Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why make every topic an argument?  (Read 5272 times)

05omegav6

Why make every topic an argument?
« on: 10 April 2013, 23:35:42 »

Been happening alot over the past few months. Some of us more guilty than others, and for various reasons.

Cem, I choose my words carefully,

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deliberately

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/obnoxious

Both used with free choice, because that is how I feel your responses become. Sometimes slowly, chipping a bit here and a bit there, sometimes much more quickly.

I consider myself a friend of Chris', and felt your provocative post to be in extremely poor taste, whether meant in jest or not. Hence my considered response. Time after time, sensible discussions on a variety of topics are being destroyed with narrow-minded and ill considered arguments and it seems to me they all have something in common.

You invited me to speak my mind, and I have.

Al.

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
Re: Why make every topic an argument?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2013, 23:40:35 »

i thought obnoxious was a slimming thing :) ok i will leave the post now :'(

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2013, 23:45:44 »

I have to agree, I find that I am posting less and less in the more serious threads, we seem to have lost the acceptance of differing opinions...... :-X I put together a draft for the benefits thread, from personal and professional point of view, from day to day real life experiences / situations, but chose not to post.... :( I want a 'bit of crack' not to be Jumped on from on high.... :(  and imo cem would not be my first choice of people who seem to not allow a differing point of view or opinion, right or wrong, or ever refuse to have the last word..... :-X

I can do Banter, and STMO, bless him, has been trying to put a bit of humor back, some people take this far too seriously impo...... :(
« Last Edit: 10 April 2013, 23:47:54 by Vamps »

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2013, 00:00:30 »

i try not to be too serious on here dont get me wrong i take the people seriously and in this particular instance in seriousness its my opinion Al has been inticed and really what would you expect after replys to posts on other subjects too

If you actually read what people say on here you get an idea of what they are about and generally where to draw the line. I personally still think this forum is great and enjoy the people on it

hopefully the line will be realised and everyone will move on

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2013, 00:10:10 »

i try not to be too serious on here dont get me wrong i take the people seriously and in this particular instance in seriousness its my opinion Al has been inticed and really what would you expect after replys to posts on other subjects too

If you actually read what people say on here you get an idea of what they are about and generally where to draw the line. I personally still think this forum is great and enjoy the people on it

hopefully the line will be realised and everyone will move on

I am sure it will, we have been here before, sadly though we loose posters, not necessarily members, on the way. I have noticed this recently, quite a few member's absences...... :(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2013, 07:10:23 »

It's one of the reasons I'm taking a bit of a break ;) I'm not coming on here as much as I used to because I found my mouse hovering over the delete button on several occasions recently :'(
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2013, 07:33:30 »

It's one of the reasons I'm taking a bit of a break ;) I'm not coming on here as much as I used to because I found my mouse hovering over the delete button on several occasions recently :'(
Jump...Jump...Jump....Jump... ;D

mantahatch

« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2013, 08:08:01 »

I too find myself writing long replies and then not posting them  :y It is odd we cannot " agree to disagree" on quite a few subjects, and on occasions revert to "nastiness" for want ofv a better word.

And on the subject of STEMO, well it took me a very long time to "get" understand your sense of humour. I kind of get it now, and can laugh at/with most of them but I would say be careful with the newbies. They may be more delicate than those who have been around a few years.

I have only met about 4 people off the forum individually not at a meet. I think we need to say people are a bit different "in the flesh" and when you speak to them personally you realize how they are. I would like to think I am a better person "in the flesh" than how I come across in the written word.

There are one or two on here who come across as just "blunt" with me and a few others. I assume they think they know better because they earn more money than I do or have more knowledge on a particular subject than I do. It can also come across as ignorant and demeaning as they have no idea what I know or don't know. I have caught one person out on here, then again they may just not want to answer my PM.

Hey ho, who cares, the world will go on with or with out us. We are merely a tiny few in a very large world, get on with your lives.

Just my useless ramblings as always  ;D ;D

Rog

« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2013, 08:41:21 »

I like to try and chip in when I see something that interests me, or on which I have a concise opinion, or that I find amusing.

But all too often these days a topic descends into a series of long debates, and rants that quite fankly I can't even be arsed to read.

cleggy

« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2013, 08:57:55 »

I like to try and chip in when I see something that interests me, or on which I have a concise opinion, or that I find amusing.

