Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How come a little bit of Rain brings the whole area to a standstill............  (Read 1648 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile

A short length of flood on a dual carriageway on the A689 at Wynyard, that I could happily have driven through closed the road all day, causing huge ques both ways; the diversion east bound meant a right turn through a small village at a roundabout causing trouble for west bound traffic............

Hit it going to work and coming home, nearly hour and a half for a 12 mile journey, I hate sitting in ques........ >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The only bit of a smirk came when I thought about all the traffic and trucks going through this little, modern, posh village full of footballers and their wags..... :D :D

omega3000

Your JEEP should have gone through that a treat  :y

Vamps

• View Profile

Your JEEP should have gone through that a treat  :y
[/highlight]

Exactly.......  ;D ;D ;D  :P :P  on the way home a Land Rover had gone through the road closed signs, followed by a Police 4x4, don't think he was being pulled, just coincidence...... :-\ :-\ :)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

Don't think you'd get through some of the floods around Worcester! Slowly receding now but couldn't park in my usual car park

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile

A short length of flood on a dual carriageway on the A689 at Wynyard, that I could happily have driven through closed the road all day, causing huge ques both ways; the diversion east bound meant a right turn through a small village at a roundabout causing trouble for west bound traffic............

Hit it going to work and coming home, nearly hour and a half for a 12 mile journey, I hate sitting in ques........ >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The only bit of a smirk came when I thought about all the traffic and trucks going through this little, modern, posh village full of footballers and their wags..... :D :D

Buy a vehicle to cope with adverse conditions and minimize delays and inconvenience, yet you're not allowed to use them.  >:(
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile

We've got a few roads closed around here and I had to take a detour to get home tonight
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

I'm 200 m above sea level. If anything floods here it's really hit the fan. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Vamps

• View Profile

I'm 200 m above sea level. If anything floods here it's really hit the fan. ;D

We smile like that, house is on one of the highest points in the village, and our caravan (Static) is well above the river, but in view, at Ripon which we have seen in spectacular flood a number of times.... :D :D

House wise there is the smallest possibility that if the back drain blocked there could be some water flow through the garage before it worked its way around the side of the house, but only happened once to the point that water entered the garage in 12 years.... :) :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

There's a 30' deep railway cutting at the bottom of the garden. That'd have to fill up for a start.

Mind you, there's enough standing water around. Even bought some mud guards for my mountain bike at the weekend. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile

Give it a week or so and there'll be a hosepipe ban 'cos of the water shortage!!

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile

You're only a stones throw from me. The amount of muppetry on display, you understand why they've closed the road. You and I have our heads screwed on, most people can't be trusted to cross the road by themselves.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Vamps

• View Profile

Couldn't get to work easily again this morning, all roads to Stockton / Billingham closed, tried via Darlington and then decided if cars were coming North on the Closed Southbound A177 then it was not blocked where I had expected... :y it is only dual carriageway half it's length; I decided to go for it, went through the road closed signs, thinking I can always turn round....... :D :D Got through with very little trouble, in water for only 2 or 3 yards and only a few inches deep if you get yourself right over the the other carriageway......I would even have taken a car through it.....Got to the office at 11.00am....... :( ::) ::) ::)

Home in 20 minutes, the A689 was open where I needed it....... :y :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile

Hang on a minute..... If the road is closed (just with a 'Road Closed' sign) is it ILLEGAL to ignore the sign and drive down the road?  I can appreciate a big A road would have diversions in place etc, but where I live and travel to work it is mainly country lanes, most of which have been 'closed'.

Up until now, I have driven around the sign and carried on regardless (Transit with great ground clearance).  The most I have come across so far is ~2ft of still water which, with the correct speed creating a bow wave, is handled no problem at all by the van.

I've had to turn around once due to the road being physically blocked by little crap boxes which have 'made an attempt' and failed.

So, is it illegal to drive down a 'closed' road? 
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Vamps

• View Profile

Hang on a minute..... If the road is closed (just with a 'Road Closed' sign) is it ILLEGAL to ignore the sign and drive down the road?  I can appreciate a big A road would have diversions in place etc, but where I live and travel to work it is mainly country lanes, most of which have been 'closed'.

Up until now, I have driven around the sign and carried on regardless (Transit with great ground clearance).  The most I have come across so far is ~2ft of still water which, with the correct speed creating a bow wave, is handled no problem at all by the van.

I've had to turn around once due to the road being physically blocked by little crap boxes which have 'made an attempt' and failed.

So, is it illegal to drive down a 'closed' road?

No idea, but no sign, just bollards and warnings on the radio, no diversion, all other roads flooded, hence my problems.... ::) ::)

Interesting point though, Road Closed, but if you live at the farm that you can see, can you go through......tbh, when the road is closed due to an RTC they tend to have a police car to stop or question anyone wanting to pass........anyway, no one was looking...... ;) ;) ;)

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile

There's a 30' deep railway cutting at the bottom of the garden. That'd have to fill up for a start.

Mind you, there's enough standing water around. Even bought some mud guards for my mountain bike at the weekend. ;D

didn't know you had an MTB - that could make an interesting weekend sometime....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.