Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wipers not parking correctly......  (Read 2611 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Wipers not parking correctly......
« on: 16 January 2013, 21:06:43 »

I must stress that I have not tried them myself yet..... ::) :-X

Long story short seems swmbo switched on the wipers, but they were frozen stuck for a while, now the wipers are parking vertically on the screen......but she says they are working OK. Personally I can not see how they can work without going off the screen but she says they don't............

My first thoughts are that something has 'slipped' both wipers??? or the gears on the motor end, still can't see how the wipers would not go off the screen as if they are parked incorrectly the wipers should start by going off the the right, right??   

Any thoughts?

albitz

Re: Wipers not parking correctly......
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2013, 21:08:03 »

Spindles turned on the arms ?

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2013, 21:12:04 »

+1.

when idid the breathers last i didnt tighten the nuts up enough (same outcome as frozen stuck holding them against the force of the motor). alin them up again and tightem with a good tight turn and see if that helps  :y

as an aside, i actually found that the easiest way to keep your wipers in place.,...... two small pieces of masking tape where they should sit so you dont forget... first time i forgot and spent ages trying to align them up properly  ::) ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2013, 21:15:40 »

Any thoughts?

Ignore above answers  ::) ::)

The wiper mechanism has slipped in the classic place when numpties turn the wipers on when they're stuck to the screen  ::). You need to slip the arm from the motor back to between the two marks on the ally casting ie between >  and  <
I know that people have sorted this with the mechanism  in situ, but I'd remove the whole thing so you can see what you're doing ....... be careful of the paint on top of your driver's front wing.  :y :y

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2013, 21:15:55 »

+1.

when idid the breathers last i didnt tighten the nuts up enough (same outcome as frozen stuck holding them against the force of the motor). alin them up again and tightem with a good tight turn and see if that helps  :y

as an aside, i actually found that the easiest way to keep your wipers in place.,...... two small pieces of masking tape where they should sit so you dont forget... first time i forgot and spent ages trying to align them up properly  ::) ;D

This was my thought but why when she switches them on do they not start going off the the right and off the screen, or at least, she says they don't, or if they slipped for 180 degree would they go to the left from start?....... :-\ :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2013, 21:17:17 »

+1.

This was my thought but why when she switches them on do they not start going off the the right and off the screen, or at least, she says they don't, or if they slipped for 180 degree would they go to the left from start?....... :-\ :-\

They would if they'd slipped on the spindles that protrude through the scuttle.  ;)

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2013, 21:17:39 »

Any thoughts?

The wiper mechanism has slipped in the classic place when numpties turn the wipers on when they're stuck to the screen  ::). You need to slip the arm from the motor back to between the two marks on the ally casting ie between >  and  <
I know that people have sorted this with the mechanism  in situ, but I'd remove the whole thing so you can see what you're doing ....... be careful of the paint on top of your driver's front wing.  :y :y

That makes more sense, thanks Andy...... :y :y

Mind she didn't like being called a 'Numpty'............ :D :D :D
« Last Edit: 16 January 2013, 21:19:48 by Vamps »

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2013, 21:21:35 »

Any thoughts?

+1 :y :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2013, 21:25:22 »

if the cap fits .........  ;) ;) ;)

Grass!  ::) ::) ::)

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2013, 21:30:39 »

if the cap fits .........  ;) ;) ;)

Grass!   ::) ::) ::)

:D :D :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2013, 21:38:52 »

It's easily sorted anyway Mike. There are 4 (?) hex headed self tappers holding the whole mechanism in place, remove them & it'll come forwards first, then out over the wing (obviously after the wipers & scuttle have been removed). There's 13 mm nut that holds the arm onto the wiper motor spindle, it's this nut that needs slackening to let the arm turn to the correct position between the >    < marks.  :y :y :y

Let the wipers stop on their own before you start the job so that the spindle is in the correct park position.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2013, 00:39:58 »

It's easily sorted anyway Mike. There are 4 (?) hex headed self tappers holding the whole mechanism in place, remove them & it'll come forwards first, then out over the wing (obviously after the wipers & scuttle have been removed). There's 13 mm nut that holds the arm onto the wiper motor spindle, it's this nut that needs slackening to let the arm turn to the correct position between the >    < marks.  :y :y :y

Let the wipers stop on their own before you start the job so that the spindle is in the correct park position.

It's not me who will be sorting it, but our local friendly independent, sadly there is not much more than the basics I do these days, though all tooled up....... :( :( :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2013, 00:44:01 »

It's not me who will be sorting it, but our local friendly independent, sadly there is not much more than the basics I do these days, though all tooled up....... :( :( :D

very easy to do Mike. No lifting involved, maybe a little awkward removing the mechanism .....  :-\

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2013, 00:55:11 »

very easy to do Mike. No lifting involved, maybe a little awkward removing the mechanism .....  :-\

If the Garage can sort it tomorrow then all well and good, if not I will sort it on Saturday, I do very little these days........... :( :(

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2013, 01:42:01 »

If the Garage can sort it tomorrow then all well and good, if not I will sort it on Saturday, I do very little these days........... :( :(

Sign of advancing years Mike  ;D ;D ;D ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.