But all too often these days a topic descends into a series of long debates, and rants that quite fankly I can't even be arsed to read.

I have to agree, and seem to drift off topic :(

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2013, 09:20:10 »

Been happening alot over the past few months. Some of us more guilty than others, and for various reasons.

Both used with free choice, because that is how I feel your responses become. Sometimes slowly, chipping a bit here and a bit there, sometimes much more quickly.

I consider myself a friend of Chris', and felt your provocative post to be in extremely poor taste, whether meant in jest or not. Hence my considered response. Time after time, sensible discussions on a variety of topics are being destroyed with narrow-minded and ill considered arguments and it seems to me they all have something in common.

Al.

Al, most of the time  how you tell something is more important than what you say.. And sometimes timing is also very critical to what you say..

You take part on a discussion , without being objective on between two persons which also disturbed me several times.. :(   always taking one side and being more provocative instead of being helpful and calming down..  :(  You didnt care about how many times I'm provoked by someone and invited to an argument.. And definitely I'm not the single member who lived this scenario.. Many people see that happening but you only look from one side..

and latest example was When I said I know how to provoke Chris.. I just wanted to invite him to come here in a joking manner.. And you were so full of your fix thought and was far away from seeing my intention.. and told me that I finally accept this.. and that was complete nonsense..

I still remember how you behave and what words you use when I criticise you for recommending n th order tyre ..
if using this kinds of words on a argument is your habit, I recommend you change it..

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2013, 09:22:46 »

Most forums seem to head in this direction sooner or later. The reason people join, surely, is because it's a forum where they can ask a specific question about their omega. Most answers (99.999%) are available just by reading, no need to join. Out of the 12000 odd members, very few contribute on a regular basis.
So....most people gravitate towards general discussion which, although not the primary function of the forum, is certainly the busiest. It is the only section of the forum where a personal opinion is genuinely valid. The technical parts are mostly cut-and-dried, where a specific question has (mostly) a specific answer.
Now to expect ordinary folk to respect each others point of view, without argument (not discussion) and friction, esp on such emotive subjects as welfare, politics etc., would be akin to trying to make a better world. Gen diss is what humans do and no amount of  self-evaluation is going to change that. Personally, I try to take it all with a pinch of salt. There will be some very genuine people on here, but there will also be a few who are nothing like their online persona. It is emotionally dangerous to get too involved.
So, in conclusion, if you want people to stop acting like people, then you are on a hiding to nothing.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2013, 09:28:56 »

Al.

Al, most of the time  how you tell something is more important than what you say.. And sometimes timing is also very critical to what you say..

You take part on a discussion , without being objective on between two persons which also disturbed me several times.. :(   always taking one side and being more provocative instead of being helpful and calming down..  :(  You didnt care about how many times I'm provoked by someone and invited to an argument.. And definitely I'm not the single member who lived this scenario.. Many people see that happening but you only look from one side..

and latest example was When I said I know how to provoke Chris.. I just wanted to invite him to come here in a joking manner.. And you were so full of your fix thought and was far away from seeing my intention.. and told me that I finally accept this.. and that was complete nonsense..

I still remember how you behave and what words you use when I criticise you for recommending n th order tyre ..
if using this kinds of words on a argument is your habit, I recommend you change it..

and that sums up most of the problem .... IMHO .. telling someone how they should behave, speak, or answer your posts is arrogant, conceited and .. TBH .. downright rude.

We respect your right to "speak out" on subjects that we might think you have little knowledge on .. "UK politics" being one .. where you have lectured us  unceasingly ... but you then try and tell others how and what to say ?  nah .. not on .. IMHO

[I have just deleted some stronger words to avoid accusations of provocation ....but I can soon reinstate them.]

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2013, 09:30:47 »

Al.

and that sums up most of the problem .... IMHO .. telling someone how they should behave, speak, or answer your posts is arrogant, conceited and .. TBH .. downright rude.

We respect your right to "speak out" on subjects that we might think you have little knowledge on .. "UK politics" being one .. where you have lectured us  unceasingly ... but you then try and tell others how and what to say ?  nah .. not on .. IMHO

[I have just deleted some stronger words to avoid accusations of provocation ....but I can soon reinstate them.]

same is true fo your style also Entwood :-\

STMO123

« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2013, 09:34:11 »

I rest my case.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.