Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sgt Nightingale  (Read 2015 times)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Sgt Nightingale
« on: 21 November 2012, 13:30:09 »

Has anyone read or heard what on earth is going on with this soldier who had a gun sent to him by the Iraqi Army?
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt Nightingale
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2012, 13:41:57 »

I read in the bbc earlier that he got 18 months but can't find the story now :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile

cleggy

« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2012, 13:50:34 »

I know there a petition for all who disagree with his imprisonment to sign.  :y

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/military-justice-overturn-the-decision-to-jail-sgt-nightingale-for-18-onths

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2012, 15:53:41 »

Can't be arsed to google the details but iirc, he had the pistol in his house between 2007 and 2009.
2009 was when he had the accident and memory loss.

Sadly, I don't believe for one minute that he didn't know the pistol was in his house during those 2 years.
Does anybody really believe he didn't unpack his own kit when he got back so imo he is guilty as hell and tbh, he got off lightly because if it was me or you, we would be looking at a 5 years  ;)

At the end of the day, all he had to do was pop into the armoury or register it with the Mod plods and all would have been ok.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2012, 17:07:51 »

Can't be arsed to google the details but iirc, he had the pistol in his house between 2007 and 2009.

Sadly, I don't believe for one minute that he didn't know the pistol was in his house during those 2 years.
Does anybody really believe he didn't unpack his own kit when he got back so imo he is guilty as hell and tbh, he got off lightly because if it was me or you, we would be looking at a 5 years  ;)

At the end of the day, all he had to do was pop into the armoury or register it with the Mod plods and all would have been ok.

To a certain extent ... all true .. but ignores the 300+ rounds of ammunition stored under a bed .....  :(

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2012, 17:22:27 »

To a certain extent ... all true .. but ignores the 300+ rounds of ammunition stored under a bed .....  :(
[/highlight]

There goes his 'Get of Jail Free' card! He has no excuse, EVERY Serviceman is given the pep talk re; Unlawfully removing ammunition from the Service Environment it is issued for. Even ONE round would have put you in Chokey in my day  :o

Then again I would have needed an extension ladder to climb into bed 'cos 300 x 4.5" projectiles takes up a bit of room  ::)
« Last Edit: 21 November 2012, 17:27:23 by PhilRich »
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

STMO123

« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2012, 17:53:14 »

Being an ex squaddie who's seen action does not exclude you from obeying the law.

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2012, 18:22:57 »

Guilty as charged.should of handed it in

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2012, 18:37:39 »

Guilty as charged.should of handed it in

+1 :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2012, 19:17:26 »

I see the ITV news are still being VERY picky on what they report ..

He was "given" the pistol
He had an "accident" that caused him to forget

No mention of the 2 years between those events
No mention of the 300+ rounds ammunition
No mention that he was a weapons instructor,and so TAUGHT the rules he has broken
No mention that despite his "accident" he is back on full time service (and i don't se the SAS sending someone on Ops to "sandyside" with memory loss .......

Every military person I know, and all the military forums, are saying he knew the rules and broke them ... but an attractive blonde wife makes a good story for the press....

Never let the truth get in the way .........

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2012, 19:27:43 »

I see the ITV news are still being VERY picky on what they report ..

He was "given" the pistol
He had an "accident" that caused him to forget

No mention of the 2 years between those events
No mention of the 300+ rounds ammunition
No mention that he was a weapons instructor,and so TAUGHT the rules he has broken
No mention that despite his "accident" he is back on full time service (and i don't se the SAS sending someone on Ops to "sandyside" with memory loss .......

Every military person I know, and all the military forums, are saying he knew the rules and broke them ... but an attractive blonde wife makes a good story for the press....

Never let the truth get in the way .........

too many people get away with crime at present time. my friend got 3 and a half yrs in may and he's out Friday with his 5 months remand last yr and tag its all over.

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2012, 06:59:42 »

As an ex-squaddie....you do the crime and you do the time....he knew the rules as laid out in clear language in the Queens Regulations, easy as that.
Problem is that the gutter press and bottom feeder reporters and presenters are at it again.
Maybe it is those who should do the time.................. ;)
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2012, 09:27:04 »

I heard in the news yesterday that he has been granted an appeal in the next week or two. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

IMHO, "Hero" or not, putting a shedload of ammo and an unlicensed firearm under your bed in the first place is an offence, regardless of whether you subsequently "forget" about it. If he were such a hero I'd expect him to graciously accept that he's in the wrong and do his time.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2012, 09:38:15 »

I heard in the news yesterday that he has been granted an appeal in the next week or two. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

IMHO, "Hero" or not, putting a shedload of ammo and an unlicensed firearm under your bed in the first place is an offence, regardless of whether you subsequently "forget" about it. If he were such a hero I'd expect him to graciously accept that he's in the wrong and do his time.

Sorry to disagree Kevin ... he has NOT been "granted the right to appeal" that right has always existed !!! .. Quick google on "Court Martial Appeal Court" will show that ... what his "team" have managed to do is to "fast track" the date of the hearing.

Unfortunately the grounds for that "fast tracking" have not been made public so far, AFAIK
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 18 queries.