Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery light on  (Read 10681 times)

feeutfo

Re: Battery light on
« Reply #105 on: 18 January 2013, 19:53:33 »

I don't understand how the varying electrical requirements from the alternator can cause the belt to slip? I thought the physical affort required to turn the alternator would be the same. Or are we talking electrical magnets type stuff? :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 18 January 2013, 19:57:01 »

I don't understand how the varying electrical requirements from the alternator can cause the belt to slip? I thought the physical affort required to turn the alternator would be the same. Or are we talking electrical magnets type stuff? :-\

The electrical load is "work" that the alternator has to do ... as the load (work) increases the effort to turn the alternator increases .. the engine does more "work" to drive the load ...

If the belt is loose and the load gets too high .. the belt will slip .. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 18 January 2013, 19:58:50 »

In simpleton terms, the more load on the alternator, the harder it is to turn.

Its how, for example, electric motor braking works - by putting a ridiculously high load on it.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #108 on: 18 January 2013, 20:02:02 »

Ok so what's in the alternator that causes drag? Certainly it's free spinning engine off. What's happening to cause the drag?

Battery turns the starter, starter turns the motor, motor turns the alt....?

In simpleton terms, I don't understand electrics.

aaronjb

« Reply #109 on: 18 January 2013, 20:24:58 »

The electrical load causes the drag.. it's free spinning with the engine off - turn on an electrical load and try spinning it and it should be harder to turn.

It's the law of conservation of energy - you can't get 'free' energy, it has to come from somewhere, so it comes from the effort required to turn the alternator to produce the desired power output. Literally it's due to requiring a stronger magnetic field to generate the power..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 18 January 2013, 20:38:26 »

The electrical load causes the drag.. it's free spinning with the engine off - turn on an electrical load and try spinning it and it should be harder to turn.

It's the law of conservation of energy - you can't get 'free' energy, it has to come from somewhere, so it comes from the effort required to turn the alternator to produce the desired power output. Literally it's due to requiring a stronger magnetic field to generate the power..

Yep, in other words, "electrical magnets type stuff".  :y

;)

I tested my refurbed alternator by spinning it on an electric drill. Apply a load (car headlamp bulb in this case) and you can certainly feel the extra resistance doing that.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #111 on: 18 January 2013, 20:45:09 »

;)

I tested my refurbed alternator by spinning it on an electric drill. Apply a load (car headlamp bulb in this case) and you can certainly feel the extra resistance doing that.

Ok I'm getting there. So why can't I feel magnets spinning by hand? Are there magnets in there? Or is it electrical field type magnets? (So not magnets at all)
« Last Edit: 18 January 2013, 20:51:15 by chrisgixer »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 18 January 2013, 20:51:19 »

;)

Ok I'm getting there. So why can't I feel magnets spinning by hand? Are there magnets in there? Or is it electrical field type magnets?

There are no permanent magnets.

The rotor (bit that turns) has a coil of wire on it which creates a magnetic field when a current is passed through it (the regulator controls this, and the brushes pass the current from the fixed regulator at the back of the alternator to the rotating rotor).

The stator (outer part made of steel plates stacked up) also has coils of wire wound onto it (you can see these easily through the cooling slots in the case). When the magnetic field created by the rotor rotates within the stator, an electric current is induced in the coils in the stator. This current is rectified (turned from AC to DC) and powers the electrical items in the car and charges the battery.

So, until you have current in the rotor coil, you have no magnetic field, and it actually has to be spinning pretty fast for anything significant to happen even then (they typically spin at about 3 times engine RPM, so yours is normally doing about 18,000 RPM ;)).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #113 on: 18 January 2013, 20:54:18 »

Yeah, no wonder the bearings are f@cked. ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 18 January 2013, 20:59:51 »

That reminds me. Bits I needed to refurb mine were:

Regulator £19.99
Bearing 6303 2RS C3 £3.99
Bearing 6003 2RS £3
« Last Edit: 18 January 2013, 21:07:23 by Kevin Wood »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 18 January 2013, 21:59:55 »

Let's put it really simply.... The hamster in yours is tired so you need a new one ;) ;D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 18 January 2013, 22:05:40 »

I can pick up & deliver for you on sat. - i need to go to reading anyway so is not much of a detour?

feeutfo

« Reply #117 on: 18 January 2013, 22:28:16 »

I can pick up & deliver for you on sat. - i need to go to reading anyway so is not much of a detour?

Only of your passing Radar. :y

I have to ring them first thing, see if its arrived. I think they shut at 12?

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 18 January 2013, 22:41:17 »

12 sounds about right - you have pm.

feeutfo

« Reply #119 on: 18 January 2013, 22:53:32 »

Nice one Radar. I'll ring em first thing.

Thankyou. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.