Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishbones & Alignment  (Read 2096 times)

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
Wishbones & Alignment
« on: 24 April 2013, 06:46:16 »

Looks like I will be leaving this excellent forum, but more on that in a separate post.  I have loaned my Omega Estate to a neighbour who has found that he likes it so much that he wants to buy it.  Regular readers will remember that the car is suffering from shaking or oscillating at the front and the collective wisdom was that it was the front bushes on the front wishbones worn out.  My prospective new owner wants to sort this out and has sourced new wishbones from Poland at a very attractive price.  At first I was suspicious of the quality, but then I learned that they are Lemforder items which should be fine.
The bit that concerns me is that he is suggesting he gets the local garage to fit the wishbones, they have quoted £35 to replace both arms and £12 for tracking if needed.  I cannot see how they can do a proper job for this cost.  What does the forum think?
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Wishbones & Alignment
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2013, 08:39:07 »

The bit that concerns me is that he is suggesting he gets the local garage to fit the wishbones, they have quoted £35 to replace both arms and £12 for tracking if needed.  I cannot see how they can do a proper job for this cost.  What does the forum think?

Each wishbone is only held by 3 bolts, so, considering they will have the car in the air & it'll be easy access for them, it'll not take them long at all to fit - tell them to be careful of the HID light's level switch on the passenger side arm.
'Tracking' though won't be good enough ......  ;)  ;)  ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2013, 10:01:08 »

And tell them not to torque up the bolts until they have got the cars weight loaded back onto the wheels or the back bush will just fail again :y

fastandy36

• Corby, Northants.
  • First-Time Omega owner.01 Elite Model. What a car
    • omega 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2013, 10:21:30 »

And tell them not to torque up the bolts until they have got the cars weight loaded back onto the wheels or the back bush will just fail again :y
Top Tip mate.. I've been toying with the idea of doing mine too, and wouldnt have considered that. cheers.
'Fasty'

Big_Al

« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2013, 10:41:10 »

Any  chance of posting the web address of where these were supplied from please?

As I  need a pair myself soon   :y

TIA  AL

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2013, 14:09:33 »

Sorry, there is no web address involved.  My neighbour is Polish and the wishbones are being supplied by his brother in Poland who is in the trade.  He is not able to undertake any further supplies.

Any  chance of posting the web address of where these were supplied from please?

As I  need a pair myself soon   :y

TIA  AL
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2013, 22:15:22 »

Top Tip mate.. I've been toying with the idea of doing mine too, and wouldnt have considered that. cheers.
It`s only the front bushes you need to do that with and if you`ve got polyurethane bushes on the front then you don`t need to bother at all  :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2013, 19:45:11 »

Looks like I will be leaving this excellent forum, but more on that in a separate post.  I have loaned my Omega Estate to a neighbour who has found that he likes it so much that he wants to buy it.  Regular readers will remember that the car is suffering from shaking or oscillating at the front and the collective wisdom was that it was the front bushes on the front wishbones worn out.  My prospective new owner wants to sort this out and has sourced new wishbones from Poland at a very attractive price.  At first I was suspicious of the quality, but then I learned that they are Lemforder items which should be fine.

Front brake discs.

Worn suspension components will modify the way that wheel vibration manifests itself but something (ie a rotating component such as a wheel or brake disk) has to be out of balance to start the vibration in the first place.

I fitted new ball joints and bushes (including poly front bushes) to my car 3 weeks ago. While I was doing the job I noticed that the brake pads were 2/3 worn so I replaced them. While replacing them I knocked some lumps of rust off the circumference of the brake discs.

Before I changed the bushes the car had wayward steering but not a hint of vibration/wheel wobble. After the change the steering was sharper but I now had dreadful vibration through the steering wheel between 65 and 80mph.

Last weekend I used an angle grinder to take all the obvious rust off the circumference of the front discs and I now have sharp steering and (almost) no vibration/wheel wobble. :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

John-R

• Liverpool
    • 2003 2.6 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2013, 13:48:56 »

Need to do mine too. Can you advise the correct torque ??
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose . . but you can't pick your friends nose !

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2013, 15:28:31 »

IIRC, it's 110nm then 30 degreee, then 15 degrees :y

If fitting poly bushes, and ONLY then, you can torque the bolts with the car in the air :y

Do that with regular bushes and they will last less than a week :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2013, 15:41:29 »

And tell them not to torque up the bolts until they have got the cars weight loaded back onto the wheels or the back FRONT bush will just fail again :y

Corrected :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.