Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are these tools available in metric ?  (Read 1296 times)

mantahatch

Are these tools available in metric ?
« on: 22 March 2013, 20:33:43 »

I have a few of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/king-dick-knock-off-sockets-3-4-and-15-16-AF-set-of-two-/171008410670?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item27d0e5442e and use them quite a lot. Mine are imperial but I am increasingly needing metric ones.

Does anyone know f they are available anywhere ?

Thanks in advance.

omega3000

Re: Are these tools available in metric ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2013, 23:33:59 »

What are they used for  :-\ Never seen such contraptions  ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2013, 23:39:12 »

I've never seen them in metric, and only ever seen them at vintage car shows or vintage tool sales ... must be a few years old now. always hated the damned things anyway :(

EMD .. basically you place the socket over a stuck/tight/seized nut and smack the protrusion with a hammer ... to "knock off" the nut ... once loosened use a normal spanner ..   its a VERY old version of a percussion tool ...    :)

As they wear they get less and less reliable, and once they start to slip they wreck the nut head very fast .. :(
« Last Edit: 22 March 2013, 23:42:57 by Entwood »

mantahatch

« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2013, 23:40:27 »

I use them for some difficult to get to nuts on some equipment we have. Old units are imperial but newer ones are metric. I use a long drift and hammer to loosen and tighten the nuts. They are surprisingly useful. It can be done using conventional spanners or sockets but requires the removal of many many other parts first.

Oh yes, you tap with the hammer  :y

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2013, 23:43:41 »

Thanks for that , learn something every day  ;) Ive probably seen them but overlooked them especially at boot sales . I can see them being handy  :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2013, 23:44:53 »

I use them for some difficult to get to nuts on some equipment we have. Old units are imperial but newer ones are metric. I use a long drift and hammer to loosen and tighten the nuts. They are surprisingly useful. It can be done using conventional spanners or sockets but requires the removal of many many other parts first.

I can imagine that, loosen or tighten..... :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2013, 23:44:57 »

Never thought of them that way .. I guess they could be usefull in those circumstances .. we only ever used em as I described ... brute force ( and lots of ignorance !)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

mantahatch

« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2013, 23:48:02 »

Never thought of them that way .. I guess they could be usefull in those circumstances .. we only ever used em as I described ... brute force ( and lots of ignorance !)

We use quite a bit of that as well  ;D ;D 

mantahatch

« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2013, 23:51:00 »

This works ok for seized nuts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manual-Hammer-Impact-Driver-Tool-Heavy-Duty-/261184527124?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3ccfcf9b14 - just need a big hammer :y

Thankfully there not seized just hard to reach with conventional tools. Looks like I may to buy some extra metric ring spanners and cut and machine them  :(

omega3000

« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2013, 23:51:40 »

It would be handy to have a set of these , are they durable ... i guess that depends on how big the hammer is  ::)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2013, 23:57:22 »

This works ok for seized nuts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manual-Hammer-Impact-Driver-Tool-Heavy-Duty-/261184527124?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3ccfcf9b14 - just need a big hammer :y

I have an identical one to that in the garage .. must be well over 40 years old now !! The knock offs are actually easier to use if they fit properly, as you're not struggling to hold the driver and the hammer at the same time ..  :)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2013, 17:58:55 »

I have an identical one to that in the garage .. must be well over 40 years old now !! The knock offs are actually easier to use if they fit properly, as you're not struggling to hold the driver and the hammer at the same time ..  :)

Yep mines over 40 years old and still works ok.  And I've used really big hammers on it in the past ;)

Its probably outlived some of the hammers ::)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2013, 18:15:47 »

Yep mines over 40 years old and still works ok.  And I've used really big hammers on it in the past ;)

Dare I say it, tools manufactured 40yrs ago are far superior to tools manufactured now.  I have spanners, sockets, ratchets etc from my Grandfather which are still pristine.  'High-Quality' tools of today fail in comparison.  :-\
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2013, 20:02:38 »

Dare I say it, tools manufactured 40yrs ago are far superior to tools manufactured now.  I have spanners, sockets, ratchets etc from my Grandfather which are still pristine.  'High-Quality' tools of today fail in comparison.  :-\

Agreed  :y  Still got a Gordons AF/Whit socket set bought in 1963 all in good condition including ratchet - and believe me they've had a hard life.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.