Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: St Georges day  (Read 2675 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
St Georges day
« on: 23 April 2013, 06:57:45 »

Happy St Georges day to you all :y
Retired

I_want_an_Omega

Re: St Georges day
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2013, 07:14:03 »

& you Pete ..........

Might be worth listening out for church bells around the country today - if you hear them being rung then that's why  :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2013, 07:39:02 »

Got one on the door step, bell practice tonight but sunny sunday mornings are the best :y
Retired

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2013, 08:00:27 »

You ought to have a go ....

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2013, 09:29:39 »

I spent many a happy time as a campagnologist - don't knock it til you've tried it
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2013, 09:47:54 »

Interestingly, they have a public holiday in Rio - Brasil for St Georges day!

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2013, 10:01:08 »

I spent many a happy time as a campagnologist - don't knock it til you've tried it

I dont think anybody is actually. You say spent - which sort of indicates that you dont do so any longer. Why did you stop & what level did you progress to? I've laid hand on the odd rope myself and still have a go occasionally  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2013, 10:15:12 »

Yep, cheers Pete  :y

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2013, 10:45:29 »

I dont think anybody is actually. You say spent - which sort of indicates that you dont do so any longer. Why did you stop & what level did you progress to? I've laid hand on the odd rope myself and still have a go occasionally  :y

I was really into it in my early to mid teens and used to go to practice in different churches every night of the week except Saturday. My base church had a peal of 12 bells and I did the usual Stedman, Bob Major etc. On Saturdays I went on what they called "tower grabs" where you would drive to prebooked sessions at other places - so I have rung bells at Liverpool and Manchester Cathedrals, York Minster, Wakefield Cathedral (interestingly), Selby Abbey and so on. I also visited the bell foundry at Loughborough

I was introduced to bell ringing by my music teacher but after about 15/16 had discovered other things and rebelled - never to return.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2013, 10:54:17 »

Aren't forums great? I'd never have realised so many of us are/were ringers.
I only gave up when work patterns meant I had no idea when I was able to attend.

Tower grabs were always fun, £10 a wedding was always handy as a kid, striking competitions were interesting, and on one memorable district outing we drank a pub dry of beer. All good social occasions.

I rang handbells for a several years too.

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2013, 11:05:17 »

I was really into it in my early to mid teens and used to go to practice in different churches every night of the week except Saturday. My base church had a peal of 12 bells and I did the usual Stedman, Bob Major etc. On Saturdays I went on what they called "tower grabs" where you would drive to prebooked sessions at other places - so I have rung bells at Liverpool and Manchester Cathedrals, York Minster, Wakefield Cathedral (interestingly), Selby Abbey and so on. I also visited the bell foundry at Loughborough

I was introduced to bell ringing by my music teacher but after about 15/16 had discovered other things and rebelled - never to return.

You ought to take it up again - I understand that people can pick it up again quite easily. Did you do many peals & 1/4s? I don't do as much as I'd like - & wish I'd started in my teens rather than at 48! I've rung @ Liverpool Cathedral as well - even got to ring the tenor   8). Also, Lincoln (of course), Guildford & Oxford Cathedrals.

In 2006 I spent the best part of 6 weeks working in Cookham's tower - when it was augmented from 8 to 10 bells. Very interesting indeed - they used a group of local helpers to keep the cost down. I did the "first ring" on one of the newly cast bells which were added to make the 8 to 10.

I usually go to local 6 & 8 bell towers, feeling much more comfortable on 6 if I'm honest.

This has got my thoughts going - I might even try and organise a 1/4 peal for this evening - it would be a shame not to on St Georges day wouldn't it. Nothing too complex - plain bob minor or the like.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2013, 11:21:58 »

I rang at Rochester cathedral which has the heaviest 10 in the area, and at St Andrew's in Plymouth when visiting my grandparents, so I was much happier on heavy bells. They sound better too.

We were limited to 3 peals a year, so they were generally saved for something special, but I've rung several quarters.
A couple were even on practice nights when only 8 of us turned up
I often consider starting again, which will have to wait until my hours change. 12 hour shifts finishing at 20:00 really screws your social life.    A

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 April 2013, 11:31:23 »

Would not go back to it now as too many things on and I am a sort of "been there,done that" type.

I am currently reading a book on the Munroes and studying places to stay much to my wife's dismay as she does not want to spend time in the north of Scotland - we have done Ben Nevis, (well almost go to top but had to turn back due to bad weather) but would like to do some walking up there while I can - getting off topic - sorry!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 April 2013, 13:26:51 »

Yep, cheers Pete  :y

Loving the avatar Chris :y
Retired

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2013, 13:35:04 »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.