keen on microwaved jacket spuds as they need finishing off in the oven to get a crispy jacket but if you don't mind it's fine. You can get microwave egg poachers from most supermarkets etc, & you can microwave bacon. Not quite the same but edible & healthier than frying. I believe you can now buy microwave porridge/grenola for a healthy brekky but hav'nt tried it me sen'! I hate to admit this but Morrisons do 3 packs of ready mash for a quid, plain, cheese & onion, just boil a kettle & add butter & milk, season etc. Try micowave rice sachets, i swear by them. You can mix them with tinned tuna or mackerel, cooked chicken or add chopped peppers, spring onions, cucumber, tomato etc for a healthy warm salad. You can also pour your favourite tinned soups over the rice & cooked meat to make an impromtu savoury rice. Take lots of milk & cereal, a pot of marg or butter, bread, cheese & then a microwave suitable tray/bowl & any condiments you like, ketchup, salad cream etc. Just remembered if you go into the veg isle of most supermarkets they sell packs of prepared veggies, ie cauli, broccoli, carrots, just pearce the bag & steam in the microwave...HEALTHY. Take salt & pepper.

My initial advice would've been to cook a few meals you can nuke at a later date but the good folk of OOF beat me to it. Happy travelling, Guy. :y
Curry makes the world go round!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 17 queries.