Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious advice please  (Read 2489 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Serious advice please
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2013, 13:10:22 »

I would tell the second company that you can't make it during office hours, and you're now working, and could you meet them outside hours?

That way, you're not closing the door on them, you're showing that you're committed to the job you're doing now (which is one you've actually been offered, after all). If they are keen enough they'll talk to you outside office hours, even if it's just a phone interview at first.

Finding something else will be easier from a position of being in work, or at least having recently been in work, if the one you've been offered doesn't work out, so don't let go of that, IMHO, unless, as Mark says, one of them really floats your boat more than the other.

I was about to add pretty much what Kevins has just said above, go for a early evening interview, also shows them your commitment to your new Job and not wanting to mess them around on your first day also adds some qualification on the interview as to whether there prepared to put them selves out and to want to meet you anyway.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 April 2013, 13:19:51 »

Indeed, I would definately be going for the other interview by some means

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 April 2013, 13:46:29 »

Whichever option you choose, good luck, Pete. :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 April 2013, 13:55:03 »

Agree with Kevin on this Pete.

Just be upfront with both of them.
Your current boss may take the lead and offer you full time employment if he knows you are been head hunted and if the potential second boss is keen then he will be quite happy to be flexable over the interview if he thinks you are the man for him  ;)

Good luck whichever way you go  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 26 April 2013, 16:01:18 »

I would tell the second company that you can't make it during office hours, and you're now working, and could you meet them outside hours?

That way, you're not closing the door on them, you're showing that you're committed to the job you're doing now (which is one you've actually been offered, after all). If they are keen enough they'll talk to you outside office hours, even if it's just a phone interview at first.

Finding something else will be easier from a position of being in work, or at least having recently been in work, if the one you've been offered doesn't work out, so don't let go of that, IMHO, unless, as Mark says, one of them really floats your boat more than the other.

Unfortunately beggars can't be choosers at the moment :-\

What you don't want to do is alienate the first boss/job, just because the second, potential job, might be a better prospect.

If you blow off the first job and don't get the second one where does that leave you :-\

Best of luck though :y

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 April 2013, 16:22:31 »

agree with Kevin Wood - you are interested but cannot make that particular time
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

bigbadee

• plymouth
  • sorry about the spelling
    • omega diesel 2003/2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2013, 16:40:05 »

lots of different advice, like you ive been out of work for a long time and to be honest have been to so many interviews cant count them  all. I would say that the first job is a sert so don't throw it away second one is at best a maybe. if you can get the second interview in without the first boss finding out whats the harm but in the end its up to you what you do but good luck with it and hope it works out for you (I know how hard it is being out of work it ant just the money)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2013, 16:42:02 »

I can't see them hanging on until 5.30/6.00 until I can get there for an interview but I won't know until I ask I suppose.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :y
Retired

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 April 2013, 16:44:14 »

lots of different advice, like you ive been out of work for a long time and to be honest have been to so many interviews cant count them  all. I would say that the first job is a sert so don't throw it away second one is at best a maybe. if you can get the second interview in without the first boss finding out whats the harm but in the end its up to you what you do but good luck with it and hope it works out for you (I know how hard it is being out of work it ant just the money)

Thats what i'm worried about. The bloke has been good enough to give me a chance so wouldn't want him saying thats it after 2 months because he's poxed off with me dissapearing on my 3rd day ::)
Retired

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 April 2013, 16:47:50 »

I'd go to him and say .."I have a problem .. you've offered me 2 months, I've a chance at a job that will give me 6 months, are you able to help me by giving me time off for the interview .. I'll work the time back at YOUR convenience" ....

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 April 2013, 17:08:53 »

As the first job is only a temp with, (i assume) , no guarantee,s ,  ;)i think it,s in your interest to at least
find out about the second one. Best of luck on what you decide as well. ;)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 April 2013, 18:28:57 »

I'd be slightly dubious as to whether I'd lose the first job, and then not end up with the second anyway. As said ask for an out of hours interview if possible, I also wouldn't mention anything to your current boss to be honest. Best of luck with whatever you decide though, and hope it all works out :y.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 April 2013, 18:54:20 »

Firstly congrats on getting a job ive been trying for a couple of years now, its still very hard out there and the whole job hunting process had changed so much very much harder for old school people.

echoing really what others have said better off not telling your new employer about it. Trying to arrange an out of hours meeting should not be unuasual,or ask to put the interview to a later date so its not so close tou your start date. But if not you can only tell your employer you have a prevoius comitment you need to sort out and try and get the interview for 1st thing or last thing at night.
the age of being totaly honest has sadly gone , you need to look after number 1.

But at the end of the day whatever you decide worst case senario you have a job and i do belive its easier to get another job when you are already employed besides there is a chance your employment could be extended

all the best with it Pete well done :y

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2013, 19:37:05 »

Congrats on getting a job  :y, if it was me, I reckon I would take the 2 month job, head down, work hard and hope that they keep you on. As others have said, you have this job, the other is only an interview .
Whatever you decide, all the best  :y :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.