Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch removal  (Read 1676 times)

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
Scratch removal
« on: 01 April 2013, 16:58:02 »

What do you guys reckon is best for getting rid of scratches on the paintwork? I've noticed one or two, can barely see them to be honest but now I've noticed them they are bugging me.
Is T-cut the way to go or is there something else that works better?

OmegaAnglesey

Re: Scratch removal
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2013, 17:22:05 »

Tried Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 a week ago and found it pretty much useless barely did anything, but it did help a little on very very light scratches which where barely visible in the first place.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2013, 17:22:43 »

age of paint , depth of scratch determines what to do.. (if old paint polishing relatively deep scratches will remove laquer)

if it can catch your finger nail it cant be polished out.. needs to be filled with paint several times than sanded (2000 wet) and laquered and sanded (2000 wet) and polished..

I recommend taping around the scratch area as close as possible.. you can use a tiny brush for those jobs or spray gun..

if its not deep farecla G3 or t-cut will do the job
« Last Edit: 01 April 2013, 17:26:18 by cem »

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2013, 17:24:31 »

T-cut will remove most scratches if they are only in the colour coat or lacquer  :y only use the red t-cut as the blue is as much use as a wet blanket ::)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2013, 17:36:17 »

age of paint , depth of scratch determines what to do.. (if old paint polishing relatively deep scratches will remove laquer)

if it can catch your finger nail it cant be polished out.. needs to be filled with paint several times than sanded (2000 wet) and laquered and sanded (2000 wet) and polished..

I recommend taping around the scratch area as close as possible.. you can use a tiny brush for those jobs or spray gun..

Agreed  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2013, 17:40:53 »

Agreed  :y

thanks Dbug :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2013, 19:54:19 »

and must add, the filling with laquer must be very tiny and not higher than general laquer level..  and when sanding use very tiny force ..

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2013, 00:19:53 »

Tried Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 a week ago and found it pretty much useless barely did anything, but it did help a little on very very light scratches which where barely visible in the first place.
Had quite good results with x2 personally. 5 or 6 cycles of machine polishing might be needed.(Black car with heavy swirls)
Its probably as aggressive as it can safely be without doing damage. In my very limited experience anyway.

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2013, 00:21:28 »

I recently noticed that i had some very light scratches on my bonnet and thought about using t-cut. The same day i was in my local Homebase store and saw a video presentation for a scratch remover called Mantis. I was a bit sceptical, but as the tube of scratch remover was "non abrasive" and only around a tenner i thought i would give it a go. I followed the instructions which were easy and clear and i found it worked perfectly. You only need the tube of scratch remover and a micro fibre cloth. Speak as i find, this worked brilliantly for me. 

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2013, 00:33:03 »

I recently noticed that i had some very light scratches on my bonnet and thought about using t-cut. The same day i was in my local Homebase store and saw a video presentation for a scratch remover called Mantis. I was a bit sceptical, but as the tube of scratch remover was "non abrasive" and only around a tenner i thought i would give it a go. I followed the instructions which were easy and clear and i found it worked perfectly. You only need the tube of scratch remover and a micro fibre cloth. Speak as i find, this worked brilliantly for me.

Yep depends on the depth of the scratch - quite often an ordinary polish will remove very light scratching. ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2013, 01:19:50 »

Brasso is a strong scratch remover use with care.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2013, 11:32:51 »

imo stone chips bigger problem than the scratches.. mostly on hood and front bumper..

3m protector film does its job and really protects them.. next time I paint miggy will cover the hood and front bumper completely..

and the big problem is that their cutting shape is irregular so they are still visible even if you paint inside :(

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2013, 13:51:26 »

T-Cut is the easiest and most simple solution :y. Works better than most things, and costs less than most things too.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.