Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2322 times)

llewellyn237

• Teesside
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
Windows 8
« on: 28 October 2012, 11:17:30 »

Anyone took a test drive yet?

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2012, 11:54:27 »

No, took ages to have a play on a Vista laptop I bought, didnt like that, Since upgraded to Windows 7 and not 100% with allthough better and smoother in a lot of ways I still struggle with some of the things that were so simple in XP.

So unless windows 8 is a big improvement am not in a rush to move on. :-\
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2012, 16:04:33 »

Been using the pre release ones for a couple of years, like the step from XP to the far superior Vista, took a few weeks to understand it.

No plans to buy it, I'll wait until the PCs/Laptops need replacing, and they will probably come with Win8.

My Media Centre is staying as Win7, as Win8 MCE is a chargable add-on.  Plus, Remote Potato will probably only work with Win7, and I do love my Remote Potato :)
Grumpy old man

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2012, 16:11:34 »

Yes, I have tried it too and was not impressed, I was involved in the pre-test release testing phase too, and like many others who have have decided that it is not for me due to its changes being more geared to the touch screen and tablet pc so I have cancelled the pre-order I had placed. I will, like the others, stick to the stable WIN7. To back that up I have just ordered another WIN7 Home Premium.
I have the idea that this new WIN8 will go the same way as did that lousy Vista.....Millenium, 2003 and 2000! All were rubbish!
Your choice, but have a good tryout first before you part with the readies............
Its on sale now WIN8 Pro for the paltry sum of £25.99 as a download or £49.99 for the retail pack DVD.
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2012, 16:35:15 »

Yes, I have tried it too and was not impressed, I was involved in the pre-test release testing phase too, and like many others who have have decided that it is not for me due to its changes being more geared to the touch screen and tablet pc so I have cancelled the pre-order I had placed. I will, like the others, stick to the stable WIN7. To back that up I have just ordered another WIN7 Home Premium.
I have the idea that this new WIN8 will go the same way as did that lousy Vista.....Millenium, 2003 and 2000! All were rubbish!
Your choice, but have a good tryout first before you part with the readies............
Its on sale now WIN8 Pro for the paltry sum of £25.99 as a download or £49.99 for the retail pack DVD.
Millenium, yes, no disagreements there.  But, pray, tell me what was wrong with Windows 2000? Or Windows Server 2003 (basically the Server version of XP)? Or Vista?  All were very good systems in their day.

Windows 2000 added Active Directory and true plug and play over NT4. Windows Server 2003 offered very little extra (in the same way XP offered little over W2K), but was hardly a "rubbish" OS. Vista (and its Server, Windows Server 2008) offered lots in the way of security, both at the kernel level and at the user level, in addition to a more robust device/driver model.
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2012, 16:37:21 »

Not too impressed with beta.

Historically every other "home" release of Windows is a "good" one offering positive benefits and stability over the the previous release . . .

Windows 3
Windows 3.1  -  good
Windows 95
Windows 95OSR2   - good
Windows 98
Windows 98SE   - good
Windows ME
Windows XP   - good
Windows Vista
Windows 7   - good
Windows 8

Don't see a happy future for Win8  :(
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Mv8.com

« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2012, 16:43:32 »

Windows 8 ...looks and sounds like something from toys r us :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2012, 16:45:12 »

Not too impressed with beta.

Historically every other "home" release of Windows is a "good" one offering positive benefits and stability over the the previous release . . .

Windows 3
Windows 3.1  -  good
Windows 95
Windows 95OSR2   - good
Windows 98
Windows 98SE   - good
Windows ME
Windows XP   - good
Windows Vista
Windows 7   - good
Windows 8

Don't see a happy future for Win8  :(
I kind of agree with that, except I though Win3(.0) was pretty good, compared to its predecessor.  I would also say the original 95 was OK, compared to its predecessor, but OSR2 (and 2.5), 98 and 98SE were all pretty poor, dull upgrades. Me was just a stepping stone to wean 9x users off their old kack hardware and software, ready for the push to the NT kernel, XP (NT5.1).

Win8's future will be the uptake of MS based tablets. Thats where the consumer is now, shitty, pointless tablets.  Windows 8 is unique in that it is a combined desktop/tablet OS, albeit not particularly cleverly done from a x86/64 v ARM contradiction.
Grumpy old man

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2012, 16:48:20 »

I only tend to upgrade as Microsoft drops the upgrades for a particular system
Perhaps I`m running out of time now for XP?

I think I mean updates!
« Last Edit: 28 October 2012, 16:50:02 by 78bex »

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2012, 16:53:04 »

Guess I've run out of time then for Win3.1 and 98SE (both still running on one of my multi-boot systems as two customers using bespoke software on these platforms and refuse to update), together with XP Pro, Vista, Win7 Ult and Win8 beta, as well as Ubuntu Linux  ::)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2012, 17:12:36 »

Guess I've run out of time then for Win3.1 and 98SE (both still running on one of my multi-boot systems as two customers using bespoke software on these platforms and refuse to update), together with XP Pro, Vista, Win7 Ult and Win8 beta, as well as Ubuntu Linux  ::)

I seem to remember 2006, that`s the year I bought my current system, running XP media center. Crystal disk info tells me 5149 power on counts / 6904 hours. Glad I never bothered with the extended Dell waranty :y

llewellyn237

• Teesside
    • 52 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2012, 17:26:00 »

No plans to buy it, I'll wait until the PCs/Laptops need replacing, and they will probably come with Win8.

Exactly my intensions.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2012, 19:16:35 »

Not with anybody's bargepole. I guess Windows 9 might have some hope. At least they'll have admitted they can only do desktop machines anyway, binned the toy touch screen interface and gone back to something more suited to a monitor, keyboard and mouse.  ;D

It seems daft UIs are in vogue these days. Same reason I'll never install another Ubuntu.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2012, 19:19:26 »

Tempted to get a new media centre machine & put Windows 8 on it. FatherT has MSDN subscription so can get free copy and valid license.

Trouble is I only want something that plays 1080p so looking at budget range, so doubt it would have power for 8  :-\

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2012, 20:01:11 »

been offerd it for 20 quid
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.