Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: active select  (Read 2639 times)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
active select
« on: 05 March 2013, 00:59:13 »

we're getting an astra sports tourer 2lt CDI auto which, I believe, has active select. My current auto miggy has a sports button and snowflake button. Does the auto select system replace any of these functions or is it something totally different? (I know I can ask dealer but just wondered if anyone on here knew)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: active select
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2013, 08:44:25 »

http://www.vauxhallquotes.co.uk/research/glossary-definition.aspx?term=active-select

I'd understand that to be an 'Easytronic' ie a manual gearbox underneath with automated controls .... a simplified version of a DSG. Do you have a warrenty?  ::)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2013, 09:05:23 »

thanks for the reassurance  ;D ;D Luckily its a motability vehicle to replace our old estima so all parts/labour covered.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2013, 09:19:07 »

thanks for the reassurance  ;D ;D Luckily its a motability vehicle to replace our old estima so all parts/labour covered.

MArksDTM says it's normally just the actuator that fails ...... but there's often Easytronic Vauxhalls on eBay & a mate had expensive problems with his - far more than just an actuator  :-\)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2013, 13:15:23 »

MArksDTM says it's normally just the actuator that fails ...... but there's often Easytronic Vauxhalls on eBay & a mate had expensive problems with his - far more than just an actuator  :-\)

Oh dear :o, just looked up several sites about the Easytronic system-not good is it? Ive driven triptronic cars before with no problems but reviews of this particular system do not fill me with confidence. On the other hand, the new "active select 6speed " is supposedly "all new" so maybe theyve overcome the issues and come up with a semi-automatic gearbox that works?(Please ;D)

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2013, 15:47:42 »

Aye i know someone was quoted £1200 to fix his Easytronic , always going wrong  :(

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2013, 21:37:54 »

You have just got a motability car? brave, very brave unless you are under about 50 years old....... ;) ;)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2013, 11:42:04 »

You have just got a motability car? brave, very brave unless you are under about 50 years old....... ;) ;)

;D ;D As luck would have it Vamps I am in fact (whisper it) over 50. Who would know?
 Actually its for our youngest as he now needs a wheelchair to get about and his AS makes using what little public transport there is difficult to say the least. We did keep the Estima as there was plenty of room but as all the other kids have flown the nest now we didnt really need 7 seats any more. Very sad to lose her as she was in very good nick for a 20 year old car but mpg wasnt good and the stuff that needed doing for the MOT , though not major, was really an expense we couldnt afford. Anyhow, went for the motability option as no worries about MOTs etc and SWMBO thought it would would be nice to have a "new" car for a bit having had a 20yr old one and a 15 yr old miggy for so long. Think she wanted something smaller until I pointed out that, quite apart from his wheelchair, if we went away anywhere, whilst I might get all my stuff in a carrier bag she ended up packing the kitchen sink ;D Lip on the estate is obviously lower too making taking the wheelchair in/out a lot easier. Chose the auto option because havent had a manual car for over 10 years now and,well, as I said, I am over 50 now ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2013, 12:17:04 »

The biggest issues with the Easytronic boxes are the techs not understanding them, this often results in willy nilly part changing

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2013, 12:28:32 »

The biggest issues with the Easytronic boxes are the techs not understanding them, this often results in willy nilly part changing

maybe, but my mate ended up with a fortune spent on his Vectra's, initially under warranty and then again out of his own pocket when it died again 12/18 months later. How many parts are there to 'willy nilly' swap? If it's anything like SWMBO's Smart, there's pretty much just the actuator & a motor to actually change gear after the actuator has 'dipped the clutch'?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2013, 12:47:43 »

And I suspect the info regarding the auto box used on the six speed Astra J and Insignia is wrong, my understanding is its a 6L40

Which is a torque converter based box

The Vectra 1.9 CDTi and the Astra used the AF40

Which is also a torque converter based box

The only engines I have ever seen with the Easytronic type is the small block units (e.g. 1.0, 1.2 and some 1.4/1.6/1.8's)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 March 2013, 13:01:58 »

And I suspect the info regarding the auto box used on the six speed Astra J and Insignia is wrong, my understanding is its a 6L40
.... I just Googled 'active'select' & came up with the link that I guessed at as being an Easytronic .....  ::)

The only engines I have ever seen with the Easytronic type is the small block units (e.g. 1.0, 1.2 and some 1.4/1.6/1.8's)
My mate's was a Vectra, again, from what gear selector was there & how he described it, I'm guessing that was also an Easytronic ....... whatever it was, it made for a very expensive taxi

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 March 2013, 13:19:38 »

Not many Vectras were (maybe 1.6).

It sounds to me like poor spanner twirling, potentialy they fixed the symptom and not the route casue the result is a further failure.

E.g., the oil pump gets tired and causes issues with a tired valve block, change the valve block and all appears good for a while.

Just seen the same on BW velvet drive box which has had the clutches changed twice, we opened it up and found a worn oil pump.....as well as further worn clutches

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 March 2013, 13:24:00 »

It sounds to me like poor spanner twirling, potentialy they fixed the symptom and not the route casue the result is a further failure.

Quite likely ...... it was done at Vauxhall  ::) ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2013, 13:25:51 »

.... I just Googled 'active'select' & came up with the link that I guessed at as being an Easytronic .....  ::)

Its not, its a manumatic....so auto gearbox with the ability to manualy select the gears (manualy controllable automatic)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.