Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibly the end of my Omega ownership......  (Read 2785 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Possibly the end of my Omega ownership......
« on: 22 December 2012, 19:11:49 »

Well ,I've been thinking about this for a some time now but after checking my annual mileage on the Omega and finding only 2090 very enjoyable  miles driven in 12 months the cold hard facts are difficult to ignore .
The gombeens in power over here have rasied the annual roadtax on my 2.0Lt to €710 a year . Add to that the cost of  insurance , NCT (mot) ,general servicing / repairs and petrol and it just isn't economically viable to spend that amount of money on a vehicle that is probably worth not much more than the total annual outlay irrespective of it's condition.
So thank you you bunch of jumped up school teachers you have destroyed my enjoyment in motoring and successfully reaped a nett loss to your exchequer by being so rampantly greedy and forcing me to re evaluate my position.
This household's contribution in road tax to the blaggards in Dublin is currently circa € 1700 a year  ::)which is in anyones eyes a grotesque slice of anyones GDI .
We have another car , van and "fun " car so won't be short of transport .
I shall now embark on a focused and relentless search for a well cared for 1983 or earlier E28/E12  BMW or similar to qualify for the over 30 year old  €56 a year roadtax applied to Vintage / classics. That will be my "daily " and they can go and dance round a bonfire for the difference....
This is not a goodbye , yet... but it's highly unlikely I will renew the annual road tax with the impending other severe austerity taxes we are about to be hit with over here and as they will never come down again .......well ?
My advice to you all back in UK is for God's sake vote UKIP and avoid being swallowed into the Eurozone because we are all doomed over here ........

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly the end of my Omega ownership......
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2012, 22:35:35 »

Sorry to hear that mate, but I can fully understand your dilemma and decision making. Thankfully we in the North are not governed by the same blaggards ........ yet  :-X

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2012, 11:31:21 »

sorry to hear that Olympia.. may be not all but many of us are constantly forced to make hard decisions and sacrifices..I'm also considering to drop to a single car for long time..  Increased taxes,insurance, mot, parts,fuel and parking space problems for 2 cars really disturbing me..the only reason I keep omega is I have spent way too much to give up and can never find another in a similiar condition..   and using small engine cars is no more different than a bicycle imo.. :(  will wait till the day inevitable comes..

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2012, 18:45:44 »

Sorry to hear that,  :(I know taxes are really high there but didn't think that high,  :ohow on earth do those lilly livered prats expect you to get around as the bus services are pretty crap outside the cities and big towns, if they are anything to go by here, if all the cars were to disapear from our roads there would have to be one hell of a tax increase and the country would grind to a halt if public transport was to be relied on. >:( >:( Well thats my soapbox bit over for today. ;D

albitz

« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2012, 18:54:37 »

I dont think they have buses (and almost certainly not trains) in County Kerry. Car/tractor/donkey are probably the only options. ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2012, 20:45:07 »

A very sad story.

I thoroughly expect Spain to go down the very same downward "austerity spiral route" before not to long. I think the Uk should not be smug about things either as they are in a bad bad way too. Sadly your turn will come when the cr$p hits the fan. There is only so long that any indebted country can be in denial.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2012, 20:53:07 »

I walked through our town this afternoon and out of 25 cars 9 were two months out of tax........blatently parked on the main street.

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2012, 21:00:41 »

Can understand mate But you dont need a miggy on here mate-few of us stooopid die hards(nutters) glutton for punishment
types still swear by/at them but others have gone totally bonkers and bought different makes/models so stick around cos you will end up awake at nights wondering what we are up to on OOF :y :y :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

omega1oon

• cannock
    • satin red 3.0v6 saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2012, 21:01:31 »

sorry to hear that you are being screwed over mate and wow thats a lot its like double mine  :o
how can that be justified  ???
always looking for spairs :-)

omega3000

« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2012, 21:16:21 »

I walked through our town this afternoon and out of 25 cars 9 were two months out of tax........blatently parked on the main street.

Ive seen lots of cars over the past few months with virtually no tread left on the tyres  :o Sign of the times where the car will get less and less money thrown at it while household bills go up and up  :( My elite is being scrapped in march now its developed a fault no longer worthy of fixing  :'(

albitz

« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2012, 22:20:38 »

Don.I dont suppose theres any way you could register your Mig in the U.K. ?  :-\ ;)

omega1oon

• cannock
    • satin red 3.0v6 saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2012, 22:25:12 »

Don.I dont suppose theres any way you could register your Mig in the U.K. ?  :-\ ;)
that would only work if he spent a period of time in the uk every year not shore how long it is to be honest but thats with uk law  ;D
always looking for spairs :-)

albitz

« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2012, 22:26:12 »

There might just be ways and means though. ;)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2012, 22:57:51 »

Wouldn't work Albs .
I could register it at any of my reletives address in UK but to tax it I'd need to MOT it in UK every year and the cost of taking it to closest landfall which is SW Wales would be just about as much as the annual tax here .
I would have no hesitation if I could but nope , stuffed any which way..........
As a matter of interest for you guys , a 2.2 would cost €951 a 2.6 €1294 and a 3.0 /3.2 €1809 , yes that was € 1809 a year.....
I just cant relate to that sum of money just to drive a car on the road , I think the Irish as a nation are walking in their sleep . I could never imagine a nett tax demand increase of €2000  on an annual UK household budget , which what it will cost this house , being applied without riots occuring on the streets of Britain .
Remember the Poll Tax.........

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2012, 23:05:03 »

Wouldn't work Albs .
I could register it at any of my reletives address in UK but to tax it I'd need to MOT it in UK every year and the cost of taking it to closest landfall which is SW Wales would be just about as much as the annual tax here .
I would have no hesitation if I could but nope , stuffed any which way..........
As a matter of interest for you guys , a 2.2 would cost €951 a 2.6 €1294 and a 3.0 /3.2 €1809 , yes that was € 1809 a year.....
I just cant relate to that sum of money just to drive a car on the road , I think the Irish as a nation are walking in their sleep . I could never imagine a nett tax demand increase of €2000  on an annual UK household budget , which what it will cost this house , being applied without riots occuring on the streets of Britain .
Remember the Poll Tax.........

That's a disgraceful amount of road tax. Just found this http://www.irishlinks.co.uk/car-tax-ireland.htm which I think means that from Jan it would cost €2350 for my R320  :o :o :o
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.