Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problems with my speed controller  (Read 943 times)

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
problems with my speed controller
« on: 19 January 2013, 18:16:44 »

I recently replaced the speed controller from VX after a scuttle drain blockage did for it. All was well but after a few days the fan stopped working. I have removed the glove box and tested the fan. it is ok. Strange thing though is when I reconnect speed controller it all works again. Leave it for a few days and it stops working. Has anyone had an intermittent problem with the speed controller. I am told the only way to check the thing is with the appropriate vx diagnostics?
 Any help much appreciated.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: problems with my speed controller
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2013, 20:39:59 »

Yep Tech2 will diagnose :y

If fan is ok (ie runs when 12v across terminals) you can check speed controller (hedgehog) by pulling the connector off the controller and you`ll will see some small & large connectors attached. The large ones are the + supply and the output to the fan. Join the two large connectors, if fan runs "hedgehog" is knackered (testing hedgehog care of RobG - don't thank me thank him) :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2013, 10:19:27 »

There isn't much a Tech 2 can tell about the speed controller. Climate panel sends a speed signal to it but there is no other communications with it.

Sounds to me like one of the connectors could be working loose?

Failing that, I suppose the speed controller could be shutting down due to overload and only resetting when power removed? Maybe worth trying pulling the fuse that supplies it and seeing if that also results in it working again?

If this is the case, remove the motor and check its' condition. Maybe it is partially seized and drawing too much current?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2013, 10:46:37 »

Thanks for that kevin. Well it has worked for a few days and again this morning nothing. So pulled the fuse as you suggested but still no fan. Checked connectors and they are fine. I will remove the connectors whilst fuse out and reconnect and see what happens. Any further ideas much appreciated. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.